Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
kitchen lighting is KILLING me
steveepee
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I wont lie, my whole kitchen is killing me but I dont have the cash for a dream kitchen so I'm hunting for small ideas that will make a lasting impression. Lighting is my first project, then painting (again).

I very much appreciate any and all advice.

I'm in a townhouse whose kitchen, dining, and living room are all on one long floor. The kitchen is approximately 14' wide towards the window, chokes back to 9' in the foreground and is 10' deep from the foreground to the window.

My thoughts have been revolving around recessed lights with task lighting over the sink and stove. Keeping it simple. The cans would be in a square formation; 2-2, maybe 3-2. Double task lights over the sink & a single over the stove. Pendants over the island are ruled out as I would like to draw as little attention away from the hanging chandelier over the dining table (I included an image).

It all sounds great in theory but I have changed my mind 1000x and drawn too many sketches, ending with nothing but confusion.

Anyone out there have a more stable design sense of mind than I?

Thank you.

Steve
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
LB Interiors
You squashed my first thought for pendant lighting. Here is another idea for ambiance above the island with recessed spots at the perimeter.
Modern and Colour make a statement!
Maybe you just need that special dining light in that room?
Villa Nuevo
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 12:06AM
Jolene
I like you kitchen. I think two cans over sink and 4 thought the rest would be great
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 8:27AM
adivra
Under cabinet lights will make a huge impact.
3 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:30AM
minerva25
Window coverings, something like a tailored roman shade, with a pattern and accent colour would help brighten the kitchen as well.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:38AM
mfwolfe
This may not be your dream kitchen, but it is a very nice kitchen and you have totally pegged the problem. And you have come up with the solution. Next step is to ask an electrician for a bid. At that time ask him for suggestions about placement and specs on the cans and the undercounter lights. Forge ahead! You are on the right track.

I do like the idea of some kind of window covering on those stark looking windows. Like the pendant over the table. good idea not to do pendants as they would take away from it.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:44AM
lefty47
HI -- You need some lighting design which you can get from any quality lighting store . I don't think having hanging pendent lights over the island will take away or clash with the dining room fixture . But if you don't want anything else hanging down then there are lots of other options . That's where the help from a lighting designer is needed . It's a nice kitchen , just needs a few touches as in window covering and some d├ęcor accents.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:53AM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Go with the cans--recessed and on dimmers. Like yours, my cabinets also ended without any trim across the top of them--so I had my carpenter fashion some crown molding and then the painter created a stain to match the existing cabinets--what a transformation! If your cabinets are truly white (I'm colorblind a bit) then that should be easy to match. Under-cabinet lighting is wonderful if you can get it. At the time the crown molding was installed, carpenter also installed a base trim that would shield the under cabinet lighting from view--especially for the people seated at the island, whose line of sight was now directly aimed at the backsplash. (I referred to this as a 'light rail', but the guy at the lumber yard had no idea what I was talking about, so I created my own out of two trim pieces attached together at the time of install).

Do you ever open those windows? If not, a bottom-up orientation in a honeycomb shade would be cool. If you do open them, something top down is better and more practical. A striped roman shade would be cool--something masculine that will work with the white and the black simultaneously--maybe with a shock of royal blue. Can't tell if the painting has begun or if you've not started yet--a light gray would be awesome against that white, and any color you add will pop because of it.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:55AM
Jolene
They have under cabinet lights at costco. They are a two pack and don't require wires.
0 Likes   March 26, 2014 at 7:08AM
PRO
Anne Sacco Interiors, LLC
I disagree that the pendant lights will take away from the light over the table. I would do pendants, but just make sure they compliment the exisiting light. A recessed can over the sink is a good idea. And definitely add some type of window treatment over the window, even if it's just a valance for color and texture. Also, add a deco item on top of each cupboard on each side of the window. It won't take too much to make this a great kitchen.
1 Like   March 26, 2014 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
door color
Our house is pale yellow. I was thinking of going with...
Kitchen
What size bead board should be used in a smaller kitchen....
Kitchen Backsplash
Kitchen Remodel- Dark red Mahagony Cabinets, light...
Guest Bedroom Help!!
I'm trying to get the guest room bedding figured out...
How and what color would you paint the niche?
Most likely I am going to be painting this room with...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.