Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with choosing how to refinish the front of my house
nross3531
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I think I have chosen a dark charcoal smoke vinyl split shake siding with the clay color trim. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
If budget allows I would re-clad the front portion with the same charcoal siding as well.
February 12, 2013 at 8:00am     
nross3531
I left that out, sorry. I am only residing the front portion. The clay color will remain due to budget. So the front will be changed to charcoal with clay trim. What do you think? Thanks!
February 12, 2013 at 8:28am   
aniluap2
I like the colors but I think the front potion will look like it was stuck on. I think you should keep the siding color an trim the same on the entire house. Maybe with a jolt of color in the front door like a steel blue.
February 12, 2013 at 8:32am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Good grief match the rest of the house! Why would you want to get the same piece together look you have now? Just leave it the way it is and take the money and pay off something.
February 12, 2013 at 8:37am     
nross3531
Thanks for you thoughts.
February 12, 2013 at 8:47am   
nross3531
Wood peckers have determined we need to reside the front, ;) currently that's cedar planks.
February 12, 2013 at 8:48am   
Jacqueline Grimes
The front doesn't really look like the front to me, from this angle. But have you considered a horticultural design change? That is, use flowers or artistic bushes or plants to outline the perimeter of your home. Speak with a professional landscaper or arborist for ideas.
February 12, 2013 at 3:21pm     
nross3531
Landscaping will be completed after the siding. The dark portion needs insulated and is badly in need of a face lift. We don't want to put a ton of $ into this house because we may move in the next few years. I would greatly appreciate siding ideas. Thanks.
February 13, 2013 at 4:22am   
aniluap2
I agree with everyone above you need to match the siding on the front to what is on the back to make the house look like both parts belong together. It will dramatically improve the appearance and make the house look twice as large. Paint your front door a contrasting color to emphasizes it so that people are aware that it is the entrance. Even if you just continue your low growing hedge accross the front,on the other side of the steps,and get 2 large pots, placed on either side of your bottom step filled with geraniums it will make a huge impact in brightening up the facade.
February 13, 2013 at 7:12am     
PRO
Straight A Builders, Inc.
You will need to change your overhangs to white to match the rest of the house also. If budget is restrictive, you could paint it a couple coats. The clay window frames should blend well enough with siding that matches the house, once you remove the cedar trim boards and get clay siding on that section. You would improve the house a lot to add overhangs/eaves on the main section too, but that is a bigger project, maybe for a future time.
February 13, 2013 at 7:32am