Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Desperate for advice&help with our living room
Monika
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We've just purchased our first ever flat in the new built block of flats and are looking for advice&help with designing our living room. We'd like to create a modern/contemporary apartment with the twist. So far we've chosen 2 sofas ( 2 different colors and designs) and want to build all the interior around them. One is a modern grey corner unit and another one is red leather chesterfield. We want to paint the walls but have no idea what color would go with our sofas. Another dilemma is a rug we both like the look of the shaggy rug but cannot decide on color. Please help!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
CONGRATULATIONS!

Will the sofas be in the same room?

I adore the Chesterfield, and I am a great fan of leather!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 2:20PM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hello, I've read your post and have a few questions. First do you already own both of these sofas? Next, do you have any images or a floor plan of the space/s?
My first impression is.........."what were you thinking?" I like both but it will take a fair amount of rule-breaking to make a single space work with both. The 80's saw a lot of people with loft sized apartments throwing all sorts of things at each other and making it work but that requires lots of "breathing" room. In close quarters these two sofas may not hit it off....................!
* Think charcoal, white, light gray for walls and floors. Graphic patterned rugs. (Hang up the shag thing unless you still use words like "groovy" and "far out".) Introduce some texture with hairy pillows (shearling), animal prints, and techno lighting.
Keep me posted,
PEACE, Jeffrey Brooks
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 2:27PM
sigmund1111
I just had my house remodeled and used a interior decorator. I have red cabinets, black island and cherry wood cabinets. I have a crystal red chandelier in dinning room. My walls are painted a coffee with cream in it (can't remember the name)I also have incorporated gold curtains in living and dinning room. I have brown leather couches and have red accent pieces. Rugs in living dinning room are taupe, family room with brown couches I have a red and cream (kind of an animal print) rug. Hope u can visualize this. Good luck
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 2:43PM
Aja Mazin
Will the red chesterfield and the gray contemporary sectional be in the same room - that being the living room with the taupe carpet.?

Place the red chesterfield facing the sectional .

Choose a rug with red and gray to tie together the pieces and the drapery.

I assume you are keeping the brown couches in the family room. Is that correct?
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 5:52PM
Aja Mazin
other thoughts that would tie in the gold in the drapes.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 6:07PM
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Love the Chesterfield! I would actually paint the walls a crisp white cause the couch is already a great piece. Also, by painting an accent wall opposite the couch in the same red this would tie in the room. I would go with a moroccon-type carpet or an animal print in brown and white. If you go with a shaggy rug keep it neutral....the shag will bring some texture to the room. You can then add an animal print chair. I would also keep the curtains neutral but voluminous to match the huskiness of the couch. Make sure to put a great, big piece of art above the couch. Not sure if the grommets of the couch are silver or brass but bring that element in with lamps and tables (don't go overboard).
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:32PM
PRO
Anatomy Of Style
Why don't you hire a designer to come over and help you? It is the best way to get great results that stand the test of time. There are too many important factors about your place that we cannot see from this image. Hiring a designer is a savvy investment because it saves you time and from making expensive mistakes:)
3 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:38PM
Monika
Thank you for all the comments&suggestions i really appreciate!. I know that the best way would be to hire an inertia designer but unfortunately we can not afford it :-( I guess the safest option would be to go for a corner unit but it seams that everyone has one of these in their living room. We'd like to have them both in one one room. Sort of 'U' shape with coffee table and a rug in the middle.

Our walls are painted white but we'd like to give a little bit of warmth to the space as it seams so cold. We don't want it to look like a club. We want it to be cosy.

Jeffrey - we haven't both them yet but they are our 2 favorite among hundreds that we've seen so far. I don't think i could let go of the chesterfield but i can definitely reconsider color options of both of them. My only worry is that we'll have to compromise on one of them as they will not go with the rest of the furniture that we've already purchased. (Coffee table and tv unit) It's so difficult to choose + our budget is rather tight.

Lydia - we were actually considering considering an accent wall but thought that it may be to much.

Azja Mazin - thank you so much for the rugs ideas i love them!

I'll upload more photos and a floor plan later on today as i can understand it's quite difficult to picture it right now. Once again thanks for your comments and ideas!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:07AM
Aja Mazin
Monika Chojnowska,

" inertia designer " ~ That cracks me up!
Can I use it?

Please keep us posted!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:33AM
PRO
Amplio
I love the mix, I will think and get back.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:57AM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
If you like a little funk with your junk, start with the Chesterfield sofa in Red. This is a very strong starting point and they just get better as they age. Don't cut up the room/s with accent walls but choose a color that radiates the feel you're after. As the shade of color gets deeper, the space will feel more intimate (sexy) so use that as a guide when selecting paint.
If, on the other hand you want a room that is more adult (serious) then start with the sectional. Remember too that chairs add movement, space, and flexibility when you have people in.
Happy Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:00AM
carolins
Amplio 'stole' my comment :-D
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:05AM
carolins
Okay, so I've been thinking...

If you buy both sofa's in the colours you've chosen, you can go two ways. Either you choose furniture that goes more towards the Chesterfield style (without going all English classic), like in the enclosed photo (I love that). Or you go more modern and pretend the Chesterfield is a well-loved family heirloom that you just can't part with (I love that too :-)), but your actual style is modern. In which case you go for your shaggy rug in a grey colour and add minimalist straight lined furniture.

I've made you a pinterest board to give you some ideas. No problem if you don't like anything on there, I've enjoyed making it. As for a wall colour, why don't you go with a soft grey?
http://pinterest.com/brinkpins/ideas-for-monika/
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:34AM
Monika
Thanks carolins! I'm not so sure about the colour of the corner unit any more. Perhaps we should go with natural, beige or light brow instead??
Here are the photos of the coffee table& tv unit that we actualy both and the floor plan of the living room and kitchen. Let me know what you think.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:55PM
Monika
carolins - help i can not access it:-(
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:59PM
PRO
Amplio
I would go more eclectic, all this unit match too much. Get the tv set, but for coffee table I would find something different. My opinion when you buy a hole set of example bedroom furniture it can look dated very quickly.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:11PM
PRO
Brooke Enos Interiors
I would warn against buying two sofas of such competing styles. Both are cool but not in the same space. If you go with the chesterfield, buy a nice pair of chairs that are in a similar genre. Best of luck!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:57PM
carolins
You're probably able to access it now, sorry.... http://pinterest.com/brinkpins/ideas-for-monika/

I like the coffee table and tv unit. Maybe not both though. I'm with Amplio on this. Although the coffee table is beautiful, but I'm not sure how it will look with the Chesterfield. Hmmm....
Can't see the floor plan! :-D
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:05AM
PRO
Amplio
Yes a floor plan, would be great:)
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:33AM
PRO
Amplio
Here is some mood boards.
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:58AM
carolins
@amplio: nice work! :-)
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:28AM
PRO
Blinds Max
I like the idea of using red pillows on the grey couch to pull the two together. You could also bring in red leather foot rests to use as coffee tables. See Photos.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:49AM
Monika
Thanks for briliant advices from all of you guys. I wasn't expecting such a great feedback.
@ampolio great Ideas.
Finally I managed to dig out the floor plan of our living room. Do you think there is enough room to for our 2 sofas?
Once again thanks for all your help!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:23PM
soberg
Chesterfield and contemporary are two completely different styles. The ornateness and detailing of the Chesterfield would make the modern stuff look bland, and the modern sleekness would make the Chesterfield look overly busy and fussy. I'll never say never but it is hard to see how these two ideas, as exemplified by your two wildly divergent sofas, could co-exist successfully.

How about keeping the glassy red leather idea, but finding it in a sleek modern sofa with no tufting and squarer lines? Or keep the red Chesterfield, lose the gray sofa, and find updated transitional chairs in mid-gray modern tweed?
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:29PM
soberg
If you MUST use both sofas, I would let the Chesterfield star and use the gray as just a platform for some bold, ethnic kilim type pillows or throws. The gray sofa desperately needs to be lavished with color, texture and guts to hold its head up in a room with the jaw-dropping red sofa.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:30PM
soberg
The photo above from ABC Dragoo helps illustrate my point. For a Chesterfield to live with a plain modern sofa, the Chesterfield is given a modern neutral off-white color to tone it down, and the modern sofa gets red-hot orange to increase its impact. That's how a professional tackles the very tough task of making the lion lie down with the lamb.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:33PM
Sharon Moses
What things do I need to Bring to a room when you have white Chesterfield
0 Likes   September 19, 2014 at 5:24PM
adismom
Hi Monika, Went through your ideabooks to get an idea of your taste. I know where these grey and ref sofas come from :-) inspired by grey and red a lot ? I would suggest keep the Chesterfield - IT IS GORGEOUS-Take a clue from your kitchen ideabook. See how well the red goes with the wooden browns. Since it is the living room we are talking about in my opinion use of steel and glass would look classy with red leather. An area rug , beige walls with white trimmings and accent wall in the colour of chocolate . What say ? Im not a pro , just giving you my vision.
0 Likes   September 20, 2014 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Small kitchen redesign
My tiny kitchen is in need of a redesign. Any suggestions...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Help with a reading nook
Want to make a reading nook out of the blue patterned...
shower curtains ceiling to floor?
when and why did we go to shower curtains from ceiling...
need advice for paint color for walls in kitchen and living room
Kitchen has Cherry color cabinets, black granite countertops,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.