Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
A completed look for a living room and dining room
dmundy1
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I don't know what to do to tie these two rooms together but I know I want the end result to have an old world feel. My dining room is shaker style but the living room is classic design. The walls are beige and the trim is dark brown. I would like to do something that still gives some light to the room
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
leelisa77
Add a splash of a color that can connect the rooms either in plants or decorative pieces, stay in one color family.
February 13, 2013 at 10:20am     
dmundy1
Thank you for the inspiration. It is kinda where I am going. We moved into a from a smaller house with separated rooms so nothing really matched. In the new house it really feels empty. I like the layout of the first picture.
February 13, 2013 at 10:24am   
dmundy1
Leelisa 77 I thought of that but I'm not sure what color to go with. I like reds but my mind is saying gold. Here is a closer picture of my chase.
February 13, 2013 at 10:30am   
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I would move your sofas a little closer together. They seem like they are too far apart. Also, I would add drapery panels to all the windows. I would swap out the chandelier in dining room and choose a different ceiling light fixture for the family room - the one that you have installed is too small for the room.
February 13, 2013 at 10:48am     
oneofeleven
t. Why don't you look for a rug for the living room with deco style and colour. This would give you the old world feeling. There's no contrast (that I can see) between your floor and the walls and tha rug will help provide punch and definition. Red is good, as it's warm and was used a lot in the deco period. Perhaps you could remove the four mirrors surrounding the television as they are not really reflecting anything that enhances the room. Again, you could look for some deco accents to put up on the wall instead. I agree with the change in the light fixture. The two above are both lovely choices. To tie the dining room in you could reupholster the chairs or put a cloth on the table or a runner. Your window coverings are nice but they don't give you an old world feel. Floor to ceiling panels would be the way to go.
February 13, 2013 at 11:07am     
dmundy1
LizaJane thanks for the suggestion. I do have new new ceiling fan for the Livingroom waiting for the hubby to install. He did the one upstairs and quit. Here's a look
February 13, 2013 at 11:16am   
dmundy1
Oneofeleven, I don't like the mirrors either. That's a temporary stall to stop anyone else from buying anything to put there. The problem is I don't know what to put there. I didn't even want a tv in that space. I have a lot of art that I purchased traveling that I feel nothing i have will fit the space. Any suggestions especially on the windows.
February 13, 2013 at 11:24am   
oneofeleven
I'm not the best person to suggest window treatments but I think you should address them first before you decide on what to put on the fireplace wall. How about some simple floor to ceiling panels You could tie them in (colour wise) with an area rug and some sofa pillows. . If you did that you probably won't want much on the wall as the curtains will take up some of that spacel. I think that your Balinese pictures would look nice on either side of the television ( assuming it has to stay) .The old world look often includes accessories from "around the world" so you may have other pieces of art you can use. I love the other piece of art as well, although I agree it's probably not suited to your livingroom. Kitchen maybe?
February 13, 2013 at 4:04pm     
More Discussions
Floor plan feedback?
My mom is planning to build a house to sell on a lot...
What colour to paint the outside of our new house
We have purchased the house pictured, the render needs...
mixing furniture in the bedroom
I need some advice on how to mix furniture. I do not...
Ugly Boring Exterior
We purchased this little home, quite charming on the...
replace tile with copper - pics of the existing tile counter
This are the pics of my counter that I want to replace...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.