Professionals
Users
Need help with redecorating my hallway
Krzysiek August
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with redecorating my hallway
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
You could start by hanging your lamp higher. Post your taste, style and wishes on here. Wait until it's light outside and make some new pictures for us to see?
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 2:29AM
Diamondflame
There's too much brown - large unbroken expanses of brown. Break them up with a lighter colored welcome mat in neutral sisal or repaint the bannisters & stairs in black(?) and white to complement the dark curtains. I do not know if the dark curtains come in 3 or 4 panels but they chop up your view of the exterior.

You could definitely do with better lighting. The position of the pendant lamp casts shadows across your stairs making for an unlit and potentially unsafe pathway. A pair of sconces on the walls at the foot of the stairs would be a welcome addition. A tall mirror in the same space works wonderfully in the day and visually expands the entrance.

Perhaps you could post more pictures in daylight? You'll be surprised what these basic exercises can do to the space before you even begin decorating. :)
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 3:30AM
charleee
Your curtains are dominating the space and it looks like they're blocking the rad? I would shorten the panels over the rad and eliminate the ones by the door. If privacy is an issue you can get a window film for the glass doors to add decoration and privacy. This lamp will work well with your curtains: [houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:17AM
handymam
Change out the light entirely. It seems out of place with the paneling. You could paint the paneling of course, but you could just paint the railing if you don't want to paint the paneling. You may want to consider new railings sometime as this one is just pretty much utilitarian, and not very aesthetically pleasing. Different drapes would bring a totally different look and add color, or don't even use drapes, get blinds or shades you can pull up during the day to let in more light.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:49AM
handymam
olldbobbi, I thought about the window fim idea too. I think that might still let the light in, but give privacy.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:58AM
charleee
handymam, (love your name!) I have that window film on my kitchen window because the "view" is my neighbor's trash cans!!!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:00AM
handymam
Aww, thanks olldbobbi! We have that cling kind, no sticky stuff on the side light windows of the front door of a craftsman style home we own. Has been up for about 8 years and never falls off. Lets the light in, but at night, no one can see in. Sidelight curtains just seemed so dated and out of place.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 5:23AM