Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to decorate around large fireplace in open room
kellypoe
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What furniture would you place on either side of the fireplaces to decorate and balance? Long term I would like built-ins but how should I decorate for the next few years? I do not want to put the tv above the mantel. Also, would you keep the fireplace one shade darker the rest of the room? I'm a first time homeowner so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Vibrant Abstract painting studio
Hello, My name is Sanjay Punekar,
I would like to invite you to discover my work : you can take a look at my website where all my latest artworks are currently being presented.
http://www.artmajeur.com/sanjaypunekar2000

PS : Your opinion matters ! Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
price on request...and in your budget
Thank you for your attention
Sanjay Punekar
February 11, 2013 at 5:26PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's a shame that answers to your question are interrupted by a commercial plea. But onward to an answer...

I wish that the TV console to the right of the fireplace did not look so cluttered. I suggest you eventually acquire one that hides all those items and then I would mount a TV on the wall above that console.

I would like a spotlight over the fireplace to highlight a large piece of art. The art could be a square or a vertical piece with nice colors you'd like in the room As for the fireplace itself, the white fireplace surround needs to be toned down a little with a paint that is perhaps 2 shades lighter than the walls to left and right of FP, or a faux finish.

As for the area to the left of the fireplace, it's a wonderful location for another console or a chest. Above that you would place a mirror and a lamp.

I'd definitely add a rug to the area, but can't see enough of the room to suggest one. More pix please!
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Yellow Orange Red Fire by Olena Bacas Art Newport Console Currey & Co Beachhead Mirror Eva Colored Glass Table Lamp
February 11, 2013 at 5:46PM     
carolannr
I think the first thing I would do is paint that fireplace wall a lighter color. If it was just one shade darker than the walls it would be fine but its just too dark - looks like dark brown in picture. Perhaps a small bookcase to balance your TV and equipment on the other side would work until you can do some permanent builtins. Add artwork over the fireplace and you'll have a couple of years to get comfortable with the ideas you come up with.
February 11, 2013 at 5:49PM   
Manon Floreat
I like Carolyn's suggestions. If more seating is desired, an armchair to the left of the fireplace might round out the seating and provide a cozy spot for a good book. A small martini table, floor lamp and mirror might work well for you there.

ETA: This fireplace treatment is an idea that might give you some ideas. Particularly the mantle.

February 11, 2013 at 5:51PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Carolyn is really correct on this. The console table/chest to the left will be a great look. I would try to go with the chest idea if you can find one you like. It will balance the weight of the TV better than a table.
February 11, 2013 at 5:58PM   
PRO
Manon has a good idea for the fireplace. Certainly the surround on it now is too traditional for the space. Put a FP update in your plans.
February 11, 2013 at 6:00PM   
Manon Floreat
Oh - I just reread my post and see I wasn't very clear. What I meant to say is that if additional seating is needed a chair, martini table, floor lamp and art piece/wall decor could go to the left of the fireplace. The grouping, if done well, should balance what is to the right of the fireplace. Hope that clarifies my idea.
February 11, 2013 at 6:07PM   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all! kellypoe - you have some of the best around in your thread! Great advice, as always.

Is it possible for you to upload a couple of other views of the room & your current furniture?

Thanks!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 11, 2013 at 6:11PM   
lparides
Build ins
February 11, 2013 at 6:23PM   
kellypoe
Attached are other photos of the room, please excuse the overhead lighting. What do you think about a large mirror above the mantel? I am also considering a seagrass area rug. In time, I will paint the room a cooler neutral and the fiesta pink dinning room in the background. Thank you for all the wonderful comments they are greatly appreciated!
February 11, 2013 at 7:08PM     
kellypoe
Carolyn, the tv stand from Ikea is on its way out! Thanks for suggestions, it confirms what I was leaning towards
February 11, 2013 at 7:10PM   
PRO
No large mirror over mantel. A mirror should reflect something and at that height I doubt there's much to reflect. But please tell me if that's not the case. I definitely think it should be a good sized piece of art.
February 11, 2013 at 7:12PM   
PRO
Glad to have been of help getting the Ikea piece out the door, tho I do like a lot of their media pieces.
Someone will like getting it.
February 11, 2013 at 7:13PM   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all!

kellypoe - what a beautiful home!! Thanks for the extra pictures. A couple of comments/thoughts/questions:

--Love the sleepy pup!

--I agree w/Carolyn about art v. the mirror. A beautiful piece of art would work best.

--what style would you like to go for? The couch would work w/a nice contemporary/modern look.

--the space to the left of the couch - are you thinking of using that as a dining area or do you want to use the whole room as a living room? From the height of the chandelier, it looks like you have a dining space to the right of the kitchen.

That's probably enough for now. :)

Have a great night.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 13, 2013 at 5:32PM   
More Discussions
Window treatment for 20 ft ceilings
Crazy design dilemma due to a beam that can't be removed. Far...
Great Room
This is looking at another view in Great Room
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...
Can I use a prep sink in an island without a faucet?
I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel. ...
Toilet dilemma
I need to replace the toilet in the main bathroom in...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.