powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help a young teacher with a passion for decorating finish her living room!!!
akolb3190
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello!!! My fiance and I recently moved into a townhouse and we repainted and fixed up the house top to bottom. The flooring shown in pic was already here and unfortunately cannot be updated at this time :( I have purchased a few nice staple pieces for our living room but am having a lot of trouble finishing it. You will see our one long sofa in the picture and a media center. The circular table on the right of the couch is just temporary, and the coffee table was given to us. We need more seating desperately- and a rug to cozy up the space. I have considered getting the matching loveseat to the sofa and positioning it in an L shape in front of the windows and getting 2 patterned chairs for across from the long sofa. I think we need a bigger coffee table maybe in a different color. Our walls are also bare. Please help! I have been searching and searching for the perfect pieces for the room and am not having much luck! If this helps- my style is transitional. I like to incorporate color with neutrals.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hormonal
Your sofa is beautiful so you obviously have great taste. I would not position it where you have it. You can't watch t.v. Can you either move the tv or the sofa so they can face each other. Next get an inexpensive sisal rug and it will make your room feel so mich better. Some rug shops will cut to order but even a 8x10 would only cost about 200.00. Try home depot. Check them out for lamps, pillows and everything else.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:32PM
Manon Floreat
It looks like you have a great start! I really like your sofa, lamp and round table. Since you like a neutral base, perhaps this rug from Pottery Barn would appeal to you. It's a quiet color with an interesting pattern - a perfect foil for whatever accent colors you should choose.

I don't think I'd opt for a love seat, but two arm chairs and perhaps an upholstered bench or daybed instead.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:32PM
Jayme H.
A few pics for color ideas
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:42PM
ginalubove
A few throw pillows with different textures and colors would spice up the couch. A nice throw over the round table and paint the coffee table a nice accent color. Two comfy chairs facing the couch that needs to be moved away from the wall.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:49PM
pruner
I like your ideas on where you would like to go (rug, colours, changing the table, more seating). Teal blue (pic 1) and chocolate (side unit) would work well, however what are your and your fiance's favourite colours - you might like something with more punch.
What is your own preferred style - global, eclectic, traditional, modern, vintage accents? This will determine your next furniture choices. As you have an open canvas, select a colour each and go with these in rug, cushions, throw, artworks and possibly drapes - it will work with your lounge, paint and floor covering.
The scale of the coffee table is fine and the half-round side table could be used on the other side of the sofa. However I'd go for a more masculine line for the coffee table in similar colouring to the side unit as a balance the curves in the sofa, perhaps with some extra storage eg trunk or ottoman. Is there a nice view through the window? If so, chairs that face the lounge rather than the TV might be a better layout.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:49PM
Jayme H.
Sorry those pics r so small
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:52PM
Jayme H.
One more
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 5:53PM
judianna20
I don't know if you all will agree, but I am picketing the sofa/love seat combo. In so many of the design dilemmas posted, the question is: how do I arrange my living room? It is always that darned love seat that doesn't seem to fit anywhere. And, personally, I don't want to sit that close, anyway. I guess it is a stay out of my space thing and I worry about the spinach and artichoke dip between my teeth. My choice would be either two sofas or a sofa and two chairs.

No suggestions to offer as all the above are great. Every picture posted is an inspiration for you, 3190.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:05PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Judyg and others are so right to advise you to buy NOT a loveseat but two chairs instead. People prefer them and they're easier to arrange in different manners with your sofa.

I'd add the two chairs, keeping them fairly neutral. Your pillows can add some color. A rug or artwork will help determine your pillow colors. If I selected the rug below, I'd add a black pillow and a couple of pillows in the yellow or green that's in the rug.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Birch, Hand-Tufted Wool Rug Azriel Club Chair
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 6:29PM
akolb3190
Thank you so much to everyone for your input! I appreciate all ideas! Do we think I need to definitely choose between a love seat and 2 chairs? I love the idea of 2 comfy chairs facing the sofa. But this will still makes it difficult to watch tv. This is our hang out area. The sofa is on the longest wall, so I thought getting a love seat to create an L shape might help resolve this. Would this be too matchy matchy? Could I still not do 2 chairs?

Also, I found this rug. Could this work?? Or is the color too similar to couch? http://www.worldmarket.com/product/5x7-woolcotton-shag-rug-natural.do?page=3&from=fn

and it's $599 :(

You all are great! It's so great getting everyone's ideas and opinions. Any further advice is very appreciated :) :) :)
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:31PM
Lkristine
A chair possibility!
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 6:33PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Pull that sofa out into the room and place the 2 chairs where you mentioned putting the loveseat. Or place the sofa in the middle of the room facing the TV. Then put a chair on each side of the sofa.
Give each of the chairs a small table or if the chairs are together, then a table between them.

One of the reasons not to get a loveseat is that is is difficult to find a coffee table that serves both the sofa and the loveseat equally. Also, you'll probably only get a couple who got engaged 30 minutes ago to sit on your loveseat together, or a couple of kids. Most other people would prefer a chair to themselves.
3 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:40PM
judianna20
And Carolyn, don't forget the spinach thing.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 7:29PM
hormonal
Don't spend 600 on that rug. Go for sisal and it will serve you very well for cheaper. 8x10 will work. Use your pillows and asscessories for color. Homegoods is your source.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:20AM
akolb3190
I love that chair lkristine. Where is it from? Any suggestions on a coffee table with a more masculine line? And where to buy a.nice sisal rug and in what color? TY
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
Treby Spanedda Interiors
Leave the sisal rug in a natural color, and put a warm wood coffee table on it try crate and barrel, sometimes on sale you can get a good buy. a standing lamp on the other side of your sofa , and a great large picture , go to ikea, over the sofa. The addiional chairs are needed yes , but some accessories are needed, mabe a coffe table book or two a box some picture frames not too many pillows on sofa . There is a good begining but do the room in layers first the big pieces then add , window treatment some panels maybe from West Elm thier prices are good, all the mix of texture and color give the interest that you want in a room. Don't buy the accessories all in one day add slowly so to develop a look, not make it look like a fire sale.Good luck
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 1:04PM
pruner
The little side table above has simple but curved legs and is more masculine in colour. My suggestion would be along that theme but rectangular and there are others above. Alternatively look at a chest or trunk (any other family 'treasures' along this line?) - something quirky that emphasizes wood or wooden accents so will withstand any knocks and put your feet up over time so you feel relaxed. Use your console as a guide to colour.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 1:40PM
ginalubove
take your time because your taste will change over the course of the year, buy only pieces that are comfy and you love. If they don't match and you love them, it will work. My entire house is this way and after 27 years I still love them.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 1:55PM
soberg
Agree strongly with Carolyn and others that loveseats are an abomination. They are impractical to use and impossible to arrange for convenient conversation.

Sofa + 2 chairs is the way to go, I'm telling ya........
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 6:21AM
PRO
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 7:38AM