Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Beachside home needs entryway and front curb appeal
ilovellucy916
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help - house built in the late 1950s. Stone accents in front are all she's got! Would love ideas to bring some curb appeal to the entryway and the garage area. Tore off an old planter that was made in matching stone and kept the old stone. Thought about giving it a little bit of a craftsman look...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Keitha
Landscaping would help the curb appeal! I like it so you might not need much more.
February 12, 2013 at 5:43pm     
ilovellucy916
Thank you, Keitha. The "column" at the front door has to come down and the covered area over the front door also - it is leaking and was constructed on a wrong slope that has a valley that holds water when it rains. I could always have it rebuilt as it is and just put a squared or tapered column there. The interior is quite different - beautiful shiny terrazzo floors and plantation shutters, so I was trying to give the outside a little more of a hint of what was inside. I've posted some pictures of the living/dining room and kitchen below to give an idea. I think I'm "overthinking" it - I like a classic look, so I don't want to overdo it. Your comment has made me step back and rethink the pergola over the garage plan. :-)
February 13, 2013 at 4:59am   
PRO
The Design Mill
Create a large porch to the entry area extending past the garage with a gable roof line, this will hi-lite the entry and also soften the garage. Stone piers to the new entry and landscaping will look fabulous
February 13, 2013 at 5:15am     
handymam
I think the inside of your home is beautiful! I agree that in your case, landscaping would go a long way. Condider a "better" walkway, one that is moved further away from the house. A bed between the house and the walk and then another one along the front of the house. Something that swings out into the yard even, since your yard appears to be large. Bigger beds, less to mow! A wider paver or concrete area by the front door in conection with a walkway might draw more attention to your entrance too.

Hard to see the light over the garage, but maybe something that makes more a statement? And some large house numbers. Don't see any that you can see from the road or at least from where this shot was taken.

Is that brick between the windows?
February 13, 2013 at 5:15am     
ilovellucy916
Handyman, it is some sort of real stone - picture attached. I like the wider walkway (pavers) and landscaping idea. Since this was taken, I have added a large Quoizel brushed nickel fixture but need some larger house numbers as you indicated. Thank you!
February 13, 2013 at 5:28am   
ilovellucy916
Design Mill, I am intrigued by your idea to extend porch beyond garage but can't quite picture it. Would it be built out from the existing roofline over the garage area or is it another gable being added?
February 13, 2013 at 5:58am   
guyute69
I disagree with taking out the pillar. I would replace it with a more decorative and add another, possibly rounded pillars and then have a mini pergola coming of the house creating a narrow entry. Plant vines all over that pergola and that instantly classes up the front. Then landscape the heck out of that area so it blends a bit with your new entryway. Need some planting under the windows in front of the house.
February 13, 2013 at 12:40pm   
hparks74

This would look nice perhaps? Your pitch isn't in the direction of craftsman, however adding this arbor might allow you to have some of the touches. The planter could have many items planted to add addition color and texture. Nice house by the way. Please show what you compote.
February 13, 2013 at 12:57pm     
hparks74
Oops complete
February 13, 2013 at 12:57pm   
PRO
The Color People
Removing the column like stated above is the best first step. Removing that postage stamp of stone is next replacing it with siding similar to the rest. Paint alone can then bring the house to life- depend on what makes you happy. Of course you do all kind of other more expensive things . I not sure they would add enough to your property value to make it worth your while.
February 13, 2013 at 2:27pm   
PRO
The Design Mill
Yes, add a new gable over the entry, protruding a little further than the garage. Feature stone piers either side and raised planter beds to line the left side of the new porch. Would look very inviting. Please feel free to email your photo through to me (via website) and I will happily sketch on the photo for you to give you a clearer idea. Julie
February 13, 2013 at 2:58pm     
Keitha
Lucy, I like the idea that was mentioned about extending your porch out a few feet past the garage with a planter box on the left and in keeping with the style of the house I think a square column would be the best choice. I'm not a fan of busy landscaping and while its true that more landscaping means less mowing it also means more weeding! You have a beautiful home and you don't need much to give it that curb appeal you are looking for!
February 13, 2013 at 7:52pm     
mdamron61
Get rid of the column. It is partially hiding the front door. Why is there stone between the windows? That is very odd! Get rid of the stone and install some cottage style shutters. Install a new front door with side lights. Something with a wow factor that gets your attention. Needs more plants/flowers.
February 13, 2013 at 8:06pm   
PRO
Absolute Design Studios
There are some great ideas here. I would add that since the garage is so present from the curb, and you are looking for a craftsman style look, if you were to paint the garage door in a woodgrain, as well as the surrounding trim
February 13, 2013 at 8:07pm   
Keitha
Maybe you can install the decorative brackets on the garage door to give it more interest.
February 14, 2013 at 12:30am     
Jennifer Smith
Quite wide yard to improve. I love that one.

Hmmm, a landscaping will help so much with this. You can add some patio place too, so that you will have a place to stay with your family anytime of the day. I love doing it at night. We only have a patio heater which I have bought from Buytikitorches.com a year ago. In cold nights, we use it. I'm sure you will like it too.

I'll add idea later. :)
February 14, 2013 at 12:48am   
ilovellucy916
Julie at Design Mill - I have sent you the photos via Facebook messaging. Please let me know if you don't receive them and my message. Thank you.
February 14, 2013 at 6:02am   
PRO
The Design Mill
Hi Lucy, Sorry not received, please try julie@thedesignmill.com.au :)
February 14, 2013 at 2:53pm