Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
what to do with this non working fireplace
graphicninja5
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
attached are pics of the fireplace of our new home that will be a rental property, we were thinking of making it into an entertainment center with the tv above it, any ideas about repainting it or anything would be great help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
I would make it into a propane fireplace. Since you're going to rent it out you wouldn't have to worry about a fire hazard it would still keep the charm and desirability of the rental.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:15PM
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Here are some possibilities.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:29PM
onthefence
eagledzines, personally I don't think I'd do the propane FP. I've been reading some reviews and it appears they can put off quite an odor - enough to make people sick. There are people too that it doesn't bother. In any case, I don't think I'd take a chance with making a renter sick. Could get ugly ;-)

I saw a few non-working FP photos here. Candles always work if it's fireproof paint and surround. Otherwise, I'd leave it to the renter.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:30PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Glad you brought that up onthefence. I hadn't heard that.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:32PM
onthefence
Not to derail this thread - but here's a recent thread on the ventless fireplace eagledzines. Definitely pros and cons - but even a company who deals in these acknowledges the odor. I found it interesting. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/329851/Ventless-Gas-Fireplace---does-anyone-have

And now, back to our regularly scheduled non-working fireplace decorating!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:38PM
solraven
Personally, I would take it out. Decorating around a real fireplace is almost always a challenge, but if it isn't even working, I just don't see the point. If it was a beautiful period fireplace, like in a Victorian, then I'd work with it. This fireplace is taking up valuable real estate and isn't particularly attractive.

You could retro-fit it for a TV, but what if your tenants don't want the TV in that location, or don't want it that high? I see it as a challenge that isn't adding value. IMHO
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:41PM
PRO
Eagledzines
I took a look at that thread onthefence. That is talking about a ventless propane. Yes, I've heard there can be problems from the ventless ones. Thought about putting one in my shop but then decided not to for the same reason. Some models are vented though. That one would be appropriate for this instance if they decided to go that route and a vented one shouldn't produce the problem.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:53PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I would remove it and have floor to ceiling wall to wall book shelves built into the space. An area in the book shelves could be dedicated to a tv... if it has the right wiring required to support that
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:15PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Here is an example of the book shelves. These have an enclosed section at the bottom... but I would just do open shelves all the way to a base.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:22PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Here is a similar example. Theirs does not go all the way up... but in your case it should.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:25PM
onthefence
Thanks for that info eagledzines. It's entirely likely I don't understand the process. When I looked at the photo above though, I don't see a place to vent. I could well be missing something!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:06PM
Joanne Heidkamp
Were you thinking about building the entertainment center around it, to hide it?
Depending on the price point of your rental, I think you could also just leave it; make it Very Clear to tenants that they can't put a fire in it; and then let them decorate it with candles, a flower arrangement, or whatever. If you remove it, you're going to have a squirrelly place in the floor to deal with.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:31PM
parsleycarrots
For a rental home, I wouldn't put too much effort into the fireplace, other than giving the bricks a good coat of paint. You certainly don't want it operable as it will become an insurance liability, and removing it is a big messy job.

You can install some bookshelves on either side, or a few cabinets, just keep in mind that you don't want to block the vent on the left side. The tenants may want to put a tv above the fireplace, if that is the case an appropriate sized wall mount device can be installed. Otherwise, a mirror or a nice painting would look good.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:54PM
bojaby
It really is not an attractive fireplace and I would consider a fireplace a liability in rental property. Just remove any trim and have the wall completely drywalled. This will give the renters. opportunity to use as they want and to more easily arrange furniture.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 4:08PM
libradesigneye
I disagree with bojaby - even a non-working fireplace offers some charm and if you add a candle rack inside, it may well sell your place. I'd go so far as to add a thick wood dark stained box mantle to the top that can later be removed, but offers a deeper level shelf to stand art or television on. Not every renter is going to have a flatscreen, but if they do they can use the shelf or give permission for them to mount wall anchor.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:32PM
hormonal
Get rid of it. I agree with putting a bookcase there. It is akward with the doorway anyway.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 4:34PM
Darzy
I think I would remove it if it doesn't work and it is using up valuable square footage. If you sold the house you couldn't market it with a fireplace anyway. But, there is also the faux firewood that use the gel fuel cans which burns clean and odorless. But, the gel cans are expensive. But, then you'll have to worry that a renter won't try to start a "real" fire in it.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:57PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Ah, yes onthefence, that could be.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:17PM