Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Creative Solutions for Built-in Linen Closet
Christa Stephens
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My new house was built in the mid-70's and, as such, has a ton of character. Unfortunately, not all of it is perfect and this linen closet is one of the serious issues that has just got me stumped.

Problems:
Outdated cabinet style/hardware
Doors do not latch properly and are always hanging open
One door swings into one of the hallway light fixtures if you open it too far

Of course there are obvious solutions to all of these issues, but I'd like a solution that is more elegant and less obvious. I want to take the opportunity to turn this into a wow factor in this boring and purely functional hallway.

So, what do you think?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lefty47
HI -- That was made more like 50's style construction . I would just take it all out and have something new built in todays style with flush self closing doors with no hinges showing and make the doors with touch latches so there are no need of handles or knobs. No casing trim and then have it all painted the same color as the walls. You will need a cabinet maker for this .
February 12, 2013 at 8:23pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Consider replacing the cabinet front with barn door style hardware and door.
February 12, 2013 at 9:09pm   
Christa Stephens
Thanks for the input. I think I really want to make a visual statement here, though, since the hallway is so boring as - is. Perhaps the closet isn't the best way of doing this, but I feel like it a good opportunity to do something really cool.
February 12, 2013 at 9:11pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
The door style can change the character depending on the look you want...
February 12, 2013 at 9:12pm   
Christa Stephens
Terri, thanks for that idea! I have definitely though of that and may not a barn door as inspiration, but unfortunately there is not enough clearance on either side of the close to install barn door hardware to allow the door to slide to one side or the other.
February 12, 2013 at 9:13pm   
Christa Stephens
Oopsie. Typing o my phone here. I have *thought* of that and *may use* a barn door as inspiration...
February 12, 2013 at 9:15pm   
PRO
JWinteriors
I would change the light fixture to a recessed can..add a second one in this hall if needed. Paint the cabinetry creamy white, add a crown moulding and either add detail trim to the doors or switch them out to raised paneled doors. Add crystal hardware. You have a beautiful, eye catching built in that everyone will love.
February 12, 2013 at 9:19pm   
PRO
Gail Elwyn
I LOVE the barn door suggestion by Terri. Before I saw her comment I thought the same thing. Just have to make sure the wall has enough to support them.
February 12, 2013 at 9:22pm   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I had a similar problem and a good solution was to repaint the cabinet frames and doors on the inside and then wallpaper the doors and change the hardware (to improve the locking system and the aesthetics)
February 13, 2013 at 2:07am     
handymam
ASVInteriors, that is a fantastic solution! Beautiful!
February 13, 2013 at 4:42am     
Christa Stephens
OH, I love the wallpaper idea! Thanks ASVInteriors! Do I wallpaper the whole hallway,though, or just the doors?
February 13, 2013 at 7:52am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I just wallpapered the doors (less complicated) and painted the rest.
Glad you like it!
In my case, I added mirrors the other side as our hallway is so narrow - this is a trick often used to open up a narrow space...!
February 13, 2013 at 9:21am     
Christa Stephens
i love the effect of the mirrors, but i don't think i could apply it to my hallway since the doorway to our guest bedroom is directly across from this built-in. :( Thanks so much, though. I really think we're on to something here :D
February 13, 2013 at 10:07am   
More Discussions
Complementing paint color
I purchased this chaise lounge for my office and now...
Time to paint Rosecottage kitchen
The white wall primer has been on for a year now since...
Porch & door color
I need help deciding on colors for this front porch...
POLL: Carpet or Hardwood?
Do you prefer carpet or hardwood as your go-to flooring...
What colours do I use?
I desperately need help with choosing colours for my...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.