Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My open floorplan
caichele
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I recently redid my kitchen /living
Room I don't have room for a dining room table and I miss it would you put a table in living room
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
Nice house! Can u post pics of the rest of the living room? It appears there may not be enough room for a table from these pics.
February 13, 2013 at 8:16am     
charleee
I agree with Jayme and also, how do you watch tv from the sofa?
February 13, 2013 at 8:18am     
caichele
Should I replace living room furniture with dining room furniture I do have a small family room
February 13, 2013 at 5:47pm   
Judy M
If you don't need both a living room and a family room and you would enjoy and use a dining room, I say go for it. Why not use the space the way if works for you?
February 13, 2013 at 5:52pm     
Jayme H.
Me too!
February 13, 2013 at 6:24pm   
PRO
Staged & Styled by Susan
Can't see enough of the room to really get the whole layout. Your couch is neutral and needs some
color. The pillows you have on there now are "blah". Bring out the rust color you have in the two side chairs and add 2 dark rust pillows and 2 teal pillows. I think the sofa should not be against that wall - there is too much space in the middle of the room. Since I can't see the rest of the room; I can't really comment on a better location.
February 13, 2013 at 6:38pm   
gunnsharon
I would make a scale floor plan on graph paper and to scale the furniture you want. You would be surprised how well you can solve the design space issues doing it this way. My kitchen is set up like yours overlooking a 14 by 14 dining room cum sitting room. I have a dining table which I can extend for different size groups seating up to ten people and even more when we add in another side table.. but most of the time it is for four and I have two w ing chairs or at times one wing chair and a love seat in front of the patio door / window during the winter. When I have a large sit down dinner I only have the one wing chair by my fireplace in the dining room/ great room. You could then have your family room as your living room or your media room which ever suits your life style.
February 13, 2013 at 6:47pm   
nukiegirl
Great job! Think of how often you actually will use your dining room table. Dont change it for a 1 or 2 times a month use. I have the counter bar and stools, kitchen table and dining room table and we sit in the living room with our food and watch tv. LOL We only use it a couple of times a month with company. There are some awesome coffee tables that will lift up to be a reg table height and that would serve you a dual purpose. Then you could buy 4 stack chairs and store in the basement or closet. We had a 5th wheel trailor at one time for work purposes that I had a great wood coffee table with the tabletop and sides that flip up. It was nice! So another place to find those tables would be camping world. Good Luck!
February 13, 2013 at 10:47pm     
sistersassy
The room looks small, need to see more picture...please
February 14, 2013 at 8:16am   
PRO
The Creative Man
Hi, You can do anything you like. It's all individual taste today. If it doesn't fit, try a new coffee table that is the height of an eating table and when you want to dine more formally you can put chairs around it.
February 14, 2013 at 11:06am     
Jayme H.
Yeah, I say do what u want...It's your house...enjoy it, live in it the way u want to live in it! If u miss a dining room, make a new one!!
February 14, 2013 at 11:10am   
lefty47
HI -- If the two chairs have a wall behind them , then put the sofa on that wall ( if there is room) then have the table and chairs on the wall where the sofa is now. You could have a bench backed to the wall then have the table with the chairs around .
February 14, 2013 at 11:32am   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Hard to tell from the few photos if you have the room... but if you could have the back of the sofa to the kitchen, you could put a table behind it that could serve as a desk or dining table
February 14, 2013 at 11:46am     
soberg
Your house should have the furniture you need for the life you live. Definitely, if you want a dining table, find a place for one.

I see you have eating space at a bar. That space might have been better configured for table-type seating, i.e. with people on at least 2 sides, not all lined up. It might be painful since you just did the work, but perhaps you can reconfigure that bar area into a finished table area one way or another.
February 14, 2013 at 12:52pm   
Jennifer Mullen
Why not make your small family room into a formal dining room?
February 14, 2013 at 5:50pm