powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need input on how to remodel my home facade!
jspr11
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought this home and I want to get some input regarding how I can remodel the front of the house to make it look more contemporary. I am thinking of replacing the windows and adding stacked stone around the pillar, and maybe change the way the stucco wall looks (remove the vertical lines)..something similar to this other home: http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/46/bigphoto/352/Y1107352_0.jpg . Your inputs will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark Wright
Color is the key here and the only thing you need to work with is your roof tile (and possibly the garage door), which is fairly neutral, so all good. I'm currently going through a grey tone phase so I'd look to a stone grey thru to gun metal tone and let the garden balance it out. if the budget is there ..push the boat out for a timber garage door.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 3:48AM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
I totally agree with this first comment here by Mark Wright and I'd also suggest buying cedar or timber blinds (louvres) for all you windows and you'll be surprised what a difference it will make.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 3:54AM
groveraxle
I like this house a lot. The biggest problem I see is that unfortunate pyramid roof on the garage. It ruins the lines of the house. First thing I'd do is look into changing it into a flat or simple pitched roof.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:34AM
PRO
The Design Mill
A simple but effective change would be to cut back the eaves (we call in Australia) to the porch and garage, lift the wall to create a facade to the porch and garage. This will give you clean and contemporary lines to the home. You are very lucky that your home has bulk and square lines which leans to a modern facade. If you are unsure of my description please message me and I can sketch for you
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 5:23AM
jspr11
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

Mark - Can you point me to any specific example of grey to gunmetal stacked stones so that I can visualize it?

The Virtual Designer - Aren't the timber blinds for the interior? Do they make such a visual difference from the exterior too? BTW, I am in love with those rich timber blinds too :-)

Groveraxle - I agree the roof kind of spoils the look, but it is only 5 years old, and I hate to tear down something that new :-(

The design Mill - I kind of get what you are describing, but would you be able to send me a rough sketch of the proposed facade? Thanks!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:14PM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello again- I was thinking of interior blinds and yes, you will notice a big difference.....at least I hope you will after paying for them. Look at any great house and you will notice that the window treatments are uniform and blending into the exterior elements.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 8:58PM
Mark Wright
Sure, here is a close up of the stone and a long shot of. Color palate to work with, (note the garage door and window trims) might be worth looking at a techniques for changing the roof tiles a shade or two towards a grey stone to pull it together.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:50AM
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:51AM
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 6:52AM
apple_pie_order
I like the stacked stone idea to replace the current stone. Move the large plant away from the front window. Keep the paint light and bright under the porch eaves so that it doesn't look cave-like. The biggest change you can make to the appearance of the house is to park your cars in the garage, not in the driveway.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:07AM
jspr11
Mark - This is some beautiful stack of stones! I am definitely going to use these. Do you know where I can get this from? Is there a particular manufacturer I should go with? I might use this for my fireplace too!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:05PM
jspr11
Apple_pie : Haha ...I would not park my car in the driveway :-) This photo was taken during home inspection, and the previous owners had their cars parked outside. I agree with you about the dark porch - I might add a few bright lights in that area along with bright paint.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:10PM
Mark Wright
Unfortunately I'm a Singapore based Australian, so I'm not familiar with any suppliers in the US. Try a tile shop to start with then get the number of a stone supplier.
Good luck.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:09AM
PRO
The Design Mill
Can you email me your picture and I will sketch on the thoughts for you. Enquiries@thedesignmill.com.au
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:28AM