the bathoom is very small
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
What is your question?
February 14, 2013 at 12:44pm   
Ellen Nichtern
i just need some ideas for the rooms. what kind of floor to put down for the kitchen counter top. tiles for the bathroom. colores for the living room and dining room. My whole first floor was destroyed by Sandy i am not the decorating type but i need to pick out colors and ideas.
February 17, 2013 at 4:25pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
I'm so sorry you went through hurricane Sandy. I can't even imagine. The easiest way to get some help is to break down your questions and make them more specific. There are a number of different kinds of professionals and interested homeowners who make comments on different aspects of a project. If you need help in the kitchen that is a good place to start. Is the floor and the countertop the only part of the kitchen that you need help with? Are the cabinets we see on the wall going to stay? Are you working with a tight budget or do you have some "wiggle room" there? Do you have bottom cabinets that match them? Any other information you could give about the kitchen would be helpful.

(If you would like to look at some pictures of kitchens, click on "Browse Rooms" in the black bar above).
February 17, 2013 at 5:01pm   
Ellen Nichtern
this is my moms house and she is 83 we have already spent 13,000 for the sewer that broke,6000.00 for Mold and 5,000 for hot water heater and a boiler so we are on a tight budget. My mom wants to see if we can find cabinets that match the bottom. She would like a light color blue counter top and we have no idea what kind of floors.She would like to have a light color walls and tiles behind the stove.
the bathroom has nothing. Her bedroom furniture is white i think she wants a very light Mauve color.
The living room and dining room are usually painted the same color . i have also attached a picture of the dining room furniture.Its over 40 years old Thomasville and in great condtion.
February 17, 2013 at 5:24pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
If the wall cabinets are over a year old, it will be difficult to match the exact color. I would suggest painting them. You could paint them all the same color. If so, I would suggest a white. It will make the kitchen brighter. Light is a big issue for older ones and the white would reflect more light. Undercabinet lighting would be important too. You can pick them up pretty cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot that just plug into your outlet. Or you could paint the lowers blue to match the countertops and then paint the uppers white. Or paint the uppers white and the lowers blue and then use a white countertop. Both laminate and solid surface (Corian or Hi-Macs) have white countertops.

The upper cabinets are cathedral doors (the rounded part on the top) but often the lower cabinets do not have the cathedral top but are square. I would try to match the inner panel though. It looks raised in the center of the door instead of flat.

The cheapest countertops are called postformed. The bottom and the backsplash are all one piece and molded. They are made with a laminate overlay. Formica and Wilsonart are common laminates that are used. If you use a postformed countertop I would paint the wall above it the room color.

The next cheapest would be a custom made laminate countertop. The backsplash is a separate piece from the counter. If you were to use this type you could use a tile backsplash instead of a separate laminate backsplash and it could go from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets.

The next price range would be Corian or Hi-Macs. They are a solid surface material. It is soft to the touch. The colors look different on different monitors so it would be good to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and take a look at the colors on the rack.

When you get into natural stones, woods, and quartz they get pricey.

These are some laminates:
1) Formica - Formica Blue Fossil 5349
LAMINATE - Solid Colors | Formica Corporation
2) Wilsonart Grey Glace 4142 Grey Glace pattern / color of Wilsonart Laminate - 4142

Solid Surface
3) Blueberry Ice by Corian Blueberry Ice | CorianĀ®
February 17, 2013 at 8:31pm   
PRO
February 17, 2013 at 8:40pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Look into laminate flooring. it's easy to clean and looks nice with a painted kitchen. Some vinyl flooring now is getting pricier.
February 17, 2013 at 8:50pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Here is a nice backsplash tile.

February 17, 2013 at 9:40pm   
Ellen Nichtern
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS
February 18, 2013 at 3:13pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Your welcome. I will follow this post. If you don't get any more responses to this question concerning the dining room and livingroom I'll come back and try to help out. I was a professional kitchen designer not an interior designer, so hopefully one of our professional interior decorators will chime in here.
February 18, 2013 at 3:40pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Are either the livingroom or the dining room visible from the kitchen, or both?
February 22, 2013 at 8:11pm   
Ellen Nichtern
BOTH
February 23, 2013 at 3:42pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Do you have anything already for those rooms?
February 23, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Ellen Nichtern
i still have the dining room set which i attaching the picture of the furniture. its thomasville and its 40 years old the other picture is the window from the kitchen that goes into the dining room. i need a color for thos rooms
February 24, 2013 at 5:44pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Okay. It will be easier to pick out colors for these next two rooms when we know what colors you've chosen for the kitchen since they are both visible from the kitchen. It should be a color that picks up the same underlying tones of the kitchen color even if they are different colors. If you could post pictures of the things you've picked out for the kitchen and the name(s) of the paint color(s) you've chosen we could go from there.
February 25, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Ellen Nichtern
the color is going to be a very pale blue as soon as i find it
February 25, 2013 at 6:07pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Here are a few ideas: All Benjamin Moore:
sweet bluette #813
mystical blue #792
blue allue #771
crystal spring #764
February 25, 2013 at 6:19pm   
More Discussions
POLL: What is your yard like?
What is the current state of affairs for your own backyard?...
How soon will farm sinks go out of style, if ever?
I'm building a house and my designer loves those so...
How do you copy pics from Houzz
Does anyone know how to copy and paste photos directly...
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.