Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color should I paint the brick.
hparks74
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Bought this dilapidated cape in trendy neighborhood near downtown Nashville. This is not a discussion whether to paint or not. We are painting and the additions will be shaker shingles. Any suggestions will be appreciated. My thoughts are Kalamata olive which is a brownish deep plum with a weathered grey shaker. Our new window are unfortunately white vinyl. Could afford wood clad. Third photo is a before.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jill Jardie
Could you go to a lighter tone in the covered area so it doesn't look so dark?
February 12, 2013 at 9:25pm   
janishill
I suggest you drive around the neighborhood and see what others are doing before you make a decision.

If you are going to live there it is one thing; if you are going to flip it it is another.
February 12, 2013 at 9:34pm   
hparks74
I have not thought of that but I like your thinking. Got a color in mind. I actually was thinking of doing inside the porch in a horizontal cedar slat.
February 12, 2013 at 9:36pm     
hparks74
It a very eclectic mix of home that are early to mis century. My last house which is one street over was a 1930's brick jazz bungalow.
February 12, 2013 at 9:38pm   
janishill
I understand the neighborhood is eclectic, but so is your house, for it isn't a cape.

Go with your gut then, for everyone on Houzz will have a different idea.
February 12, 2013 at 9:40pm   
sherri curtis
Brick is a beautiful thing. What about adding a low sheen toffreshen it and get white shutters and trim around the house. A brick painted wood porch with white fencing, and white wicker rockers in front. Plant white rose bushes along the front. Keep the charm......just a thought?????
February 12, 2013 at 9:42pm     
hparks74
This is a cape remove my side wings and this is what my house looks like. You are not seeing the main portion of this house from these pics. I have consulted with two architects and yes they call it a modified cape. I have a story in a half with no eaves on the ends of my home.
February 12, 2013 at 9:47pm     
hparks74
Thank you Sheri54, although I feel your comments would add value to any home I'm looking for a more modern look.
February 12, 2013 at 9:49pm   
Ramona
I love the color combination but feel like others it is dark. Can you use one of those paint programs at a paint store which shows you how the house will look?
February 12, 2013 at 9:59pm     
janishill
If I mentally take the wings off of your house it is still not a Cape Cod style home. A cape would have windows on both sides of the door. A half cape would have two seperate windows to the
left or right of the door. Your front window in a triple like those on a Ranch style house.

Often times people will call a house by a particular style when they are not certain what the true style is.

Why not do a little historical research on your house and see what you come up with? You will most likely find pictures that reveal its true style.
February 12, 2013 at 10:00pm   
hparks74
If you removed the front we it used to have a window on both sides. Ok it is not a cape although two legally certified architects call it a cope. I was really hoping for suggestions on a unique and interesting paint palette not a argument as to what style it is.
February 12, 2013 at 10:08pm     
hparks74
It's had three addition since 1945
February 12, 2013 at 10:09pm   
Elise
How about olive green paint on the shingle siding, with charcoal colored shutters and a plum/red door. Perhaps the darker olive on the base of brick siding and a lighter tone of olive on the upper addition. The white-trimmed windows will be a nice contrast.

For future resale value, staying away from the color plum that reads as purple to many people could help.

Green House - 1152 - South Main Colorado

Hickory Lane

Conard Romano Architects

AA Trueline Construction Services Inc.
February 12, 2013 at 10:25pm   
janishill
You are in the south. It gets hot. A dark house is even hotter and more costly to cool. Your roof is dark enough.

Paint the body Pratt and Lamberts Lambswool and the trim BM Narragansett Green with BM Country Redwood for the front door...or BM China White and the trim BM Iron Mountian. Stay with the BM Country Redwood for the door.

If you must go with a darker color try a soft gray and use the color you like for the trim.

I wasn't arguing, just clarifying. Even an architect can be wrong. Especially if they are young and aren't from New England.
February 12, 2013 at 10:26pm     
ispeakwhale
I'm sorry, hparks74. :/ Regardless, I think you are trying to make it more appealing on the exterior?

I like the idea of the kalamata olive, but I think that the dark color would be best for trim and/or shutters. On the house this size (front elevation) it will make it look very dark and tiny.

Thinking...
February 12, 2013 at 10:35pm   
hparks74
It's 2200 square feet.
February 12, 2013 at 10:38pm   
hparks74
This is a house that I felt inspired by. It it's with my neighborhood and although I don't like black I love the dark rich tone and added textures.
February 12, 2013 at 10:40pm   
onthefence
That inspiration photo is great hparks. This is IMHO only - but I think dark colors like that really work best on MCM style houses. My inclination for your house would be a lighter color - primarily because of the white windows.

I think you can still make a major color statement there with your landscaping.
February 12, 2013 at 10:46pm   
ispeakwhale
Ok, I looked the color up - Benjamin Moore? It's not as dark as I imagined it to be!

The colors they suggest would be nice!

Kalamata exterior
cream for trim and the porch area (Barbados sand)
blackish door (Soot)

I like it!
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/kalamata#ce_s=kalamta
February 12, 2013 at 10:46pm   
Elise
Your inspiration photo looks like a charcoal grey color, which is very Cape Cod and would look great on your home. Definitely looks great with brick. Brighten up the white trim and sharpen the contrast against a dark color with crisp white shutters.

February 12, 2013 at 11:15pm   
hparks74
Close but its actually by Martha Stewart it's called Kalamata Olive. And I like your thoughts. http://rakstagemom.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/the-wizard-of-oz-warner-brothers-dorothy-in-poppy-field-wallpaper6_1024x7681.jpg
February 12, 2013 at 11:20pm   
hparks74
Here is another paint sample
February 12, 2013 at 11:24pm   
ispeakwhale
The last pic is more the color I thought it was. It looks good there, but I think I like the idea of the cream trim better than grey. What door colors are you open to?
February 12, 2013 at 11:31pm   
yvesun
So I wouldn't paint the brick, instead I would widen the focasia board and casements and paint those in a dark grey like BM rocky coast 1595 and paint the front door grenada hills gold 229. It would add sophistication to the home. Is the wall of the veranda brick as well?
February 12, 2013 at 11:34pm   
ispeakwhale
I know! I know!

Kalamata Olive
a pale, pale regular olive trim color and porch area
Pimento red door - fresh color, or the roasted color (lol!)

Looks good! http://www.marthastewart.com/338405/warm-marinated-olives
February 12, 2013 at 11:44pm   
hparks74
Actually I was thinking a door in a deep turquoise with steel accents.
February 12, 2013 at 11:46pm   
ispeakwhale
February 12, 2013 at 11:46pm   
hparks74
I am kinda feeling the taupe trim
February 12, 2013 at 11:47pm   
ispeakwhale
I'm not getting the Oz reference. Poppy color?
February 13, 2013 at 12:04am   
ispeakwhale
Ok, so you like really cool colors and a contemporary vibe.

Whatever floats your boat! You seem to know what you want. Do EEEEEET!

But, imo, if you like turquoise, I would suggest a deeper teal for the door, and if you like taupe for the trim I would suggest a greener taupe - closer to olive green. The colors would compliment each other better, ;)
February 13, 2013 at 12:06am     
hparks74
I won't be getting to the exterior color as the interior is gutted stem to stern. Spring after we move back in.
February 13, 2013 at 12:46am   
PRO
Bob Ybarra Building Designer
hparks74
You stated that you were inspired and wanted a modern look. I then suggest framing out the windows with a wide trim painted white to match the vinyl windows. Leave the brick on the two gable ends but do some faux paint to give it a used brick look. The shaker shingle works but consider also a straight & wide horizontal lap siding. Modern uses strong horizontal or vertical lines (as in your pic). Your Kalamata Olive works well. But I suggest going with a higher quality paint like Behr paint rather than Martha Stewart label. Carry the color on the fascia (I would not enlarge) and same paint color over entry brick only. Makes sure you use the proper primer. Again wide white trim around the entry door & porch windows. But then select a contrasting color between the white trim and the new color for the front door to accent it. Next it is important to consider your landscape and approach to the house. I'd remove the large tree, add trees to the outer sides of the yard to frame the face of the home, then add color with the plants you use. Build from low ground cover to shrubs or hedges that will hide the raised foundation. Consider staining the concrete walk and porch and adding some walkway lighting. Porch lighting is important also to brighten the entry at night. The overall look will be an inviting entry and welcoming elevation. There are some good ideas in the exterior photos of Houzz. Hope this helps.
February 13, 2013 at 12:56am     
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Looking for a unique masculine mirror for a mens bathroom.
I don't have photo's but we are decorating a new build....
half bath into half bath AND laundry room
The space is 4.5 feet by 8 feet - want to have toilet,...
need paint color to mathch garage door
Painting the siding above the garage door and need...
Help me Re-Style the Mantle & Bookcases
OK, it's the age old problem....the mantle and bookcases....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.