powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color scheme dilemma: what goes with mint green?
fisherthomas
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My bathroom is a great space, but I'm not in the position to completely gut it yet so have to make do with what I have now. Which are old mint colored tiles on the sink vanity, shower, and built in storage cabinet. Can anyone help suggest a color scheme that would go well? I don't mind painting the walls either. I'm just at a mind block with what to do with this space!! Help me please!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
More goes with mint green than you might think. Yellow, emerald, navy, orange for starters. To decide on a coordinating color, think about what accent colors you've used in the rooms adjacent to the bath, and perhaps incorporate a touch of those through art, a rug, or window fabric. In fact, finding a print with green in it is a great way to start. I'd replace the vertical blinds with a fabric Roman shade or curtain. Using textiles in navy & white or black & white would give it a crisper feel; you could pair with b&w photos of old movie stars for a retro glam. I probably wouldn't try to bring in a strong color on the wall. Maybe keep those a neutral off white, cream or gray. But start with your inspiration piece first, then the rest of it will fall into place.
February 11, 2013 at 5:53pm     
kristheot
I love your mint green tile! It looks clean, fresh, and cheerful. Some classic color combinations would been mint green with pink (think preppy, Lilly Pulitzer), or black and white and mint green. I agree with the above poster that finding a fabric or artwork with green and other colors would help you decide on your color direction.
February 11, 2013 at 6:08pm   
PRO
G.Elizabeth Designs
I agree with the color choices already mentioned, you could paint your cabinetry as well, with one of the above - love pink and change the hardware, if you go with black and white, your hardware could be black. I love the mint green tiles!
February 11, 2013 at 6:13pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Indigo and midnight blue.
February 11, 2013 at 6:14pm     
lparides
Grey looks nice with yellow or orange accents
February 11, 2013 at 6:15pm   
pruner
Mint green is perfect for a bathroom - as it is one of the watery colours and tones very well with glass and mirrors. There's another discussion http://www.houzz.com/discussions/340765#637127 on this topic for a powder room.
February 11, 2013 at 6:30pm   
PRO
Miller's Paint & Wallpaper
Laura Ashley fabrics have a lot of colors you could use. I suggest that you go to a fabric store and just look at the fabrics with that color in them. What other colors are with your color in the fabric? You would be able to see what colors work together and It helps my clients to get a visual of the different colors that would work.
February 11, 2013 at 6:31pm     
bathroom405
I had this problem with my parents' home. I found a gorgeous wallpaper that tied in their mint green tile. It is beautiful to this day! The paper has many different colors that soften the harshness of the 1 strong color.
February 11, 2013 at 6:53pm   
claudiann
I love coral and green. There are some gorgeous coral accessories at target right now.
February 11, 2013 at 7:47pm     
Manon Floreat
I really like the art deco feel of this bath. You could easily move in this direction with some black and chrome accents and crisp white walls. As mentioned earlier, a Roman shade to replace the vertical blinds would add a tailored freshness. You could consider one with black trim. I hope you consider keeping your vintage tiles. They really are quite special.

February 11, 2013 at 8:10pm     
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Thanks Manon for those pictures, which so concisely illustrate the feeling I was trying to convey. Love the vintage bath!
February 11, 2013 at 9:26pm     
ebethomas
I would do black and white accents with a hint of mint. Use designs with straight lines for a modern look or designs with b/w florals for more traditional feel.
February 11, 2013 at 9:41pm     
Darzy
Crisp white walls and fluffy white towels. white/green only.
February 11, 2013 at 10:07pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hello fisherthomas Marie here.
I'd look to other interior designs that have successfully incorporated the mint green into a scheme that you love. Then take those elements and incorporate that into your bathroom.

I myself would want to modernize the mint green by integrating natural wood tones and crisp chrome faucet, fixtures and towel racks etc. Don't forget a bit of class with either carrara marble, or soft warm grays and creams, that mix will look absolutely spectacular! Good Luck
February 11, 2013 at 10:07pm     
pruner
I'm with the Deco enthusiasts - black and white checkered flooring, chrome tapware and a trimmed roman blind as in Manon Floreat's pic plus Deco light fixture/s and hardware on the cabinets and entry door - celebrate the origins of your room. Can that corner unit next to the door be swung around 90 degrees in the process?
There's a great medicine cabinet and flooring in this bathroom
Alternatively pop in a Deco mirror - glitzy large round or fan detail - flea market pickup, and the movie star picture idea in silver frames suggested by PaintColourHelp on the blank walls.
February 11, 2013 at 10:40pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
I think I might try some plum with white and a touch of black in this adorable room that can lean toward many styles depending on the elements used and their color.
Use the plum and black as accent colors, towels and accessories.
Stone One Zebra Decorative pillows
February 11, 2013 at 11:11pm     
PRO
ASVInteriors
The moment I saw this, I thought art deco and indeed Manon Floreat has hit it right on target. Mint was very popular in art deco. Used with black and bevelled mirror (examples below), & crystal lights it can be very elegant and dramatic.
February 12, 2013 at 12:58am     
rinqreation
Depends on what you want; do you like something that pops or do you prefer something calm and soothing? Funky or conservative? Modern or classic?
February 12, 2013 at 2:34am   
rinqreation
Check Retrorenovation.com for inspiration (to see how it was and now can be).
February 12, 2013 at 2:34am   
fisherthomas
Wow!! Thanks to EVERYONE who gave such great ideas and inspiration! I need to provide an updated photo, but I have changed out the ugly & outdated vertical blinds to horizontal (plantation-esque) blinds. I've also added an towel rack along with black and white photos I took while in London. I do think that the black and white theme is probably the best to go with. I just haven't decided what accent color, besides gray, would be the best! Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
February 12, 2013 at 11:29am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Good Luck. Happy Decorating! Can't wait to see what you decide.
February 12, 2013 at 12:18pm   
Valvorie Dunn
At one time I had mint tiles with orchid accent tiles. Then there was a black & gold tiny trim tile in the tub area. House was built in 1931. Oh, & I should add that the fixtures were all orchid! Would love to see final pictures.
February 12, 2013 at 12:30pm     
pruner
Great idea to use your own photographs for art and a B&W main colour scheme. Check out Art Deco Miami and Napier New Zealand for accent colour ideas that stand alone and withstood trendy colour schemes.
February 12, 2013 at 12:55pm   
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Find the perfect fabric for a shower curtain. Even with your glass doors, some bold fabric with multi colors and a hint of mint green will draw your eye.
February 12, 2013 at 1:04pm     
fisherthomas
This is the shower curtain I put up. I'll be sure to take some pictures of the changes/updates I've done so far. I'm loving all the input! Thank you!!
February 12, 2013 at 2:01pm     
fisherthomas
@ rinqreation- I really, really like the picture of the vintage bathroom you posted. However, my tiles aren't as dark/vibrant as the ones in that bathroom. I wonder if painting the walls a light gray would help? Your thoughts?
February 12, 2013 at 2:27pm   
fisherthomas
Here are more pictures of what I've done so far, which isn't much at all. I've added the curtain, B&W pictures from London and a rack to hold the towels, etc. I really want to paint it this weekend! Should I do a light gray or make it a very white, WHITE? What color hardware should I go for?
February 14, 2013 at 3:13pm   
fisherthomas
More.
February 14, 2013 at 3:14pm     
parsleycarrots
I think the mint, white, and black combination is stunning. With the addition of a soft dove gray, you'll have a great classic space. I would paint the walls gray in an eggshell finish, then do the cabinets, door, and casings in a soft white with a satin finish.

Post more pictures as you can--it's fun to see the progress!
February 14, 2013 at 3:26pm     
Lizabeth
I would like to see more black accents and lighter creamier wall or change the shutters to black. I don't think the shower curtain has enough zing. Needs more contrast. The white shutters are making the wall color look dirty. You might be able to keep the shower curtain if you repaint the walls a brighter white.
February 14, 2013 at 3:32pm     
fisherthomas
Thanks for your suggestions! Should I also paint the wall that hides the toilet, or leave that as is?
February 14, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Lizabeth
Yes I would repaint the whole thing a cleaner white as in the photos shown by Manon. You are going to have to do the cabinet as well or make that black.
February 14, 2013 at 3:37pm   
PRO
Linda
Valvorie Dunn - I have a 1931 house with mint green tiles on the walls, and lavender tiles on the floor, also with the orchid fixtures. It sounds horrible, but it is actually quite striking.
February 14, 2013 at 3:44pm     
loroca
Everyone seems to be united on the black and white idea, and i agree. I was thinking.....what if you did alternating black and white stripes (about 6-7 inches wide) either vertically or horizontally? Include the toilet wall. No offense, but you need different frames for your pics. They need to be bigger, and maybe add 1-3 more pics. The wire basket thing looks tacky (sorry :( ) And maybe get some black hardware for the cabinets, maybe "crystal" pulls, or these green ones i've found
February 14, 2013 at 3:53pm     
libradesigneye
I'll be the one other "paint it a color" person - i think mint green is wonderful with pale turquoise - I would paint the walls a pretty and toned down soft watery blue (blue with a little green in it) - the gray and white will look wonderful with it, but now, your room will have style. There aren't very many options in a bathroom, so white walls just don't do it for me. Pale gray is the other choice you might like. Match the color in your curtain if you go there for contrast.
February 14, 2013 at 3:54pm     
loroca
And this art would work too
February 14, 2013 at 3:55pm     
parsleycarrots
Another thing, if your cabinet doors always seem to pop open, you can install some magnetic catches. They're super cheap and really easy to install; all you need is a screwdriver.
February 14, 2013 at 4:03pm     
loroca
I found a striped bathroom!

February 14, 2013 at 4:24pm   
Lizabeth
I am OK with the idea of gray walls and white accents. Your color scheme should pick either white or cream. You can stay with cream and black and chrome with green as the accent. Think of a mini cooper in those colors. Very retro cool. What you can't do is mix the white with the cream without making something look "off" or "dirty". right now you have a beige floor that is not going to look great with white walls. If you go black white chrome/gray and green than I would love to see you put a marmoleum floor in shades of gray. This is a nice retro look that does not offgas and looks right with this time period. You could also paint the bottom half of the walls at 2/3 ( never half) gray and the top white or vice versa.

I have to agree with comment that wire is thing is not cutting it. Try for a nice chrome train rack.
February 14, 2013 at 5:05pm   
pruner
Best to keep the B&W detailing as an accent to the mint (not the main event) - this could be added as framing on the cupboard doors, flooring or lighting for example. Then you can add whatever towels and 'pretties' that you like, whether that be the proffered teals, lavender or fuschia or another colour of your choice and not be 'stuck' with it. Here's some more ideas for adding this detail [houzz=Art Deco Bathroom 1] [houzz=Art Deco Bathroom 2][houzz=]
[houzz=Pretzel Factory]
[houzz=]
[houzz=American Standard Studio 0614.000]

Be inspired by the strong geometry, linear graduations (eg AVSInteriors mirrors), gentle curves, metal usage, glitz, glamour (old movie theatres, Roaring 20's, and 'Oscar') and clean pure design of Deco (eg Manon Floreat's tapware). For your other hardware, definitely chrome and look out those graduations, otherwise, long-line "D" handles about 1/2" wide with a curved front and flat back. Yep - I'm a Deco nut! The artwork above is leaning more to Art Nouveau rather than Deco, but agree it would work in your space and application. Suggest photos be the same size, hung in a horizontal line with silver framing with black mounts or matched mint mounts with understated black framing.
February 14, 2013 at 5:14pm   
kag123
I would like more of the black-edged ideas- the Manon Floreat-suggested Roman shades and a matching shower curtain--I would try a nice substantial weight white fabric and put the black on both myself with fabric glue or by sewing. The shower curtain is pretty, but a different mood I think. You could also cover a footstool/hassock to match the shades and shower curtain or use a really great strong graphic black and white pattern and put it in front of the half wall. If you go with a lot of white, maybe the walls should go light gray. The art nouveau (I can't spell this) poster a few comments back would be great, and big blow-ups of your own photos with strong black frames. Maybe move the wire rack to over the small counter and echo it with a similar black wire accent on the sink counter. The original tile and cabinets are great!
February 14, 2013 at 5:15pm   
PRO
G.Elizabeth Designs
More images of black and white and mint green, not bathrooms but still show the power of those three colors.
February 14, 2013 at 5:22pm     
Valvorie Dunn
I keep looking at your pics with the comments on what to do. Wondering if you can paint the area of wood just under the tile black then the trim on your pony wall, other trim & inside panel of your door. Any prints you can frame in black. Black & white towels. Make a shower curtain out of a cute black & white print trimed in mint green grosgrain ribbon. What do the rest of you think?
February 15, 2013 at 4:03pm   
Valvorie Dunn
Maybe even do black & green horizontal stripes around the room if you think it needs something else.
February 15, 2013 at 4:07pm