powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help finding 20-22 inch seat height chairs for a high dining table!
Jessamy Calamari
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought a beautiful industrial dining table with reclaimed wood on top and pipes with casters as the base, but the table height is 32". Our current chairs are far too short, but counter height chairs are too tall. We've been measuring every chair we see and seems they're all 18-19". We've thought about putting casters on the bottom of chairs, but as pricey as they are to start, we'd like to find the right chairs without having to alter them. Another issue we run into is that many websites don't even list the seat height. Help please!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lefty47
HI -- Your table is 3 inches too high so you should see about fixing that instead of trying to find odd height chairs , that just doesn't make sence. Beautiful table , maybe who ever made the table can fix it to the right height of 29 inches high.
February 12, 2013 at 12:33PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Remove the wheels from the table.
February 12, 2013 at 12:40PM     
PRO
M B Wilson Interior Design
You could also add cushions to a standard height chair.
February 12, 2013 at 12:45PM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Jess. We're guessing the casters lock and being able to move the table any time you want is half the point, which is why you'd prefer to have chairs that "fit" rather than modifying the table. We have a selection of about 4,000 dining chairs (http://www.atgstores.com/type_1473.html?) and on the link page you'll notice height categories of "Short," "Counter," "Bar" and "Adjustable." Once you click on one of these (likely Counter, Bar and/or Adjustable) and start looking at individual chairs you will notice that we include seat height in the description. We hope this helps you in your search and wish you luck. Love the table.
February 12, 2013 at 12:54PM     
lefty47
HI -- Refering to AGT --- that's all well and fine that "yes" there are chairs for the height of that table BUT that does not make the chairs comfortable to use . I am short and my feet would not be reaching the floor . It is more important to have a table at the proper height than it is to have chairs higher to fit the table .
February 12, 2013 at 1:09PM   
Jessamy Calamari
We love the casters? We think they give it more character, but yes, we've considered that option. Checking out the website next. Thx all!
February 13, 2013 at 3:47PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
When a table is designed, the height of the casters should have been considered. If the legs are attached in the corners, maybe they could be removed and shortened from the top. I agree above, standard chair seat height is not about the table, but about a person sitting comfortably on a chair.
February 13, 2013 at 3:51PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Right, so the table was made with plumbing pipe, steel threaded. If it was from out of town...take it to your plumber. He, or you can disassemble it (had to be assembled, right?) and cut the requisite amount off the long portion of the leg. The plumber re-threads the pipe and you reassemble. Done deal. They cut and thread pipe at plumbing supply stores, even HD and Lowe's will cut and thread your pipe. Or send the thing back and tell them it is too high for anyone but your 16 year old nephew...he's 6'6".
February 13, 2013 at 4:10PM     
romausa60
I'm looking for a secretarial desk chair, seat height 22inch, help please!!
February 26, 2013 at 7:01AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Many desk chairs are adjustable with a hydraulic lift system. This allows for personal comfort.
February 26, 2013 at 7:07AM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
@Roma: We just discussed selecting office/desk chairs in our blog yesterday (http://ourblog.atgstores.com/how-to-choose-an-office-chair/), and if you'd like to check it out you'll find several links that may help you. That said, Interiors International is correct that there are seats with hydraulic or pneumatic lift systems; however, you'll want to be sure that the seat will rise to your desired height before purchase. We hope this helps! (PS: Apologies to Jess for diverting the discussion away from the table.)
February 26, 2013 at 7:29AM   
suellenb
I have bad knees and simply cannot get out of a low chair. Sure wish someone would tell me how to find nice living room chairs that are tall enough to enable me to get out of them without struggling.
March 9, 2014 at 5:04PM   
PRO
suellenb, a seat height of 18-19" is pretty standard of living room chairs, though you may be able to find something a bit higher. Check with your local furniture store, one that sells good quality furniture. Be sure the seat cushions are very firm and that the arms are thin and firm enough to grasp to help get out of the chair. If the chair is too deep then that will also make it more difficult to get out of. Very often it is the depth and softness of a chair that make it difficult for people to get out of.
March 10, 2014 at 1:58AM     
Karin Nylund
I'm also having problems with low seat height, trying to help my mom find new chairs for her LR that aren't low (she has bad hips, knees). Any other options besides checking out furniture stores? Hard to believe, with our country's aging population, that this isn't something furniture designers r addressing
March 23, 2014 at 12:10PM     
PRO
I agree with you Karin! They have addressed the seat height issue with toilets, bringing the comfort height up to closer to 18", which is chair seat height. Ballard Designs has some chairs with a 20" seat height to the crown, so that might be helpful for your Mom.
March 23, 2014 at 12:35PM   
alkimmie
The 4 inch to high problem is a 4 inch to low problem in my opinion. Buy large heavy old well used casters to bring your table to counter height. Then buy counter height chairs or awesome counter stools that tuck under when you need the extra space. The table is awesome and has a powerful eye catching vibe and I think larger industrial casters will look and feel right. :) great luck!
March 26, 2014 at 6:41PM