Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior Colors
m5askqu5
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Bought this house last summer. Planning on doing some exterior work this spring.

•Best option for replacing the pink. Paint? Vinyl siding? Cedar wood siding? What would look best with limestone? $5K budget, doing work ourselves.
•Window trim/detail color?
•Door color? We hope to replace the glass on each side of the door, but keeping same door.
•Shutters?
•Roof color? This is a future project, but wanting it all to come together well in the end.
•I also wonder about taking up the outdoor carpet on the porch and staining the cement? Does that work with older cement?

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I think I would start with baby steps and then repost. I would match the paint exactly to the LImestone but a few shades deeper. I would beef up trim arount all windows and doors if possible and paint white. Add shutteres to all windows and paint front door to match shutters. Can you take a close up picture of front door and steps?

If you do this your will have an amazing transformation and this shoulb be very easy on your budget. I will post two pictures before and after of this.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 11:10AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Hello and congratulations on the purchase of your home! Couple of things: The least expensive fix is paint. A nice green or dark taupe would look great. I would paint the columns white. I would definately remove the outdoor carpeting. Although this would be a big expense, I would change the color of the roof tiles. And last but not least, you will need some landscaping.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:10AM
m5askqu5
Closer look at the front porch. The doors are a dark wood. Trying to figure out the best "curb appeal" transformation within a budget!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:31AM
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 12:02PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
You have idea exactly. If you select a color that is from the Limestone, just as in all your pictures above. Their is not a huge shift from dark to light, just enough ot subtly set the details off. All of these make these home look more elegant, higher end, and you will note the higher end homes are almost always the most subtle with color. I like your idea pictures, by the way, in regards to your home.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 12:09PM
lefty47
HI -- For your budget now the best thing is just paint . Maybe a nice creamy light tan -- Benjamin Moore "Ranchwood " might work. In the furture you could have a charcoal shingle roof . Add more trim around windows and then shutters in a dark brown/black or charcoal . For the front porch , that should be leveled out right across with some decking and then have three same size square posts. You won't be able to stain the concrete if the out door carpet has been glued down and it would be too much work to sand it down to be able to stain , so best to just build a deck floor over . Fixing the sizes of the posts would look better anyway. New double doors or a single with side lights , then have the front door its own special color , usually a jewel tone is best like a emerald green or a red or blue , something you like . Because you have a limited budget so start with the painting and what is most important for you after that.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Wood Floor Choice!!!! Down to 3 Options...HELP
I have narrowed it down to 3 flooring options...feel...
mark617
White Macaubas? Can you please share your pics?
The photos I've seen online appear to be white/ grey....
Brenna Pearce
Niche...HELP!
This is one of those horrid niche/alcove areas above...
Kelly Bookout-Lynn
Please help with my dark living room full of instruments!
I'm trying to come up with the best design and furniture...
inmaryland
Approved bedroom design idea
Here's a 1BR approved project we completed recently...
VANGUARD development
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.