Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What do I do with this fireplace????
sunshinemama941
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Eventually, we will do something with the fireplace to make it more traditional (some sort of tiles/mantle). In the meantime, our only option is paint.

The room will be painted sw accessible beige with eider white trim. Built in will be eider white with sw curio gray interiors.

I was thinking of painting the front wall with the fireplace all the way to the ceiling with sw curio grey. This is the only picture i have, but the fireplace juts out about three feet, so immediately to the left of the fp, there is a 3 foot "side" of the fireplace and then a wall with the "hearth" continuing along it for about another 6 or 7 feet. And then a wide doorway to another room.

I was thinking of Painting the front and sides of the hearth directly in front of the fireplace with sw pier and then only the top of the hearth that is not in front of the fireplace with pier , to give a faux bench look (i also have little kids, so figured it would cover any likely footprints) an accent with some pillows/cushions.

Do I paint the sides of the fireplace wall that juts out curio too? I was thinking not, but instead painting them to match the rest of the room (accessible beige).

Should I just paint the back wall of the built in shelves, or the entire interior? I was thinking entire interior.

The small window to the right of the fireplace is the only window in this room. The room dimensions are roughly 18x 30.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cheryl Draa Interior Designs
Well...this one made me think awhile! I do think that you should paint the sides and the front of the fireplace area, so that it looks like an extension into the room. To create that bench effect you mentioned, paint the entire hearth a deep color, perhaps SW0038 Library Pewter? Hang a LARGE picture over the fireplace, not a lot of little ones, to balance the big hole. 'The backs of the bookcases could be painted SW0042 Ruskin Room Green, (green is the new neutral) which will add a deep balance to the room and shift the interest a little away from the fireplace. Then when you can, put in a great mantle and that tile you were talking about. Post a picture after!
February 13, 2013 at 9:34am     
decoenthusiaste
Focus on the curio and don't worry about the FP until you have the funds to do it the way you really want it. I would paint the backs of the curio a nice accent color from a large colorful area rug. Buy one you love so you can pull colors from it for the room and furnishings. Then style the shelves - rule of thumb that seems to work best is 1/3 open, 1/3 books, 1/3 accessories. The "window" mirror is not reflecting anything interesting or beautiful, so it needs to go, along with the wirey table. Might paint that wall and vent the same color you put in the curio, but not sure since we can't see the entire space.
February 13, 2013 at 9:36am   
carole
why paint the back of the shelves???the items you put there will solve the backgroud issue!!i think the fireplace will look better in a different color,at the moment it is all the same..is it a real fire??be carefull with cushions!!!like the idea of painting the surround,here a picture of what i think it could like!!to make the tiles use a sponge then gloss it over
February 13, 2013 at 9:40am   
PRO
Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
We had maybe the ugliest fireplace in the world. We painted the whole wall white, and used old solid doors to make the mantel. Here are some shots. Paint and look for a salvage mantel as a temporary solution.
February 13, 2013 at 9:50am     
sunshinemama941
Cheryl- I like the Ruskin room green. The room adjacent to this one will be some variation of lighter green. I tend towards matchy matchy (thus using curio in two places!) but hunk it might tie nicely? Or would you say in that case avoid green in the shelves?
February 13, 2013 at 10:01am   
sunshinemama941
Deco- we're buying this house and having the whole thing painted before we move in (we have a large family and are expecting another baby), so I need to do something, anything with paint. I'm not loving the faux finish and It'll be awhile before we can tackle the fp (other projects include pool, landscaping, etc) for real. This also means the table and art are already gone.

This room is also a theater room (there is a pull down screen in the ceiling right in front of the bookcase and a ceiling mounted projection system), so I'd like to have furniture that can easily be reconfigured on movie night (there will be 8 of us!). so far, I found this sort of mirrored sectional look (see attached pic) that I think could marry style and function for this room, especially given that the room is thirty feet long.

I apologize for not having more pics to provide. Basically to the left of the fireplace after 6 or 7 feet of wall, is a wide (8-10? Ft ) doorway into a square foyer/entrance room, the wall across from the bookcase has a handcrafted narrow bar made with exotic wood for the bar top and covered in a tropical, but understated, fabric. If I were the only occupant, the bar would be gone, but husband likes it, and I've agreed to it for now, provided it actually gets used within the next twelve months. (not too many opportunities for cocktails with lots of little ones running around).

To the left of the bar wall is a standard sized door (connects to a small hallway that connects to bedrooms) and then the wall across from the fireplace is just a gigantic blank wall at the bar end of the room and at the bookcase end is another 8-10 ft? Doorway that opens to what I call the Florida room.

When you say 1/3 books, 1/3 accessories, 1/3 open, is that within each shelf or within the bookcase as a whole? I'll be honest, it has taken me some time to wrap my head around not filling all the shelves completely with books! I'm ok with that now, but I'm not sure I could actually leave 1/3 of the entire unit empty!
February 13, 2013 at 10:22am   
sunshinemama941
I like the idea of a different accent color, but I'm not sure I could find a large enough carpet that wasn't outrageously priced. Perhaps two smaller rugs that are the same? I've read it needs to be either all furniture on or all furniture off?

We're in south Florida, so I was expecting to accent with turquoise and lime (pillows, accessories), but I'm afraid to go too bold with paint! Maybe not lime? Turquoise perhaps? If my accessories include a lot of white, neutrals, seashell sort of colors, items?

I love the look of painted interiors of bookcases as I've seen on here, and I feel like I'm sort of holding back on some of the bolder colors/styles I would enjoy so as to accommodate my husband and family, so painting the bookcase interiors feels a little more "artistic" to me?
February 13, 2013 at 10:31am   
sunshinemama941
Luciana- those mantles look great! Unfortunately, hubby isn't too handy, and while I can be, I'm also pregnant, so they won't be happening any time soon! But I'll definitely keep it in mind for when we get up to tackling the fireplace!
February 13, 2013 at 10:33am     
sunshinemama941
Carole- yes, it is real fire! I wouldn't put the pillows or cushions on the hearth in front of the fireplace, but rather on the hearth that runs along the wall to the left of the fireplace. As I mentioned earlier, we are in south Florida, so we won't be using the fireplace very much- probably around the holidays for some ambiance.
February 13, 2013 at 10:36am   
sunshinemama941
Just have to apologize for all the errors- I'm on my iPad and why on earth would it change think to "hunk"????? (along with all the other disjointed sentences!)
February 13, 2013 at 10:37am   
carole
you see i have a real fire and even the rug that is about a mtr away has burns in it!!and its not you but kids,they are quick and do the silliest things!!i was thinking you could get a bench,but no need!!just me thinking out loud!!and yes 2 smaller rugs work fine too,and after reading your posts again,i've changed my mind,paint te back of the shelves,like you said another way to bring in color!!
February 13, 2013 at 10:58am   
carole
just found this,maybe to go with the fireplace,or is this to much of the same for you??
February 13, 2013 at 1:05pm   
sunshinemama941
Carole- LOVE these colors. In fact, these (the blues) are going to be the color of the walls of the square foyer/entrance room that is located next to this living room (don't have my measurements in front of me, but roughly 12x12) We're repainting the entire house, generally following the coastal cool sw collection- blues, greens and beiges/grays. I want the whole house to work together without being too matchy, matchy (I am a former accountant, so I tend towards matchy matchy). My daughter's room will be pink (what other color would you pick for a five year old girl!) and the kitchen is yellow, but generally doing the 60/30/10 with at least accenting with blue or green in most rooms. Foyer room/kitchen and dining room is fairly open plan- don't want to compartmentalize everything, but don't want to pain the whole house beige either.

I like the purple accent wall, but again am afraid! It seems like in new England this accent wall may work well, but seems almost too heavy for our overall color palette? Or perhaps I'm just not confident in my ability to pull it off?
February 13, 2013 at 1:20pm     
sunshinemama941
Here's another picture I found of this room- the walls with the art are on the wall across from the fireplace and that small doorway is the doorway I mentioned that leads to a small hallway/bedrooms.
February 13, 2013 at 1:30pm   
carole
oh,sounds lovely!!you might have a point about the purple but you can always tone it down a bit,the trick is to balance it with the white,but i think you dont need to worry about getting it wrong,it is going to be a gorgeous colorfull house!! this cushion seems to have all your colors in!!!
February 13, 2013 at 3:17pm   
sunshinemama941
Not sure if I should create a new post or update this one?

Anyway, here are the after pics of this room. Very happy with the way the painting came out! Now onto the finer details- primarily rugs, ottomans, and pillows. Usually Help for these items comes AFTER poster has invested money in the rug, I'm hoping to avoid that!

Just to recap- this is our more "formal" living room. Doubles as a movie room with large projection screen. Large family, so we actually do need all this seating and like it to be relatively easy to rearrange for movie viewing. We still have lots of little ones, so upholstered ottomans, no sharp edges coffee tables are preferred. Also important in rug selection as white is probably a no go. Would like to add texture via rug, but plan on using a jute/woven rug in adjacent more relaxed family room. Theme throughout the house is coastal. Want to accent with the bluer turquoise (softer as opposed to the brighter teal turquoise). As an accountant in a former life, I am drawn towards symmetry, and as a mom to many, I like the idea of saving $$$. So, I think two smaller (5x7?) rugs would work better for us than a large 8x12. Room dimensions are roughly 30x17. Very little natural light but in south Florida, for this particular room, that is a good thing.

Also wondering about art- will eventually have a mantle put in (not high on list of priorities) but for now want to put up some meaningful photograph canvases. Just over mantle? On both walls? Can I do a gallery on long wall?
April 26, 2013 at 11:53am     
decoenthusiaste
homedecorators.com has been having a sale on rugs. Their indoor/outdoor ones are nice, come in all sizes and are kid and spill-friendly - just take outside and hose off. I'm torn between wanting to make suggestions for a family movie room, which it really seems to be, and a formal living room, for which it is really missing the mark. I think you should go for the media room and let and idea of a "formal" room go. A well-done media room will suit any guests who have the opportunity to enjoy it. So, I suggest a darker color for the room and a seating arrangement with 3-seater sofas in the back and 2-seaters in the front of the theater. Well framed and matted photos of favorite classical Hollywood stars or movies could surround the seating area. Try an alcohol or ventless gas insert in the FP just for atmosphere. Would post some inspiration pics, but Houzz is not working too well for me today.
April 26, 2013 at 12:51pm   
carole
hi sunshinemama,the colors look good and the bleu just at the back...now that i see the colored back of the shelves, i like it ;-) think a gallery on the long wall is a good idea,what kind of art do you have in mind?found a rug with a coral theme,not sure if the colors are what you want,and as you mentioned 2 rugs maybe one grown up/one for the kids, i thought it might be possible to continue the coastal theme with a difference,and i really like the letters,maybe on the PF wall?? will have a look to see if there are any pillows and ottomans in this beachstyle,i understand it has to be childfriendly...
April 26, 2013 at 12:51pm   
carole
just keeping with this theme for now,and found ottomans with storage and a wooden (reclaimed) coffeetable,solid but maybe the corners could be a problem,and a nicer rug with a coral theme, or have 2 ottomans,that way if you rearrange for filmnight,it will all be easy to move around
April 26, 2013 at 1:23pm   
sunshinemama941
@deco- yes, when I say "formal", I mean "formal" for us. Which considering soon to be six kids from newborn to age 11, isn't really formal in the houzz world lol! "formal" for us means, not stained, ripped, torn, some semblance of looking nice and not a dead giveaway that there are five kids! Somewhere we could take a few pics of the kids in front of the fireplace or on the couch and it wouldn't look like romper room!

I think it would drive me crazy to have the room set up permanently as a theater room, since at best it'd be used as such once or twice a month. While we are excited to have a movie room (we obviously don't get out much with 5 kids and one on the way), we are not really movie people. I.e. we would not have put in the screen and surround sound and such, but since it was here and working when we bought the house, we figured we might as well use it. So, not too keen on movie decor as art. Much rather have some photos of sunset/beach from where we live or kids (but thinking they'll go on a gallery wall in the hallway in the bedroom part of the house)

Love the idea of an indoor/outdoor rug - I'll have to take a look. I was hoping for something to bring in some texture. Maybe look to the throw pillows to do this?

@carole. Love the second rug you posted. Subtle beachy and that is more of the turquoise I am aiming for. Also love the three canvases. Ideally, I'd create something like that with sunset/beach photos I've taken. Do you think over the fp? To the left of the fp?

What do I do with the 20' long wall behind the couches? It's screaming huge blank slate to me, but not enough room to pull couches closer to fp AND put a sofa table or two behind the couches to have furniture under any artwork.
April 26, 2013 at 1:32pm   
sunshinemama941
Carole- both of those ottomans could be contenders. Do you have a link? Clicking the picture is just enlarging the pic.

I like the reclaimed wood one too, but probably not practical right now.

I do like tan rug, is that too monotone? (or am I really a monotone type of gal?)- I know my husband would like it.
April 26, 2013 at 1:34pm   
sunshinemama941
Oh, and possible ideas for gallery wall on 20' wall- I have taken tons of pics of our local tropical flora- everything from coconuts and multiple palm varieties to hibiscus and bougainvillea. Three large color canvases? 8 black and white framed same sized matted photos? 10? 12?

Was also thinking behind the bar (at the end of the room opposite the builtin shelves) a trio of lifeguard station pictures/canvases I took at our town beach- to give somewhat of a "refined" tiki bar feel to that end of the room. Personally, I'd like to get rid of bar, but husband says it stays. I say it stays for 12 months and if it doesn't get regular use (once a month?) that thing is outta here!
April 26, 2013 at 1:39pm     
carole
think all the walls could have your pictures,would love to see some of them?? i like the tan rug better,but thought the colorfull ones would be nice for the little ones...will see if i can find links to the ottomans for you,never remember to take that as i8 find a picture of something i like,sorry back soon..
April 26, 2013 at 2:06pm   
carole
here goes; bleu stripe ottoman by angelo:home (seen on amazon and at superstore) the sandcolored crateandbarrel.com and the rugs are at Potterybarn just some pictures i picked trying to imagen what it would look like
April 26, 2013 at 2:54pm   
Joan McLemore
I installed a temporary wallpaper only to the face of the fireplace box. I created the design and had it printed at Spoonflower. There are many designs at the site depending on color and print preferences.

I read back through the post and saw that you did have the box painted. So you might save the wallpaper idea for when you want to remodel. (It may be after the little ones move to their own homes, as you are probably very busy now!)
April 26, 2013 at 3:49pm   
Nancy Walton
That actually appears to be venetian plaster, NOT a faux finish. Poeple pay a lot of money for a finish like that! It's too bad you want to paint over it, but it is your house! Just make sure you use a good primer, otherwise your expensive paint will sink right into it, and the color might bleed through.
April 26, 2013 at 6:46pm   
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
sunshinemama, if you are looking for some art ideas, you can check out our Houzz page. There is some coastal art there too. Enjoy and best of luck finishing your project!... Raisa
April 26, 2013 at 11:23pm   
Nancy Walton
Sorry, I didn't read through all of the posts before I posted! The room looks great so far, keep up the good work!
April 26, 2013 at 11:45pm   
carole
you mean something like this for the bar??
April 27, 2013 at 12:40am   
sunshinemama941
Carole- thanks for the ottoman links. I found a couple at homegoods I like too so I think for now I'll sit with indecision! I also saw some nice rugs there for AMAZING prices. An 8x10 jute was $299! I want one for my more tropical themed family room.

Most of the pics you selected are right on- the bar pics would be similar to the one you posted. The lifeguard pics too- I think I'm liking the black framed look the best. Perhaps I'll do the flora pics in matted black frames on the wall behind the sofas, do three smaller canvases of the lifeguard stations behind the bar, and a canvas triptych over the fireplace of a photo to still be determined.

Nancy- not sure if it was an actual Venetian plaster job or not. Previous owner did lots of faux finishes and glazes and such throughout the home. She told me what she did in each room and never mentioned a Venetian plaster job? The paint hasn't bled through and I have to say I am happy we painted it. Though it's hard to tell from the original pic, the entire room, from floor to ceiling was pink. Don't get me wrong, pink is actually my favorite color, but it had to go. I think I'd rather use rugs and pillows to lighten the room up a bit though.
April 29, 2013 at 11:59am     
carole
sounds like a plan to me!! :-)
April 29, 2013 at 12:14pm   
Nancy Walton
The fireplace looks nice sunshinemama, I'm glad you painted it! I'm not that fond of pink, myself.
April 29, 2013 at 1:03pm   
sunshinemama941
Sorry to dredge up an old thread- I'm back to working on this room. I ended up going with brown leather storage ottomans- (1) because there are no sharp edges and (2) because we can use some more storage as we have six kids and no basement.

I'm feeling really drawn to white (I know, crazy, as I mentioned I have six kids) sheepskin rugs. I'd get two 6x8 and continue with the symmetrical look of the space.

Aside from the practicality of white with this many kids (they rarely use this room- there is no tv), am I crazy for wanting sheepskin in the subtropics? I really want to add some texture with so much smoothness (leather and travertine) and sheepskin seems to do this. I prefer the look of white, especially since this room needs to be lightened up artificially (there is one tiny window- even in the midst of Florida summer, this room gets no direct sunlight).

The other option would be a natural fiber rug like jute or seagrass. Originally I was going to put that in the tv room and didn't want to repeat, but I've since decided jute is too coarse for the tv/family room.

Also, because of the space, I basically need a 7' square rug and an 8x10. I can't have anything with an obvious pattern because of the way the rugs will be laid (not a lot of 7' square options, so I'd go with possible another 8x10, just oriented the other way so it'll fit). Two 6x8 sheepskins would give me adequate floor coverage.

HELP! Opinions please before I click buy.
August 8, 2013 at 4:53pm   
Nancy Walton
Have you looked at synthetic Flokati rugs?
August 8, 2013 at 6:32pm   
sunshinemama941
I did! I was really close to ordering two from the home decorators collection, but I was scared off by all of the reviews that said these rugs shed like crazy. My kids want a dog and they've been told they can only get one that doesn't shed- I can't have a rug that sheds! (we used to have a pug and he shed terribly- we'd find his hairs everywhere- even though he passed on over two years ago, I'm still finding his hairs)

So you think the look of fur is ok? I'm just afraid I'm committing a huge decorating faux pas (I'm from the northeast) being in the subtropics- but we have a fireplace too.
August 9, 2013 at 4:45am   
Nancy Walton
The only way to know for sure is to try it and see. Make sure the rugs are returnable if you decide you don't like the look.
August 9, 2013 at 9:11am     
More Discussions
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
carpet color
We are replacing the carpet in the bedroom. The walls...
What Colour Should I Paint My Bedroom?
I'm thinking about painting my bedroom soon and I don't...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.