Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
keep wood door with white trim or stain everything
martha0425
February 13, 2013 in Polls
Have wood stain trim and doors with matching wood blinds throughout our whole house. Not a big fan of all the wood trim work but the doors are solid wood and don't have the heart to paint them white. Also don't, want to replace the matching wood blinds. Therefore wondering if a mix of white trim with wood doors look okay.
We tried it in our master bathroom and need opinions
white trim with wood doors
stained trim with wood doors
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheryl Hannebauer
Have you thought about painting out the trim & baseboards the same as your wall colour at all?
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:35AM
martha0425
No because we want to carry the same look throughout the house.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 8:40AM
veganpaw
Paint the door white. There is something dingy and dark about all wood doors.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:51AM
martha0425
I just hate doing that to a solid wood door. And if i do that i still have stained wood blinds on every window
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:34AM
onthefence
Those doors appear to be really beautiful and i agree about not painting them.
4 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:37AM
redheadedwmn
Love to hear input on this too... we are replacing all our old wood windows with white vinyl and will be doing all the window trim in white. Our doors are a honey oak color and honestly I just don't want to do the work to paint them all. So question is, is okay to have both? Wood doors/blinds with white trim??
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:43AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Agreed if you planning on keeping everything the same white is the way to go definitely you can never go wrong with white . You can add color in with other decor.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:49AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like it either way. Though it is less expensive to have painted trim. It looks like you have pre-primed trim.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:55AM
martha0425
That's the crazy thing. We have all stained wood trim and doors. Therefore i m wondering if we are making the home look cheaper by painted the wood white? But once again the stained wood doesn't look great with dark flooring or some paint colors. So because we have stained wood blinds we were thinking of doing a mixture.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 12:18PM
martha0425
Question for interiors international. Do you see or have done homes with white trim work with wood doors? Or is that something that is out dated?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I have done them and quite recently. They are most definitely not dated.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:04PM
martha0425
Thanks so much. Its just so hard to decide on this. I have to say I never seem this done in other homes.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:25PM
kristaspada
paint the door black
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:37PM
PRO
Linda
I have done that recently in a house where portions of the house had painted trim and others had original antique woodwork. All the doors in the house are a dark stained 6 panel pine and no one has disliked it enough for any such comments to reach our ears. It's hard to get honest opinions out of people, face to face, but extreme opinions usually get to us through the grapevine.

I like the look. Painted white doors look great until the fingerprints, dirt spots, dents, dings and chips start to show up.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:34PM
audrey1978
The doors look good I wouldn't paint them either
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:39PM
martha0425
Very true. Can you post some pictures so i can get more ideas.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:41PM
PRO
SBT Designs
I would have the door architrave and skirting painted to match the wall colour in a 1/2 shade. It will have a more subtle and elegant feel to the room and make the door stand out as it's own feature.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:42PM
wyndyacre
I like the solid wood doors left as is with white trim. I have doors done that way in my 1926 schoolhouse home. But my opinion is the trim could stand to be more substantial with that large of a door.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:49PM
martha0425
Here are a few more pictures with the vanity
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:22AM
feeny
White trim with solid wood stained doors is a classic and very traditional combination. Our house, which dates from the 1920's, has white trim throughout with solid mahogany doors and stair rails. This is original to the house, and most of the colonial and georgian style houses in our 1920's neighborhood have this classic combination (the Tudors have wood trim throughout). Of course, it is also fine to paint your doors to go with the trim or in black as a contrast. It's entirely a question of what you feel will look best with the style of your house and your furniture as a whole.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:29AM
n247080
I'd at least switch out the door knobs for something that blends more subtly with the doors.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:39AM
DIAspoton
use a high quality dark wood furniture polish on the doors. live with them that way throught the seasons with the resulting changes in light and mood. you can always paint them next year if you don't like the look. throw a big white bathrobe or towel on the hook to break up the block of brown.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:40AM
martha0425
Thats a great idea with the towel or robe. The doors are just stained without a clear coat on them. If i use the polish would that make streaks on the doors?
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:54AM
martha0425
Our home is more contemporary/ modern open concept style. Maybe the white and stain combination doesn't work in our home since it seems from other comments its more in traditional homes?
Any thoughts
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:58AM
norgor
If you and the folks you care about like it, is correct.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 6:08AM
mameyerc1972
I have the same situation. I am thinking about gel staining my doors a walnut color with a nice bronze handle
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 5:30PM
diyher
we had solid wood doors we bought for our previous house. I stained and varnished all of them just a bit darker and warmer color than what Martha posted. At the time, we also replaced all the woodwork since it was the cheap clamshell. It looked great. Unfortunately that was 1990, and in 1995 sold our house. But all that work paid off because it sold quickly with that being one of the features. I wish I could at least do the stained wood doors in this house, but with 15 inside doors, closets etc, it would be a lot more pricey than our previous house with only 6 doors to replace.
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Pattern Help!
Do these patterns go together? Or are the drapes and...
bathroom wall mirror size
5ftx5ft space with 60 vanity ,, what would b smallest...
Tile backsplash for kitchen - stainless steel?
We are currently renovating our kitchen. We have oak...
Dreaming Green
We purchased a new construction home. The builder put...
Bathroom flooring question: always tiles or can use Eng. wood?
Aside the obvious water damage risk of using wood flooring...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.