Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom Design
drsherre
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need help on ways to pull our spare bedroom together into a nicely designed space! We have a blue/beige paisley duvet cover and dark hardwood furniture. There are oak hardwood floors and a dark chocolate shag rug, but we are open to changing the rug. Any recommendations on paint/drape/rug colors (or any other design ideas?)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carole
find your inspiration with art-deco,keep the brown rug,bring in a comfy chair in colors but different pattern(striped),lightblue wall behind the bed,other cream,some silver and/or coppercolored accesoires,black pictureframes,dont do the voloptues drapes,dark roman blind,keep it simple
February 11, 2013 at 4:09PM     
judianna20
Start with what you have…your bed. Layer your bedding. Make it more inviting and the focal point of the room. Find some decals which reflect your fabric for the walls. As carole suggested, two end tables and two colorful lamps. Fabric on the window, hung high.
Bedroom

These decals come in many colors.
Flower Burst Set of 12 Graphic Decals
Rens Sheepskin, White
Marquee Shimmering Faux Silk Pinch Pleat Drape
February 11, 2013 at 4:22PM     
PRO
Dytecture
I like this example below which has a hotel feel.

February 11, 2013 at 4:26PM     
PRO
Bradley Bayou
drsherre! - Definitely an easy start is adding some interest to the bedding by simply adding some layers (Think accent pillows or throws!). Most importantly, addressing the window treatments pull a color you like from the bedding and make it subtle, as to not clash with the bedding, but still able to pull it all together!
February 11, 2013 at 4:48PM     
Keitha
What about a wall that says WOW! If that is too much I have attached another nice option
February 11, 2013 at 4:57PM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Lovin' the wow wall Keitha posted - for a spare bedroom go for it!!!
February 12, 2013 at 4:17AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I agree I think a room darkening Roman shade would work best for the space.
February 12, 2013 at 6:51AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Let's start with your bedding. I would add a white quilt and 3 blue Euro shams. I'd place the quilt on the bed and fold the duvet at the foot of the bed (see Dytecture's photo above). Then I'd place the bed pillows that people use behind the 3 decorative Euro shams.

I'd paint the bed and window walls a darker shade of the blue from your duvet, place a small night stand on one side of the bed and a small round table on the other side. Add wall mounted swing arm lamps for reading in bed.

I love the roman shades that blindsdirect shows above, but you'll have to carefully match fabric and paint color with duvet color.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Classic rich and gleaming the Element Wall Swing Arm Lamp brightens any room eve Metal Accordion Side Table
February 12, 2013 at 7:31AM     
drsherre
Wow! Thank you all so very much. These definitely give me some great ideas to go with and sounds like my first task is to find some quilts/throws and pillows for the bed. Looking forward to shopping this weekend to shape this room up! Thank you all again for your expertise and inspiration!
February 13, 2013 at 8:10AM     
carole
will you show us what you buy this weekend????????????????????????????????????
February 13, 2013 at 8:28AM   
drsherre
Hi Carole - Yes, I would love to post the "after"! Not sure how much luck I will have in one weekend, but cross your fingers!
February 13, 2013 at 10:09AM