Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with concealing a poll in basement
lms2012
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently finished our basement but having a hard time finding a square column to conceal this eye-sore of a poll. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not a fan of the breadboard circular one - would like to find one pre-made that a do-it-yourselfer can handle. Thank u!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann
I would cover it with a column, and add another column further down to appear as an opening
3 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:07AM
aniluap2
I agree with Ann. Box it out with a column and balance the other side with another. You could even put a low bookshelf with cubbies for storage baskets or counter with cube ottomans underneath between them to partition off the space and make them look like they belong there.
3 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:19AM
PRO
Natural Stone Veneers International, Inc.
I can all but guarantee there's a pole inside one of these columns (see attachment). http://www.nsvi.com/
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:30AM
Jayme H.
My only concern with 2 columns is that if they r both spaced the same distance from the walls...it will be a potential obstruction to the walking path/doorway area & in that tight of an area..two may get too bulky if they r wrapped, unless it is a close wrap.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 8:34AM
nasmijati
Here are a few photos. All are from Houzz. I am sorry they do not enlarge on this post.
The first photo shows a Craftsman type square pillar with short bookcases filling the gap between the wall and the pillar.
The second photo shows the opposite side, also with short bookcases, this time furnished.
The third photo is much fancier than you need, but shows a larger expanse.
Best wishes.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:49AM
aniluap2
Good point Jayme.love the pictures eztia
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:53AM
aniluap2
Maybe you can wrap just that pillar and build a bookcase fom it to the wall on the right side of the picture and leave the other end open for walking thru.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:55AM
Jay Van Daley
You could always leave it and invite strippers over...(okay, not such a good joke).
Seriously, though, anilaup2 I think is on to a great idea. It would not be difficult to enclose the pole inside a pilaster (fancy word for a fake or non supportive column) and then build a bookcase from the pole to the existing wall leaving the other end open as a walking area. I kind of see a full height bookcase as opposed to an exposed column look. Cabinet grade birch plywood, painted white to match the other trim and the door, for the pilaster, and 1x 12 shelves. If done right, the shelves could be adjustable, too.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:11AM
aniluap2
You're funny Fedor...but seriously I heard pole dancing is grat exercise Ha!Ha!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:23AM
nasmijati
A floor to ceiling bookcase between the pole and the wall is a good idea. The bookcase could even be double sided, so it could be used for books, puzzles, and games in the children's play area, and books or other items on the opposite side.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:34AM
Jay Van Daley
eztia took it a bit further...I like that thought. Would you make it pass thru, or divided?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:38AM
PRO
House of Fine Carpentry
I would suggest wrapping a interior column wrap around your jack post. Then paint it the same colour as your trim. This column would wrap around a steel jackpost.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 10:41AM
nasmijati
@Fedor. I was thinking of two bookcases back to back between the wall and the pole.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 10:43AM
Elise
Great ideas above. Have also seen low cost means of wrapping the pole with a thick rope to beef up the column and make it more interesting. Go with bookcases as they make a great room divider and you can box the structural post in to tie in with them. http://www.columnsandbalustrades.com/HTML/HDPColumns.aspx
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 10:49AM
groveraxle
Search for "column wraps" on google. You can buy them precut and just have to put them in place and paint them. Here's one: http://www.architecturaldepot.com/CWKT86063.html?gclid=CILpupb7s7UCFcdxQgodpWAAwg
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 10:58AM
Jay Van Daley
eztia, something like this, right?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:58AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Sorry, but none of the ideas posted really take into account the homeowners desire for a DIY kit...but one. I love the fertile imagining going on and the results would be far superior! But I notice that they have checked out...If they would give feedback on these ideas you'd have a bit more to go on!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:01AM
PRO
House of Fine Carpentry
You can purchase a mdf column wrap on line and just paint. Column wraps come precut and all you need to do is assemble.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:10AM
rosemaryscavelli
I solved the problem in my daughters bed room by blocking it with 4 pieces of wood [paint or stain the wood] and used it as a picture showcase, we put carpet on it for awhile when she was small so she would not hit her head, it looked cute, but carpet is not in right now; i don't think anyway.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:18AM
aniluap2
Good point ironwood builders. Glad someone gave some links they could use. You can use low unfinished wood bookes that come in many widths to fill the space between the column and wall and place trim around to make them look like built- ins if that's the route you take. Did not at close enough attention to the question, Sorry.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:22AM
hairnet123
Wrap it with a rope. Inexpensive and gives it a nautical look.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:29AM
Dawn Hooks
I would wrap the column as above and add a second one against the wall ( where you have the pictures on the wall )this would not be in your walk way and will offer some feeling of separation from the play area.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:36AM
PRO
Sweetlake Interior Design LLC
You can allways wrap it with a wood veneer and stain it match the floors. I did it in my open concept living space.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:42AM
cooney124
this link will take you to a site that offers different covers for lally columns. http://www.architecturaldepot.com/lally-columns.html
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:46AM
PRO
Natural Stone Veneers International, Inc.
Here's an image where the owners simply painted the pole, maximizing space in their new basement build-out. It isn't the clearest image, but you get the idea.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:48AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:56AM
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 12:01PM
nasmijati
@fedor. Yes, your drawing is very close to what I was trying to describe about back-to-back bookcases.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:16AM
nasmijati
Ims2012. Hello? What are your thoughts?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:16AM
lms2012
Holy input everyone!!!! Will talk to the hubby on his thoughts on all of the above. I think whatever is simplest at this point is probably where we are leaning - we are done with this basement consuming our life:-). Will send an update once we decide! Thanks again everyone, and happy valentine's day!
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:07AM
Jayme H.
Some of those wraps looked simple and economical....and looked good!! Good luck!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 11:21AM