Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help With My Kitchen Back Splash!
Frank Trimble
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our home is a remodeled 1925 Craftsman / Bungalow. The cabinets are the near original St Charles metal cabinets (Cloud White) and counter tops are a Black / Grey Soapstone. As you can see we desperately need a back splash. Any Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
If you want to keep the monochromatic look you have going (beautiful!) see if you like the gray glass subway tiles: [houzz=Ocean Gray 4" x 12" Large Glass Subway Tile]
[houzz=Smoke Gray Glass Subway Tile 3" x 6"]
[houzz=Contemporary Kitchen]
February 12, 2013 at 5:45AM     
househaunted
How about something like this to make the white pop:

February 12, 2013 at 5:47AM     
Frank Trimble
Both great ideas. Since I'm a Realtor, I can't help but think of resale so don't want to get to carried away with color. I do really like the blue but it may be too much color. Also, we are installing a stainless back splash and self behind the gas range. Loving the glass subway tiles too. This site is awesome. We've been putting this off for 2 years. LOL!
February 12, 2013 at 6:02AM     
0825sam
What about a classic marble subway tile? I think that would look beautiful in your kitchen. I almost didn't suggest it or was going to suggest it along with putting stainless behind your stove, but now that you're saying you're already doing that, that would be my vote.
February 12, 2013 at 6:22AM     
apple_pie_order
Beautiful kitchen. White or off-white subway tiles. The marble suggested by sam0705 would be stunning.

If you want more bright blue accents, add some blue towels that you replace every year when they fade. Or buy a wood tray and line it with bright blue tiles.
February 12, 2013 at 6:33AM     
anyalabunski
How about combination tile class and marble. They come in variety of colours and combinations. Also I wouldn't t go w subway tile I don't find it attractive enough but stainless steel would look great in round or square tiles. See pictures. I also like bling so if u can Sind a pearlescent tile in a large scale it it reelect lite and will give u subtle colour as well. Have fun
February 12, 2013 at 6:57AM     
Frank Trimble
Loving the Marble Tile idea too. Do they make a porcelain marble looking tile?
February 12, 2013 at 11:05AM   
anyalabunski
Hello Frank. Yes there is are porcelain tiles that look like marble. Look at the houzz link below

February 13, 2013 at 10:29AM   
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I like the subway tile in white. Classic, simple and will not go out of style.
February 13, 2013 at 10:37AM     
kkenning
what about this from the tile shop? It's carrara marble and really pretty. I have it in my kitchen.
February 13, 2013 at 12:48PM   
Frank Trimble
I like how this would bring the white and grey together. But might want larger tiles.
February 13, 2013 at 4:54PM     
calidesign
Your kitchen is clean and timeless. I would go with the large glass subway tile, a plain white subway tile, or the marble subway tile. None of those choices will look dated and will help you maintain your resale value down the road. Your blue accents in the window are beautiful, but they are changeable, and I think you could regret a bold choice on a back splash.
February 13, 2013 at 5:09PM   
0825sam
A favorite marble backsplash from houzz

February 13, 2013 at 5:20PM     
PRO
REDinterior
I like the idea of using a calacatta or carrera to tie the white cabinets to the gray/black soapstone. Calacatta is white with grey veins and carrera is typically a pale gray with grey veins. Both can have a hint of rust in them. The herringbone pattern sam0705 has above would add some great texture!
Rebecca - ASID, CID, CAPS
February 13, 2013 at 5:31PM   
Frank Trimble
Y'all have been awesome! Narrowed it down to glass subways with stainless and the carrera. HUGE thank you!
February 14, 2013 at 3:37AM     
charleee
Congrats on making your decision, probably the hardest part! A word of caution, be careful when applying the mastic for the glass tiles, you don't want to see notched trowel lines behind the tile. Saw this mistake made on a Sarah Richardson design show, they had to tear down the entire shower because of the trowel marks.
February 14, 2013 at 3:39AM   
tallest
Everyone recommends glass subway tiles. Is this some hot trend?

Why don't you use a whole white piece of glass as backsplash? Super easy to keep clean.
February 14, 2013 at 4:33AM     
PRO
Stoneshop
My vote would be for the marble subway tiles. It would look beautiful with the classic design of your kitchen. Your soapstone is stunning!
February 14, 2013 at 6:41AM   
0825sam
I'd love to see the end result!
February 14, 2013 at 6:47AM     
Christine Eadie
We did cream subway tiles love it
February 14, 2013 at 7:09AM   
julie77777
Christine Eadie - Can you possibly post a pic of the finished backsplash? Would love to see it!
July 22, 2013 at 9:52AM   
PRO
Gerrity Stone
It's good to go with simple colors when back splashing a large area. Neutral blue/green would look great with your color scheme!
July 22, 2013 at 9:57AM   
PRO
CMM Tile
Our Curved Calacatta Herringbone Mosaic has a very unique look. The 3-D appearance really make a backsplash "pop". For more info visit our site - www.calacattamarble.com
July 25, 2013 at 1:24PM