Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master bedroom layout help
Mav Helvad
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We moved from a large master to a small one. We want to keep all our old furniture but we cannot make it work in the space.

We tried a traditional layout placing the bed on the left wall when you enter the space. Problem was the large dresser was to the right of the window and didn't fit so it stuck out from the wall. The men's dresser was on the wall between the bath and closet. The space here felt very cramped because everything was in the same area.

We tried the current layout and all our furniture fits in the room now but it feels cold.

The walls need to be painted and maybe window drapery? Also wanted to add a bench between the bath and closet? Maybe one under the window too to place the comforter on at night?

I know there is a lot going on in this small space but really wanted to keep all the furniture if possible.

Thoughts suggestions please.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Personally I like the bed on the left wall as you had it. Without knowing the sizes of the furniture or the bedroom, I could only suggest moving them around (on a scaled floor plan) in order to make everything fit. The mock up wall color looks nice imo, just need to accessorize the walls for a more finished look.

February 12, 2013 at 7:57am   
Mavra Helvadjian
Thank you but in the original layout we must get rid of the large dresser and we don't want to or reno window to move it to left to fit the dresser on right or maybe remove the window frame and squeeze in the dresser? Will find old photo to show the other layout
February 12, 2013 at 8:09am   
Mav Helvad
Hello #Dytexture,
I've attached a sketch of the previous layout. I couldn't find a photo.
The main concern with the old layout out is that the large dresser doesn't fit in any location. It was placed here and covered the window and window frame. It looked awful. This was the main reason we moved everything around instead of getting rid of my large dresser. Hope this diagram gives you a better impression of the room.
February 12, 2013 at 10:37am   
ja44
Can you put the bed in front of the window? Maybe use the dresser as an end table on one side? Or the bed at an angle in corner to left of the window, as you are facing it? If it is warmth you are after, what about soft things, like an area rug and some pretty drapes, and pictures on the wall?
February 12, 2013 at 10:49am     
groveraxle
@timclark152, I just checked your profile page and it seems you have solutions for everyone. But I wonder why someone who only wants to rearrange the bedroom she just moved into would need a realtor. If you really have solutions, please offer them here so we can all benefit. Thanks.
February 12, 2013 at 11:25am     
Mav Helvad
Thank you everyone still would love to hear more options to make the space work in the photos provided, if it's even possible :) @Ja44 Thank you for the suggestion but I don't like the idea of placing my headboard on the window, I prefer it against a wall. Also the bed is much too big to angle in this very small room. I believe the room dimensions are 11.5 W & 14.5 L
February 12, 2013 at 1:13pm   
cindyreece
I would hang the TV on the wall between the bath and closet and move your bed to the wall across from it...get rid of a dresser if you can...put a small fabric chair in the corner going into bath to soften the room as well as a light colored throw rug.
February 12, 2013 at 1:24pm