Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for dining room
abbytsmom
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Dining room use to be wallpapered in yellow florals. We just added wainscoting and painted walls this beautiful blue/gray. Should I go with the darker, bolder color fabric or the subdued fabric? The chairs will be recovered as well depending on fabric choice. In addition, rug or no rug?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
You did such a beautiful job! That's a hard decision. I like the lighter fabric as I think it will contrast nicely with your rich wood. However, it may not be the practical choice if you have young children . . .
February 11, 2013 at 7:11PM     
kwistina
I second the lighter fabric! And a rug would also look very nice in that space-rugs are hard to fit properly under a table though (as you might already know). They need to be wide enough for the chair to fit on the rug with a little space while someone is seated in the chair. Personally, I would go for the zig-zag rug in white and beige (very muted colors) for a little variation, for texture. Or you could go plain.
February 11, 2013 at 7:24PM     
PRO
Hue Color & Interiors
I third the lighter fabric! Beautiful choices..I also think you need a rug to pull it all together. When my kids were little I would put a hand towel underneath them so they wouldn't stain the chair fabric!
February 11, 2013 at 7:39PM     
calikym
4th for the lighter one and yes on the rug.
February 11, 2013 at 7:42PM   
mamachers
Not sure if I submitted my comment awhile ago. I liked the contrast of the darker fabric. A rug would be nice. Could you share with me the name color of blue paint and brand. Thanks. Your room is lovely.
February 11, 2013 at 7:48PM   
PRO
Colorful Concepts Interior Design
I also vote for the lighter fabric. And a definite yes on the rug too. Ideal rug size would be 24" larger all around your table to allow for chair movement, but you also want to leave atleast 6" of wood floor showing between the rug and your walls.
February 11, 2013 at 7:55PM   
abbytsmom
Thanks for all the comments - I will definitely be making a rug purchase and recovering the dining chairs. @mamachers - the paint color is Benjamin Moore Kentucky Haze.

In the meantime, here is the before pics of the yellow dining room at Christmas 2011 - big change!
February 12, 2013 at 11:59AM   
Valvorie Dunn
I love dark colors, but the lighter one talked to me in this instance. I would also do a rug. The room is turning out beautifully.
February 12, 2013 at 12:23PM   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
What a beautiful transformation, well done! Check out these really subdued rugs. I think any of these will tie in well with the second fabric choice and the prints on the wall. These lighter options will also add contrast against the table and floor. You will love this space for entertaining!
February 12, 2013 at 12:29PM   
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I also prefer the lighter version but I would use it for the chair covers instead. Natural linen to compliment the "beige" in the fabric or silk the same colour as the wall colour for the curtains. Whichever fabric you use for the curtains make sure they're very long to give the room some presence.
February 12, 2013 at 12:47PM   
rosecottagehome
What a beautiful job you did! I love the colour you painted the walls and it all looks very elegant with the white wainscoting. I like the lighter blue fabric and would also vote to go for the rug with the muted colour pattern to compliment the blue and yet contrast with the dark floor and white on the wainscoting. Did you do the wood working of this wainscoting yourself?
February 12, 2013 at 1:04PM