Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is the living room too junky?
meme2211
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love my living room but its looking possibly to cluttered with all these items. Please help me to possibly remove the clutter, lol!!! Thank u.

PS: what can I do with this fire place?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
Not junky, but cluttered.
Try removing the large floral arrangement., the white tree, the plastic on the lampshades, and at least one or more of the mirrors which can latter be repositioned.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:25PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Remember "Less is More"..let that be your new motto. Replace the valances with simple, solid neutral color (off white, vanilla, light beige, drapery on a simple rod that goes off the window where the drapery will stack. Take everything off the coffee table and place one large low bowl in its place. Only one of the mirror pieces on the wall, the larger square one, you could flank it with maybe 4 simple etchings, simple frame, stack 2 on each side. Remove everything from the mantle and hang one very large piece of art or a large round mirror. On the mantle, maybe a decorative box, a plate on a stand and a small green plant. And be sure to do everything Aja told you to do.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 8:38PM
Keitha
Definitely , the plastic needs to go but a beautiful room!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:38PM
Aja Mazin
WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE PILLOWS AND RUGS LATER.
[whoops]
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:43PM
janeannrob
RE: Fireplace
Ideas (not in any particular order) #1 paint the bricks white or off white and then scrape with paint scrapper to distress (paint wall(s) a good theme color such as pale grey, beige or neutral green; #2 reface fireplace brick with tile (large or small or combination); reface fireplace with slabs of marble, quartz or granite; reface with a modern material like the new stones for outdoor home facades; #3 reface brick with drywall, leaving a slimmer brick border around the opening & paint the drywall a color; #4 reface the brick with wood panels or trim in an interesting and traditional pattern to 'enlarge' the appearance of the mantle....
OK, those ideas are enough to help you come up with your own solution to this fun dilemma!!!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:46PM
bojaby
I would remove everything on the coffee table and replace with something lower and simpler, perhaps several books and a glass piece. Regarding the mirrors, I cannot tell if the mirrors on either side are the same size or not. If they are remove the large square mirror and hang the two closer together. If they are not the same size remove them and use only the large square one. Move the white tree to the corner to the right of the window. I agree that the plastic should be removed from the lampshades. I would consider painting the fireplace and white wood using a cream or similar, put on a much more substantial dark wood mantel, hang a large dark wood framed mirror above the mantel, remove the screen and fill the firebox with lots of candles of various heights.

You have done a very nice job of decorating.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
PREPAINT WALL PREP
I would like feedback from pro painters and very experienced...
Kitchen lighting advice
I am trying to order a chandelier to go over my island,...
Advice on furniture and colour choices
I am trying to decorate my house that is currently...
Idea Request for Master Bdrm Sitting Rm Furniture Layout
Hello, I'd like to request some suggestions for furniture...
Exterior design options
Currently remodeling house..Ideas, options, experiments......
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.