Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
PLEASE HELP WITH LIVING ROOM DECOR!!! THANKS
Nakia Shaw
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
this is my living room, the walls are gray and the carpet is gray as well. The furniture is a rich chocolate and I have no idea on what to do next! I found those tables and accessories at a thriftstore :-). I feel like something is missing... Please keep in mind that this is a military property so its not too much we can do other than painting and or adding accessories to make it a little more family friendly and warm for the next 3 years :-) Thanks everyone!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nakia Shaw
The picture frame is no longer on coffee table...
February 11, 2013 at 11:27AM   
movethisnotthat
in the military ?? Thanks for your service !! Good finds from the thrift store, is the couch floating in the space? The mirrors seem kind of high, is there another place for them? I love the orange with the gray. Adding more orange would be good pillows. Is a rug out of the budget? Easy "cheap" art for your space could be as simple as the biggest 2 pieces of framed canvas and paint them your accent color and one or 2 other colors. Simple and easy to take up space, if you want things easy with clean lines.
2 tall things on the coffee table...not so good, add a 3rd or take one away. :) Can't wait to see your space develop !!
February 11, 2013 at 11:48AM     
Nakia Shaw
@movethisnotthat thank you so much. And I really appreciate your help. I agree about the mirrors! Should I use artwork instead? And I also rearranged the coffee table. Thanks again
February 11, 2013 at 1:52PM   
decoenthusiaste
Your free floating art and mirrors should have their centers at 60" above the floor. Those items hung above furniture should be 4-8" above the piece they're with and visually attach to the piece. A colorful area rug large enough for the sofa to sit entirely on would look great. Check out one that has some orange and gray in it.

February 11, 2013 at 1:58PM     
Nakia Shaw
@Decoenthusiaste hello there! That's some great information! Thanks so much. I couldn't figure out why I really don't like the mirrors behind the couch??? So this weekend I'm going to lower them. You and others have pointed it out to me that the mirrors are way to high. And where did you see this cool rug?
February 11, 2013 at 3:10PM   
debsio
Add some pillows for interest. Hobby Lobby has the new chevron pattern throw pillow covers that are very reasonable. Add a rug with some color and curtains to match. A plant would be nice
February 11, 2013 at 3:17PM   
Manon Floreat
I'd like to see the space brightened up a bit. A light area rug and some more lighting would help. Perhaps a floor lamp to the right of the sofa would help. The mirrors flanking the window look a little out of sorts. I would consider pairing them side by side on the wall space to the right of the sofa and add a few more pieces for a gallery wall.

You could also look into stationary window panels to flank the large window. It would add some dimension to the room and color. I think the ones below are quite fabulous. Paired with the rug - it's a symphony of delight waiting to happen!

A slipper chair tucked in the corner by the window would round out the seating. How do you feel about this little zebra number for a touch of the exotique?
February 11, 2013 at 3:29PM     
Nakia Shaw
@Manon Floreat Absolutely love love love he items you posted below!!!! I'm so new to this and I'm having so much fun learning how to express myself through my decor in our home. The wall has that one window in the center and the wall is very large and it's vaulted. So do you think placing the mirrors side by side would still work?
February 11, 2013 at 3:59PM   
decoenthusiaste
The rug is from homedecorators.com. They have lots and you can shop by color, style, material, etc..
February 11, 2013 at 4:03PM     
Nakia Shaw
@debsio hello, never heard of hobby lobby! I will check out the website. And I found a plant online for 30 bucks its a large floor plant. Thanks so much. Really appreciate everything
February 11, 2013 at 4:04PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Thank you so much for your service to our country. The sofa really needs to have light colored throw pillows. It looks far to dark and heavy. You can find these very well priced at Home Goods.
February 11, 2013 at 4:05PM     
Nakia Shaw
@interiors International, Inc. l you are very welcome! And thank you for your help! I will check out home goods Also, should I use burnt orange and other colors too? Or just one pop color? Thanks
February 11, 2013 at 4:17PM   
Nakia Shaw
Thanks a bunch again! @Decorenthusiaste
February 11, 2013 at 4:18PM   
Nakia Shaw
@Manon Floreat. Can you please tell me where I can find the items you posted? That hair is everything :-)
February 11, 2013 at 4:25PM   
debsio
If you did not want the expense of a rug you could find colorful placemats for table for quick color splash
February 11, 2013 at 4:30PM     
tyost
Depending on budget, maybe smaller furniture...couch, loves eat, chair. It would make space appear larger.
February 11, 2013 at 4:35PM   
debsio
Your arched window is very nice. Look for things that would enhance this architectural feature like shutters or possibly some wrought iron sculpture
February 11, 2013 at 4:39PM     
hmschoolmom
Nakia - you are in luck! There is a Hobby Lobby near San Diego if that is where you are stationed. You will love it. More fun shopping for economical decor are TJ Maxx and Home Goods also in/near San Diego.

Pretty dining set! I love your idea of the orange as a pop color for pillows etc. I agree that the pillows need to be lighter.
Is it possible to move the sectional away from being centered on that window wall? Maybe towards the left and then the mirrors can hang side by side above the couch? (not too high, like mentioned). Or perhaps replace with a large piece of art with your pop colors. Do you have a tv/entertainment ctr in there or other focal point? just wondering what else is in the room.
February 11, 2013 at 4:55PM     
hmschoolmom
Or move the sectional toward the right/large window? Just thinking that the window looks too narrow above the sectional.
February 11, 2013 at 4:57PM     
Manon Floreat
Lol - that chair is pretty fantastic! It's by Schnadig. You can find out more about it here: http://www.schnadig.com/index.cfm/furniture/catalog.product/sid/1/cid/10/pid/53/start/1/maxine-slipper-chair.cfm

The floor lamp is the Hepburn Floor Lamp and you can find it at Arcadian Home: http://arcadianhome.com/ad-4019-22

Wayfair also has it for a little cheaper, but I can't get the link to embed.

The curtains are custom, but the fabric is by Schumacher: http://www.fschumacher.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=175044

I found the rug at Candelabra:
http://www.shopcandelabra.com/jaipur-flat-weave-rug-white-and-orange.html

Keep in mind, the above are just concepts. You'll be able to find something just wonderful, if not exactly the same, if you shop around a bit.

Interiors International makes a good recommendation regarding the throw pillows. Check out Etsy for handmade and one of a kind pieces. The prices are good, too! Also, if you're at all handy, pillow covers and curtain panels are super easy to make.

There are so many good ideas here for you. I hope you keep us up to date with your progress.
February 11, 2013 at 5:00PM   
Nakia Shaw
@Manon Floreat :-) yes indeed!!! I'm going to keep you all updated!!!! You guys really saved the day and is helping me pull out creativity!!!!!!! Thanks sooooo much!
February 11, 2013 at 5:16PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You can definitional use more than one color. Group complimentary colors using patterns and solids.
February 11, 2013 at 5:17PM     
Nakia Shaw
@hmschomom where have I been all this time LOL!!! Wish I would've been found this website years ago For you guys help" lol Such wonderful ideas!!! I don't have entertainment center yet, and the living room flows into the dining area. I'm excited to put in work this weekend and shop around. And I will google the hobby lobby location. Thankfully we are stationed in San Diego :-) I will keep you posted. Thanks
February 11, 2013 at 5:23PM   
hmschoolmom
Can't wait to see the progress in your living room and any fun items you find at those places. I'm personally addicted to both Hobby Lobby and TJ Maxx for fun accent pieces at great prices.
February 11, 2013 at 7:43PM