Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help picking granite countertop.
Mandy
February 12, 2013 in Polls
White shaker cabinets and white subway tile backsplash. I'm in love with absolute black but everyone I ask says to go with the Giallo Ornamental.
Absolute Black Granite
Giallo Ornamental Granite
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
BLACK :)))
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:20PM
mdasay
If you love seeing fingerprints and crumbs, even dust, go with black. I'm not saying you aren't an impeccable housekeeper, but the black shows EVERYTHING! I like the lighter granite as it has movement and won't show every little thing. I have Kashmir White and while it is lighter in color, when the light reflects off it, I can still see the fingerprints and streaks from where I wipe it down. Almost making me crazy!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:23PM
PRO
Prairie Point Interiors Inc
I have used both colours over the years I like the Giallo myself over the Black. If you want the sharp two tone look that is great but the shiny black shows marks from glasses and cooking alot more, its like a glass cooktop you are forever cleaning it. Have you seen the black in an acid etched finish I find it softens the look. Check with your granite supplier, also the same acid etch on black pearl is nice as well.
Hope it helps you
Mike
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:24PM
PRO
Stuart Nordin Design
Go with what you love! You won't regret it! You can also do a honed finished instead of polished and that will help with fingerprints. There is a kitchen in my portfolio with white subway tile and honed black granite if you want to check it out to see what the combo looks like :) I'll follow this with the link. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:27PM
Judy M
I love the black. However, will you have it polished? will you have undercabinet lighting? Undercabinet lighting wil reflect in the polished black surface. water marks will dry and be noticable.

Crumbs etc, will be much more visible ( which could be a good or bad thing).

In the end, I think either is a great choice.

For my kitchen, I went with something closer to the Giallo. In a bathroom, I went with the black on a white vanity. Like having multiple children, I love them equally.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:27PM
PRO
Stuart Nordin Design
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:28PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Go with Giallo and play around with black for accents. Giallo is tying your cabinets and floor .
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:40PM
PRO
Studio Homes
I personally prefer the Giallo. I have used the Kashmir white with off white shaker cabinets before and I thought it looked beautiful. I know how stunning the black would be..... but if it was me I wouldnt be able to stand any dirt or marks....I would probably get obsessed with polishing it as I have before over other things....and it is no fun! I love it when things just look beautiful all the time. The black would act like a mirror.....imagine cooking and stuff on a mirror how terrible it would look. If you were entertaining and didnt wipe after every move it would look grimey in front of your guests. I hate getting obsessive compulsive over cleaning things.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:58PM
shakerjaebs
I see you Shakersables! Told you I was obsessed! As I said before, you really can't go wrong with either one.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 6:06PM
pkboccardi
I HATE my black countertops. You will spend all your free time cleaning them!!!!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 6:55PM
PRO
JWinteriors
I believe you use this site to draw on the opinions of the experienced. Some choices have to be based on function over beauty. Your 2 options here are like girlfriends...one is going to get along with everyone and the other is going to be high maintenance that will oft times drive you crazy!
4 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:06PM
feeny
If you go with honed black granite or another dark matte countertop surface (we used dark soapstone) you won't have any problem with the surface showing everything. But black polished granite is very reflective and many feel it takes more work to keep looking its best. Between just these two choices in polished granite, I voted for the Giallo. But I think there are many options if you want dark counters.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:13PM
laurav507
If you go black. Go honed. Polished black is like a mirror like the other poster said. We have honed on our island and I love it. Although I also did marble on the perimeter which many people disagree with! Go with what you love!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:22PM
ruthbrog
Why are you only sticking to those two choices the black is not practical and the ornamental is outdated. What about a clean look like white or speckled white or bring some gray in?
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:41PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
With either choice you should hone the countertops. Contrary to the opinion of stone fabricators who have never lived with honed, it holds up just as well as polished and looks so much better . Shiny Granite looks outdated and cheap. Honed feels suede like and everyone wants to touch it-and it doesn't show water rings, and everything else.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:44PM
PRO
Fiorano Tile Showrooms
Just a note on BLACK HONED granite, THAT has it's own issues of showing SMUDGES from oil in food and even oil from your hands. I am not chiming in as to which color to use, but if you want to use BLACK, I do would NOT use HONED surface. (Fiorano Tile Fabricators)
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:55PM
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
One consideration, Absolute Black and Black Galaxy do not require sealing, ever. In fact , if you try to seal them the sealer will just sit on top and not absorb.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:03PM
Dawn
I have black galaxy and love it. It shines easily. In my experience, not harder to keep clean than any other countertop I've had. Both choices you presented look beautiful. Get what you like best.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:12PM
Natalie
Giallo...
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:15PM
Mandy
Just wanted to follow up and let you all know we ended up with Colonial White Granite which we absolutely love! Here's a photo:
4 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 5:41AM
feeny
Looks perfect!
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 5:44AM
pearlmelba
@Mandy....Love how your kitchen looks you have my kitchen doors !!!
We chose black granite I love how it looks
But on reading about the up keep
Time will tell
Tiling is our next stage.But due to so much choice
Going with paint for now
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 6:40AM
PRO
Fiorano Tile Showrooms
Nice job
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 6:49AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
I like the absolute black granite. Something like our Nero Black could be a better fit if you're afraid of crumbs and such standing out. You can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

Looks like those who've voted for black are losing at the moment. I'd say, go with your gut!
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 10:45AM
PRO
Stoneshop
It looks wonderful, Mandy! Very fresh and bright. Enjoy it!
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 1:11PM