powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to vent a range in front of a window? Going from a 44 inch cut out to a 30 inch range? Help!
Amanda Wilmoth
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I've entered the planning stages of the inevitable kitchen remodel. So... aside from the obviously ugly poor decision of the last owners to apply plaid wallpaper to the cabinet facing, the solid wood original cabinets are still in play, properly function, and are wonderfully solid. Those stay and in their original layout. They will be refinished and get new counter tops. EVERYthing else changes. I cook a lot. And, many of my choices will revolve around the range. Currently, I have a consignment 36" restaurant grade Garland range that I've been cooking on for about a year. Too big, too impractical, too non functioning. And heats up the kitchen like an inferno. Looks cool. That's all. It's gotta go. Going in with new appliances and need a clever way to vent the range. Note: it sits in front of a window, the ceilings are 11 ft high, and the original cabinetry spans the top of the window opening. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onthefence
This seems to come up periodically and is generally viewed as not a great idea - for a variety of reasons. Safety is #1 and keeping the window even remotely clean is #2.

Here is one thread on the issue. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/341975/New-Kitchen-and-saving-window

Is there ANY other place in the kitchen a range can be placed?
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 2:15PM
onthefence
That being said, I have seen a few photos of this being done. Here's an example.

1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 2:20PM
lefty47
HI -- A lot of pro chefs now are big on induction cooking . For a vent you could use a pop up down draft vent then you won't need to have a big range hood hanging down . And they are the perfect thing for a stove in front of a window
3 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 2:24PM
Amanda Wilmoth
As you can see, there are two windows to contend with. The house is a 1910 Craftsman style kit home. The range has always been in front of the window and the sink is in front of the other. Opposite the pictured walls, are the pantry and the kitchen entrance(pictured below). Moving the range really isn't an option when you factor in the only other applicable place is where the fridge has to go. Sad, but true. Luckily, there are 14 inches from the countertop level to the window sill. I will be reworking the cabinetry to fill the space from 44 inches to 30 inches. Probably adding two spice pull out cabinets on the sides of the range. Then, going in with a 30 inch slide in unit. Since the counter top will be new it will appear to be a seamless transition. It will be a composite type and made to fit. Was wondering if it would be possible to install a downdraft type vent behind the range. Similar to those used on a kitchen island. Or maybe a downdraft vent to the side of the range? Or possibly do a fan recessed above the stove with no hood, though I'd question its ability to pull from that distance. I don't plan on ever using a window covering of any kind and I'm not really concerned about it catching on fire. I, honestly, like the natural light that the window provides for cooking and the view. What's your thoughts on downdrafts?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 2:53PM
hparks74
Jen Air creates a down draft stove/oven drop in combo. Sears also sells Jen Air.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 5:31PM
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
Ugh.... I'm speechless.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 6:18AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler
Downdrafts are horrible from both form and function. They attempt to go against the laws of physics by sucking naturally rising heat and steam downwards. To do that reqires a lot more CFM than if you use an overhead to capture it and duct it otside. That much air movement so close to the flame can pull it away from the pan and give uneven heating results.

Just use a deeper than standard counter on that run and then an island hood. And a sheet of tempered glass as an internal ''storm window'' over the existing widow. Shattered glass in your soup isn't a healthy recipe. Plus it will make it easier to clean.
3 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 6:33AM
Dorene McManus
Totally agree with Sophie. I've lived in a lot of homes (did house flipping every 2 years) and have experimented with all kinds of venting. Was never fully satisfied with downdraft. The best one I had rose up out of the back of the unit and did vent the back burners well enough, it was not sufficient to pull smoke from the front burners. For your situation this type of unit would also capture some of the grease from landing on the windows. It's gotta land somewhere, and get cleaned eventually! Oh well, :-)

For commercial type gas burners, code requirements dictate high vent cfm's, which may affect some of your design choices.

Sophie's idea to bump the range out a bit will give you a little extra space to keep grease off the window. and pull the vent as in onthefence's vent hood idea. That might be your best bet if you can't move the range to another wall or create an island.

I had an OMG moment when I saw that plaid!
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
How Do I Update My Bedroom?
Hey! So, where I live, it is going into summer, and...
Need help finishing living room wall
I am hoping to get some help in finishing my living...
Kitchen help
Just closed and have 1 month to complete multiple projects.(sand...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Help needed for portico
This is our portico. I recently painted the front door...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.