Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating my 8-y.o. daughter's bedroom
golubm
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
She likes green so we did one wall in BM pear green with a lighter version on the slanted ceiling above, but she wants more color. Should we do more wall color or bring in colors with furniture, accents, etc? She really wants decal polka dots somewhere . . .
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
golubm
P.S. I'm also not sure the lighter green works . . . maybe too yellow?
February 13, 2013 at 7:45am   
cohoek
Yup, I would paint the slanted part the bold green too, Then accessorize with lots of bold fuchia pink, red and bold blue. Try it out with stuff/ clothes thats laying around the house to see if it works. Fun!!
February 13, 2013 at 7:56am     
PRO
Dytecture
The green is quite a strong color, I agree with introducing more colors through accessories so they can be changed relatively easily.

February 13, 2013 at 8:01am   
aniluap2
My middle daughter went through that stage in her early teens and I went with a very similar color. I let her have all the color she wanted...it's only paint! She went for the Lily Pulitzer look-pink and green- I painted the ceiling a pale pink and used mostly pink accessories with some pink and green patterned fabric. She was happy as a clam, and though it was not exactly my preference, I figured it was her space and she should at least be able to express herself in one room. Now that she is in her early 20's she has gone to the other extreme and her NYC apartment is shabby chic with lots of white and muted color. She is very self assured and knows what she likes and I think that allowing her to make those choices, like you are allowing your daughter to do, really encourages their self confidence.
February 13, 2013 at 8:14am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I agree with Cohoek on this dilemma. Definitely break it up with pinks - this image might give you ideas of how to add warm colours to the cool green

February 13, 2013 at 8:16am   
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I love the photo that Dytecture posted. That is what I would lean towards. Also, I would paint the upper wall the same color as the lower wall.
February 13, 2013 at 8:23am     
PRO
H.M.I Designs
I love the green! pink polka dots on the green wall would look great and be fun! then just bedding with green and pink, or yellow
February 13, 2013 at 8:28am   
redheadedwmn
Saw this idea on HGTV where they re-did a girls bedroom and she had a slanted ceiling... they painted the room pink and grey and added these 3D butterflies to the slanted part of the ceiling. Might be an idea to add more color?
February 13, 2013 at 9:37am   
aniluap2
Love that! Let's see what her daughter thinks!
February 13, 2013 at 9:57am   
PRO
Warner Decor
I think that purchasing an area rug first would help you out. Here are a few options:
(I included a few different ones)
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/baxter-area-rug/
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/critters-area-rug/
February 13, 2014 at 8:50am   
printesa
My girls wanted pink and green (your green looks very similar to what we have, apple green). We painted two green walls and two pink (one pink is lighter than the other). We also have dots that can be easily placed on the wall and taken off and repositioned. I believe they were called Dottilicious wall decals (can be found here http://www.cherryfour.com/junior/decor/wall-art-decals/?nggpage=9)
I'll for a photo of their room and post it
February 13, 2014 at 8:59am   
printesa
here is a photo,,not very clear, but it gives you an idea
February 13, 2014 at 9:04am