Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My Airlock
NoniMN
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am undecided on what to do with my Airlock on the front of my 1932 house. It is not heated so in the winter the door to the living room is always shut. The walls are lath and plaster but a pervious ower did something and it is coming off in sheets. I was told by several drywall guys that the extreme temp changes will do that. I was going to do a batten board in there and now am thinking of maybe doing one wall in antique mirror tile. Any thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
NoniMN
this is the room it opens into
February 12, 2013 at 7:42pm   
PRO
Linda
I have a 1931 house with an unheated back hallway. I've never had a problem with paint coming off the walls. However, I do know about the problem you're describing - fastest way to strip paint off old woodwork is leave it out in an unheated space and the top levels of paint just fall off

I suspect it has to do with latex over oil issues since latex expands and contracts differently than oils and possibly some moisture problems also. Just curious...is the old underlying layer a gloss paint? In my back hallway, I painted latex directly on unpainted plaster walls and that is one difference I could see between the two spaces.
February 12, 2013 at 8:01pm   
lefty47
HI -- I would not do the mirror tiles in there . I think you should cover the walls with some of that wall paper that will hold the plaster on and that is paintable . I think it is called annaglipta (sp?) . Or line the room in a wood cabin siding and then white wash it . Then you could hang a mirror and have a row of coat hooks and maybe a shelf under the mirror . and a washable area rug or matt
February 12, 2013 at 8:09pm   
NoniMN
Oh it is not just the paint coming up it is the plaster that the old owner put over the original plaster ( why I am not sure. I have am going to put a false wall over it. MDF panel. I will apply the paint or wall paper or antique mirrors on that which will be achored into the wall. I was going to do a batten board with it but really like the look of the antique mirror wall on one side.
February 12, 2013 at 8:41pm   
More Discussions
Stair runner - thoughts?
Hi - I would love some feedback on this runner. The...
Need help with vanity placement in small bathroom!
I'm looking at purchasing this vanity from Pottery...
How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
i need help with 2 things stairwell and front of house
This is a very narrow stairwell and am trying to make...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.