Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with transforming backyard!
courtneyd17
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We live on a corner lot in a cul-de-sac. I'd like to make our backyard a little more private and more of a fun place to hang out in the summer. Plus, I'm sick of having so much grass to mow. I love to garden as well. We really aren't interested in putting up a full fence. Would like some sort of patio off the deck and a fire pit but not sure how to accomplish that as our property slopes down from the house. We are do-it-yourselfers for the most part. For reference, we live in Ohio - zone 6a. Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jacqueline Grimes
I'm no expert, but I love designing/creating and admire those who do it for a living. Perhaps if you put in a circle driveway, it could take up some of that grass land. I'm assuming there's no pool or jacuzzi; adding one or the other might free up some more grass. Also, evergreens shaped like slender Christmas trees could create privacy, if properly aligned near the white tree. But if not, the traditional brown or white picket style privacy fence will enhance the property. Afterall, homes well maintained (e.g., cut grass, swept sidewalks, inspected pipes, etc.) will keep the neighborhood value up, but homes kept interestingly modern will go down in history -- just a thought!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:05PM
Judy M
I would plant a row of evergreens along the sidewalk but in line with the birch tree for the privacy to your side and rear yard from the street side..

This type of evergreen stays narrow and tall, does not get wide, which would start to make your yard small.

You can go to the photo section, scroll down to "outdoor" and in the search box type "patio" for ideas.

1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Expand the back deck and step it down so that there are two levels. It might be a good idea to move the shed further from the house. Add a couple of strategically placed bolders (really big rocks!) where the property slopes. Plants and flowers nested around the bolders will add interest and privacy. Be sure to incorporate evergreens, lower bushes or grasses here too. This will add to the natural flavor of the land. If you can, use some up-lights near the bases of your evergreens.At night this becomes a very effective privacy screen. Stagger the locations of your planting beds so that some are closer to the sidewalk and some are closer to your house. Check your sight lines for best placement.
. The great thing about this kind of landscaping is that it insulates you from view without becoming a solid wall, it will buffer noise, and it shields your house in severe weather.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:27PM
PRO
Legends Direct
It looks like you definitely have a lot of space to work with, which is great! You have a beautiful deck that can really be utilized! With spring and summer around the corner, new tiki torches and fire pit would really help create the ambiance you are looking for! Who doesn't love a cool summer evening around a fire pit? There are also some really easy way to create privacy without building an entire fence. Creating simple dividers between your yard and the rest of the world can be cheap and easy, using large plants, scrubs and paneling, like shown below.
You are not far from creating from creating a small garden and hangout place for your family and friends. For more ideas, check out www.coolbackyards.com! Good luck with your yard, we at Legends Lifestyle think it will turn out amazing!
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:12AM