Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
70's nightmare!! Please help!!
cajun2
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have no idea what I can do with this angled, full brick wall fireplace!We are planning on taking down the wall on the right, which opens up to a larger room. We are also planning on taking the beams down from the ceiling. I am just stumped on what can be done to this fireplace. It being part of an angled wall is making this so difficult. Suggestions please?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cajun2
A broader view
February 13, 2013 at 9:47am   
mfleck74
I've been doing some research on brick fireplaces myself as I have a bright red one that is really distracting. Seems like lots of people are whitewashing the fireplaces and even walls. You should google it and check it out. I'm attaching some pics I found.
February 13, 2013 at 10:00am     
shmeglyn
Paint it!! We did that with ours and it was gorgeous. An off white color with an expanded mantle would make this beautiful
February 13, 2013 at 10:01am     
cajun2
Yes that is one thing my husband and I said we should do, is whitewash the brick.
February 13, 2013 at 10:03am   
mfleck74
One other thing change the brass surround to black. Got that idea from this blog http://www.infarrantlycreative.net/2012/09/how-to-paint-a-brick-fireplace.html
February 13, 2013 at 10:05am     
cajun2
I also would like to replace the gold fireplace screen. I guess what really bothers me is the long bench hearth.
February 13, 2013 at 10:06am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would not paint it there is no going back once that is done. I would embrace the brick and use it as a design inspiration for the room. It would look great with contemporary furniture and accessories.
February 13, 2013 at 10:06am     
cajun2
Or painting the screen. Thank you mfleck74.
February 13, 2013 at 10:07am   
cajun2
That is the one thing that scares me about painting the brick, the fact that we cannot go back once it's done.
February 13, 2013 at 10:10am     
cypress
Personally, I don't find this fireplace a nightmare. As is, you could update it by removing the brass fire screen and updating the mantle. If you bring in more color in artwork above mantle and incorporate a colorful rug in front would improve the space. If you want to go with a lighter look, paint the entire wall and fireplace.
February 13, 2013 at 10:13am     
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
What I would suggest is drywalling over the one wall of brick that leads to the other room. I would have the hearth removed on that wall as well so that it is an actual drywall wall. You state that you will be removing the wall on the other side too. That will leave just the brick fireplace. I also like the other posters idea of whitewashing the brick. Just depends upon the look you are going for.
February 13, 2013 at 10:15am     
Jay Van Daley
Brick isn't as hard to remove as you may imagine. The fireplace itself may be brick tied into concrete and fire block, but the other brick areas could be removed and replaced with sheetrock. If you don't like the seat hearth, a demo saw and a sledgehammer will make short work of it, but once you're done, you will have to consider what you are going to do for a finish along what you removed. I used sheetrock, paint, granite, and wood to create a new look for our 70's nightmare fireplace. Unfortunately I don't have any before pictures, but believe me it was white brick hideous!
February 13, 2013 at 10:27am   
PRO
Kitchen Gallery
That is a great space! I love the architectural details and brick. Are you open to painting the brick, or do you want it all gone? If yes, then I would suggest, painting out the brick in a neutral colour, then you need to beef up that mantle - you could build out the entire facade with woodwork painted white or grey or something neutral if that's your aestetic. I think the Hearth would look great built-out in a great stone and then with some cushions on each side to make it look like additional seating. Good Luck!
February 13, 2013 at 11:06am     
hparks74

You might consider a plywood overlay since your doing midcentury.
February 13, 2013 at 11:18am   
PRO
Natural Stone Veneers International, Inc.
Stone over the top of the brick with natural thin veneer stone from NSVI. Here are some examples of angled solutions.
February 13, 2013 at 11:26am   
PRO
In this fireplace photo, though not in a corner, the beams worked really nice with the stone type and color:
February 13, 2013 at 11:29am   
cajun2
I am open to painting. How would I arrange cushions on the hearth? I was trying to think of ways to decorate the hearth. Also I was thinking of putting a cypress beam, or some type of wood in place of that mantel. My husband and I like a rustic country kind of look.
February 13, 2013 at 11:31am   
PRO
Sweetlake Interior Design
You can remove the hearth and replace the flooring. I would use a stone veneer on the center of the fire place all the way up with no mantel. Take the brick out from the angles and sheetrock it in. You can update the box by reducing the size to a more rectangular look with fire rated brick. The photo attached has had the same application done in a remodel that we recently completed.
February 13, 2013 at 11:33am     
PRO
It could also be modernized by applying a dimensional ledgestone over all areas of brick.
February 13, 2013 at 11:37am   
mcr426
I have to laugh because we had this exact same fireplace in our house! We painted it HC 26, which is a Benjamin Moore color that's the same as our walls. Spray paint the inside a solid black (make sure you get a high-heat resistant spray paint. Home Depot has it.) We also took out the very dated brass fireplace screen and set up a pretty iron firescreen that I found at a flea market and spray-painted black. If you paint the fireplace to match the walls, it will disappear, I promise!
February 13, 2013 at 11:44am   
cooney124
You can sheetrock over the brick that is bothering you and update the mantle and cover.
I like the whitewash idea too!
February 13, 2013 at 11:49am   
PRO
Sweetlake Interior Design
Any progress on the firewall ?
March 22, 2013 at 9:47pm   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I agree. Paint it.
March 22, 2013 at 9:58pm   
PRO
Here's an example of a newer product we call Bronze Drystack Ledgestone. It is on a flat wall, but because of it's squared off ends, and sawn heights, it installs very fast, and is much easier to work with for angle cuts. I can provide a close-up image if anyone's interested in seeing the texture and relative flatness compared to many natural stone products.
March 25, 2013 at 8:36am