Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help needed in color placement.
Donatile Quartararo Ruscito
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The new house is the blue one...the colors desired are the rosey ones...

"These are the colors that will be used to repaint outside in the Spring. Any ideas for color placement are welcome."
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
Can you upload much larger photos that show each side of the house? It is spectacular. What color is the roof?
February 12, 2013 at 8:16AM   
aniluap2
Wow! Now that's what I call a "painted lady"
February 12, 2013 at 8:29AM   
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Yes, the pic is too small to see all the interesting details. In general though, I typically put like colors on like structures, from your inspiration home to your actual home. So the main body would be the pale pink/lavender, the roof-edge fascia would be the plum, the columns and window casings the grayish white, etc. It also appears they have some funky striping going on with 2 tones of lighter and darker raspberry. When we can see more detail, we might be able to advise on how to replicate that portion. For a project this complex, it might be worth it to hire a pro to Photoshop your house with the new prospective colors. Or, you can paint up large samples on one section of the home (which I always recommend as a final check anyway). Realize that you are going for the spirit of the photo example, and not a literal translation - your architectural features will differ and thus call for some improvisation here and there. Love these colors!
February 12, 2013 at 8:35AM     
Aja Mazin
Fantastic!!

I t appears that you are also making architectural changes.

I love your use of colours and wonder if a tad more yellow could be used?

The subtle shading of the raspberry stripe is delightfully whimsical.
February 12, 2013 at 8:45AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love your idea picture.
February 12, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Aja Mazin
You will find larger pics on the user's profile page.
February 12, 2013 at 8:59AM     
Jayme H.
LOVE...somewhat jealous as well!!
February 12, 2013 at 9:16AM     
dianahb
Where they included the yellow, on the rosy house, the design there looks like the outline of sun rays-- so it works really well in that spot. But if you use that yellow in your color scheme on your house, I'd try to fit the yellow in a couple of more places. I also think the yellow is a nice relief from all that fuchsia. My favorite colors on the "rosy" house are really the yellow and what looks like a pale blue/green on the columns and windows and up on that upper triangle. I really love that. I find all that fuchsia a bit nauseous.

As others have said, though, the house you want to paint is difficult to see at such a small size; can you re-send?
February 12, 2013 at 9:27AM   
February 12, 2013 at 9:47AM     
The color of the roof is green. I think I have back and side views...I will up;oad if I can
February 12, 2013 at 9:49AM   
dianahb
Thanks; that helps.

The first thing I'd do is probably eliminate the exterior shutters on your Queen Anne. The "pink" house doesn't have them, and I don't think exterior shutters were typically used back when these were built. You certainly don't have to keep things so accurately historic, but I do think the house offers a different (more appealing, to my eye) look without the added shutters. Once they're removed, you might get a different feel for how your colors should go on-- and I think you'd notice all the beautiful little details on that exterior more, too, without the shutters cluttering things.
February 12, 2013 at 9:57AM   
I thought putting the yellow on the smaller tiangular parts of the house which would add extra color and the larger triangle the lilac.My husband thinks maybe all three should be the yellow.Where the forest green is ,possibly the raspberry and around the windows and columns the minty green. The shutters and front door the raspberry and main portions of the house the lilac. The smaller triangle on the bottom window has a floral design on it which I would actually paint on a white background and the rest of the colors combined.No ...maybe a lilac background...such a dilemma!
February 12, 2013 at 10:12AM   
It seems the back and side views are on my husbands computer...problem...but I never thought about removing the shutters...looking at it now it does seem a bit cluttered with them on. It might be a wise thing to remove them. Thanks for the idea.
February 12, 2013 at 10:21AM   
dianahb
We lived in a Queen Anne for many years-- I remember this dilemma well. ;)

I did see that little floral design at the bottom window there. If you're not using white anywhere else (?)-- I personally wouldn't introduce white there, either. I like the idea of using the rest of the colors combined on that design, though.

What I would do is make several b&w hard copies of your house-- just on some white paper-- get some colored pencils, and try out these different schemes. You could also do that on the computer, but sometimes it helps to see a real piece of paper in front of you. These houses have so much detail, that to see it in front of you, and then color it in at will-- really helps.

I do love the yellow and minty green, especially.
February 12, 2013 at 10:42AM     
Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and help. They have made my job a bit easier.
February 12, 2013 at 11:21AM