Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Thoughts on painting kitchen island
jamesfc
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I snagged this second hand kitchen island to add some more counter space in my kitchen. I changed the hardware to brushed nickel to match my other cabinets but the wood is slightly darker than my other cabs. I want to paint it a complimentary color. Initially planned on white but I'm now having second thoughts. Looking for opinions. My live in girlfriend is against painting it, but she was against the island idea entirely at first and now loves the functionality of it.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesfc
This is what I started with.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:19PM
janishill
Paint the base black since the side of your stove is black.
4 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:21PM
mveasey
Yes, I would paint it a darker shade, it will anchor your kitchen. Something along the countertop colour, perhaps a dark charcoal .Leave the butcherblock of course. Nice job upgrading the appliances and good call on the island, your kitchen was missing something before.
5 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:28PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
In the picture , the difference does not look too different., as with wood cabinets that age differently, although the difference is not too great. if you paint the island in another color, it will draw attention to the island, which will make the kitchen appear smaller.you cold place a larger c.top with an overhang of 6" on all sides, at least on all three sides, making sure there is enough space all around.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:32PM
Curtis O'brien
Even paint the island the same colors of the wall . The gray tone would pop. good luck !!
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:33PM
How about adding a piece of marble, granite to the top of the island? Maybe even black? You would still be able to use as you do now.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:39PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
It would look very interesting and work well with your kitchen if you painted the base to resemble zinc. It would need to be quite dark, not light zinc as you want it to be a darker look than the appliances. Zinc is very user friendly in the kitchen, as it won't show marks and dings like white or black.

Here is a tutorial.
http://www.freckledlaundry.com/2010/07/faux-zinc-painting-tutorial.html

Great idea to put island in, so handy.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:40PM
jamesfc
What finish of paint do people typically use when painting cabinets? Just flat? Satin?

I actually took the island from my mother, she just had her kitchen remodeled and was gonna toss this. Thought I was nuts for wanting it.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:41PM
janishill
Use gloss for cabinets. It is washable and holds up well.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:43PM
PRO
JWinteriors
If the slight difference bothers you, painting it is your option. I do like the matching look right now. Changing the butcher block to a black stone top would be my choice with a slightly larger overhang. I would also add crown moldings to the cabinetry. If you decide to paint it...dark, dark charcoal.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:44PM
mveasey
At our home improvement store, the furniture paint only comes in a satin sheen. But specialty paint stores might have more options. I do like the zinc idea in a way as well...
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:45PM
jamesfc
The grain is much more pronounced on the island
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:47PM
jamesfc
I really couldn't justify the cost if a slab of granite for such a cheaply made cabinet. Options are really paint or no paint.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:51PM
Elise
Unless you really want to keep it monochromatic, consider a pop of color and think about red or some other color you would like as an accent.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:03PM
yvesun
Why not just sand it down and re varnish it to match your current cupboards and purchase the same countertop as you have in the rest of your kitchen?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:06PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Getting this Island for free was a good decision and you are right spending a lot of money is not an option , This closeup of cabinets, shows the differentce in the stain.Just a though, wonder how it would look if you got it professionally spray painted to give a look o an appliance maybe paint the sides black with silver mettallic finish on the doors- although not sure how that would look ?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:08PM
Loretta Callejas
I WOULD HAVE FUN. I PAINTED MY CABINET DOORS AND LEFT THE CABINET ALONE. BLACK DOORS, USE STAINLESS STEEL PANELS CUT TO GO INSIDE DOOR PANEL . . 3 TONE LOOK WOOD PAINT AND STAINLESS WOULD BLEND IN GREAT.I ALSO LIKE THE RED IDEA. IF USING RED ADD MORE RED TOUCHES TO KITCHEN AS ACCENTS. HAND TOWELS, PICTURE, VASE, APPLES, RED UTENSIL HOLDER. WHEN PAINTING DOORS TAKE THEM OFF REMEMBER USE SAME SCREWS & HARDWEAR IN SAME PLACES DO NOT SWITCH DOORS. SAME SAME. SAND DOOR, PRIME 1ST USING SMALL ROLLER WITH NOT FUZZY ROLLER HOME DEPOT HAS FOR CABINETS. LET DRY THEN PAINT SEMI GLOSS OR GLOSS COLOR. ROLL IN 1 DIRECTION VERTICALLY DO NOT DRIP AVOID LINES. PUT DOORS BACK ON LOOK AT HOW IT LOOKS DECEIDE IF YOU WANT TO DO MORE OR ARE SATISFIED. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR CEILING LOOKS LIKE BUT I WOULD ADD A POT RACK ABOVE ISLAND.GET A COOPLE OF NEW SHINNY STAINLESS STEEL POTS.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:00PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I love that you are using the space that you have for an island. Mom's junk is your treasure. I would paint base a gloss black. A couple of ideas: Maybe you could add a wonderful texture to the top by painting a faux stone or faux finish if you're crafty. There are kits available and videos online. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5239293n .
For the top to keep costs low, there are also granite or marble tiles, add grout and a bullnose trim.
Faux granite
Kitchen 1
Kitchen 2

Tiles
Kitchen granite tiles 1
Kitchen granite tiles 2
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:13PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Is the grain quite pronounced? If so painting in a gloss will really accentuate the grain. Just something to consider if you didn't want to see that. Matt black and distress the piece perhaps? Allow the wood to show through a bit, keep top as it is. Would also work. Lots of suggestions, show your mom what you can do with her discarded piece, maybe she'll want it back!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 11:31PM
jamesfc
Did a coat of minwax polyseal in black
13 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:43AM
lefty47
HI -- I don't think anyone else mentioned it but you do have room beside the stove for another small cabinet and then that would help hide the side of the stove and give the kitchen a more finished look. The island looks great now but I do not like the look of the flat end ,-- it needs something -- maybe a shallow bookcase , if you need it .
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:25AM
msafre1
Looks great with the dark pain James
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:37AM
jamesfc
I agree with you on all points lefty. I plan on one day doing a complete remodel and with that in mind don't want to spend the money and time trying to find a matching cabinet and counter top. But some sort of shelf on the end of the island could be doable.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:43AM
ptmatthews
I would paint a dark shade to match floor and wall color.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:48AM
janishill
Great job, James! What does your girlfriend think now?

Oh...and as for a cabinet to go on the left of frig...you could start watching Craigs list. I don't know about your area, but in mine people give away all their old kitchen cabinets. You might find just the right piece.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:06AM
vickie791
Great Job, It turned out very nice.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:28AM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Looks great. Could you place the cabinet with the kitchen and post the pic.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:50PM
kadodi
I just want to mention that you don't have to get a whole slab of granite ... You can get a remnant cheap.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 6:58PM
jamesfc
Such as this design studios?
4 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:07PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Great ! , For listening to all, but doing what you felt was right.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:47PM
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
looks great.. well done!
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:53PM
Joanne Rago
I made a island from my late mother's tv cabinet. Just about the size of this in the picture. Mine matches the cabinets I have in my new home, but I did put a raised top on it, made of plywood with the same tiles as my floor, with a wood molding to encase the tile.. I put wicker baskets of potatoes and onions underneath, and use the inside for all my large pans and pressure cookers. I would stain or paint it in a dark color and put a marble or faux marble top on this with a overhang on one side, as to put a bar chair for extra seating or just to prep foods. I did this, with a wrought iron chair and use it for doing bills, peeling veggies, and easier to rest while cooking without being far from the action.. hope this helps, and I always think of my mom when I sit at it.. good luck.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:00PM
jamesfc
A new light fixture that ill swag over the island is in the plans. Just haven't found one that appeals to me yet. Checked a bunch of stores already.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:21PM
mveasey
Looks great!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 10:11PM
personette
I would consider how the room is receiving light at the time of the day you are in it the most. Personally, I like working with natural light as long as it isn't blinding to adding to heat gain. If your kitchen is usually a shady room, to alleviate the mostly brown colors, I would consider a color lighter than the floor..like a heavy cream which would make the butcher block stand out. If the room is really sunny most of the day, then I agree that a satin black would show it off and complement the various shares of brown in the space. You will never regret the island...they are Godsends!
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 7:40PM
sunnyelena
Great Job! I like that the island matches the accent color in the floor; good choice! For any more extras, yard sales, thrift stores, architectural salvage, "on the sidewalk/boulevard"... keep looking for (almost) free stuff. No rush! The price will be right.
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 8:13PM
jamesfc
All done
4 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 9:37AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Very nice! .
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:43PM
centaurita
Congrats! It looks great. Good choice with going dark.
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
Need help finishing living room wall
I am hoping to get some help in finishing my living...
Kitchen help
Just closed and have 1 month to complete multiple projects.(sand...
Pine Bedroom Furniture . . . To Paint or Not to Paint?
I've had this furniture since the mid-80's and am less...
Window To Nowhere - Ideas?
Here is your design challenge. I am starting a rehab...
Need help with my bathroom.
My bathroom has no windows. It has a white wall-to-wall...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.