Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Shutters...yes or no
avance7
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have finally completed the interior of our new home (lots of DIY). Since spring is coming soon, I have been looking at the exterior trying to decide what kind of landscaping and if to add shutters. I have been told by a couple of people that shutters make a home look smaller...is that true? This house is only 2200 sq ft and I don't want to make it look any smaller. What is your opinion? If you think we should add shutters, what type & color? This home is located on 44 acres of land out in the country.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
You could add shutters to the lower front windows only. Consider the width of the shutters so that they stay in proportion to the house.
http://www.scottscreativehome.com/
February 12, 2013 at 1:24PM     
architectrunnerguy
Get some cardboard, cut it to the size of the shutters (1/2 window width) spray paint it the color of the shutters you want and tape them up. And I agree, not on the dormers (which, while a very well detailed house otherwise, like the chimneys, the dormers come up a tad short).
February 12, 2013 at 3:45PM     
PRO
Judy McLean Custom Interiors
I think shutters would finish it off. A little plain as is.
February 12, 2013 at 4:01PM   
Sheralyn Miller
I would add shutters to the downstairs windows. Maybe even just a single shutter for each window, with it being the full width of the window. You could also add non-functional hinges and shutter dogs to make it look more authentic. Personally, I would add shutters to the side windows as well (if they would fit).
February 12, 2013 at 4:08PM   
cynthiainms
Yes!!!
February 12, 2013 at 4:28PM   
Keitha
I like your house without shutters mainly because you have the vertical lines of posts and rails going on and it could get "busy". I think it will really help the starkness when you get landscaping. The only other thing I hesitate to mention is that your light fixtures next to the front door are too small and too high. Beautiful home!
February 12, 2013 at 4:35PM   
janicedonato
Yes. Not the dormers though.
February 12, 2013 at 4:37PM   
Jean Tuck
Yes proportunately to front shutters would be nice. Maybeevenfor sake of continuity I would do all windows.
February 12, 2013 at 4:46PM   
decoenthusiaste
Landscaping will make a big difference. Do that first and then decide on the shutters. I agree with Scott's on the chimneys and dormers and with Keitha on the porch lights. Sometimes low chimneys cause backdraft. If you're not experiencing that, they may be ok. Perhaps you're planning a cap to keep out rain and birds, and that might do the trick visually and practically.
February 12, 2013 at 4:52PM     
Sharyne Hampton_Augsberger
Yes, but not.dormers.
February 12, 2013 at 5:01PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I think shutters will add a bit of southern charm to your home. I do not however think you should exclude the dormers. Figure the width of the window divide in 1/2 and that is the size each shutter should be. I think they would be beautiful in bright yellow or blue.
February 12, 2013 at 5:04PM   
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
This may help visualize with shutter (my vote)!
February 12, 2013 at 5:13PM   
designideas2013
How about roller shutters? They protect from heat/cold and intruders. They are very sturdy. We use them in Europe and they are available in the US as well.
February 12, 2013 at 5:20PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.