Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my master bedroom and bath
breicks
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have purchased a new home and need to update the master bedroom and bath. I am not a fan or the light blue carpet or the blue in the bathroom but it has to stay so I want to tone it down. We will be getting new furtniture and removing the blue window treatments. I was thinking gray paint on the walls or brown and tan. Please help with paint colors, window treatments, decor, etc!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend room darkening Roman Shades. I think that drapery would be a bit heavy for the room .
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 12:29PM
Judy Haggy-Mcclane
charcol gray wood look very good with black amd tan checked curtains
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 12:30PM
carole
for the bathroom,i would paint the cabinet white,the walls tan and find accesoires in white and brown and gray
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 1:11PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Before you consider any colour - ask yourself the following questions:
What direction does this room face? When is it at its brightest? How much of the day is it in the shade? Does it feel cold/warm? Does it feel low/tall? Does it feel cramped/spacious?

All these factors will affect how the colour you choose will show on the wall (the same paint can have completely different looks based on which direction wall it is painted on and as well as the incredible impact of light on colour.
In a large light room, dark colours can be dramatic, in a small room lighter colours create space.

In your case whatever colour you choose, paint the ceiling two tones lighter than the walls to add height.
Also, if you do drapes, let them fall to the ground to create a visual column that adds height to the room.

I am sure you have your own likes and dislikes for colour (as we all do) do consider the advice before you take the final leap and paint the whole room.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 1:18PM
manvisudan
I think go for sum neutral shades like coral green or if u want pop colours dn i guess brown is way to go..mix n match two volours on wall like chocolate brown n light brown...go for rust colou accessories...for bathroom as u ve wooden cabinet brown is again gud..
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 1:21PM
Jayme H.
You could get a large area rug to downplay the carpet...
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 1:38PM
breicks
My only concern with gray is that it may appear to have a blue tint to it next to the carpet. Would you do charcoal gray on all the walls, or have one darker accent wall? I have also considered doing a brown accent wall with a tan color on the remaining walls but I think that may be too much..
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:41PM
breicks
I like the idea of the darkening roman shades!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:41PM
cherylkadams
Garage Floors
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:04PM
Jayme H.
A taupe-like paint may work also...the carpet almost looks like it has a greyish tone to it....Look at Benjamin Moore's "Neutrals".....
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 5:22AM
Jayme H.
I have some hideous blue carpet in my basement...not ready to replace...I put two, cream colored area rugs over it...I painted the wainscotting a creamy color (lower half of wall) and top half of walls a milk chocolate like color...seems like the carpet is less noticeable now although it is still on the "get rid of" list!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:57AM
decoenthusiaste
The most relaxed and secure sleep is obtained when the bed faces the door. Your low profile headboard will allow you to put the bed under the windows. Pull a pretty area rug half under the bed to help camouflage what you don't like. Move the dresser to the longer wall, chest of drawers to the dresser wall. Replace the fan with a drum chandy. Let the rug guide all your color choices!
Kara Weik © 2012 Houzz
Lake Iosco House interior
2012 New American Home
Lisa GYLLING
Cape Cod Renovation - Master Bedroom
George Kovacs Bling Bling Steel Drum Pendant Chandelier
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:15AM
Jayme H.
? Something like this with a large area rug similar to this color carpet, could be a sisal..
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:31AM
Judy Haggy-Mcclane
charcol gray is pretty dark so i wood do all of them or leave one white the gray will make the carpet look more gray than blue or evan one wall red it depends on what you like i did my bathroom in the charcol its a very nice color
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 12:24PM
breicks
Any suggestions for the bathroom?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:15PM
decoenthusiaste
For your bathroom you need an up to date light fixture, as the one you have provides more glare than useful light and is out of style. Looks like grey and beige are the colors of the permanent installations, so if your floor is staying, go with the grey/beige theme. Check out greige - a lot of shades that are based on grey and beige. I would paint the bath and bedroom walls with a greige. install new towel bars and light, put a roman style shade in the window. Ideally, I'd prefer to see the sink base and trim painted white, but if you're not doing the trim throughout the house, it should be left as is. For the sink base you might try and match a more grey shade of greige paint to the tub tile so the two chunky anchor pieces look consistent. What is the metallic folding door looking item to the right in the tub picture? Can that be removed? I'd suggest replacing all the fixtures, but your tub mount looks to be narrow and tricky. If you're replacing the tub though, get new faucets for all. If you don't like the large mirror you can remove and replace it but may have to work the wall a bit. You can also mount a decorative mirror on the plate mirror.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:10AM
breicks
The metallic folding door looking item to teh right in the tub picture is the shower door, I took the picture from inside the shower in order to get more of the tub in the picture. decoenthusiaste, you have been very helpful! Thank you!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:00AM
Judy Haggy-Mcclane
i would do a tanish color in bathroom and get tan rugs it looks like you have tan in your floor
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 12:20PM
breicks
I love the idea of the greige color in the bathroom and bedroom, new towel bars and light, and roman style shades for the windows. We will be keeping the sink base the way it is because the rest of the trim and cabinets, etc in our home are that color. We are looking to replace the light fixture and would like to frame the mirror in the bathroom, not sure if we should do that with the wood stain color or a rust color? Suggestions for color for the roman shades to go with the greige walls?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:07PM
breicks
I'm also not sure what should go above the tub in the bathroom, it's such a big wall.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:08PM
decoenthusiaste
I would keep the frame on the mirror matched to the base so it looks deliberate. A strip with a bit of color might be good for the roman. If the shower is separate from the tub, you might be able to hang a drum chandy over the tub. That would take up a lot of visual space and pull your eyes up and away from the older tub.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:00PM
breicks
How would it look if I did Sherwin William's Perfect Greige in the bathroom and the bedroom? Would you do an accent wall in the bedroom with Garret Gray or maybe Spalding Gray? Or just do all the walls Perfect Greige?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:09AM