Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My kitchen looks unfinished.
runaway03
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a new kitchen with a very open floor plan to the dining room and living room. I don't need a table in the kitchen space because the dining room is right there, and the kitchen area is only big enough for a 30" table, anyway. There's lots of counter space, but the lunch counter on the dining room side looks barren on the end. This is also very visible from the living room and front door of the house. My general decor is country/traditional. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
I would have a finish carpenter install some false cabinet doors/moulding to finish it off a bit.
February 13, 2013 at 10:11am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It looks like there may be room for an island. This could be done in painted cabinets to add color. Or it could look like a piece of furniture to tie in the living dining area.
February 13, 2013 at 10:11am     
Elise
Consider a metal or painted butcher block cart. Your kitchen is very neutral. More color in the way of fabric cushions on the seats and roman shades perhaps.
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/sundance-kitchen-cart/prod.jump?ppId=1e0e1d7&cmvc=JCP|dept20000011|cat100240016|cat100240110|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=¤tTabCatId=®Id=
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/antique-white-americana-kitchen-island/prod.jump?ppId=1e11d1d&catId=cat100240110&subcatId=cat100240016&deptId=dept20000011&Nao=48&pN=3&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null
February 13, 2013 at 10:34am   
winterriver
Swap the outlet with a brown one to blend better with the wood.
February 13, 2013 at 10:38am     
einportlandor
Your kitchen is great, you just need to put a bit more of your personality into it. if it were mine I'd jazz it up with color. I'd add bright dish towels and maybe a rug. How about some colorful cushions for the stools? Or curtains? I'd find a great jug for cooking utensils, a vintage platter for fruit and a big bowl for onions and garlic. Cookie jar? I might put a few little colored bottles or pitchers or vases on the window sill and keep fresh flowers in them. Or an African violet in a funky pot. You get the idea. Have some fun shopping your house, thrift stores, flea markets and antiques shops. Make it yours.
February 13, 2013 at 10:42am     
Michelle Espinosa
I agree some color would definitely bring the kitchen together. As for the breakfast bar, I recently saw this idea where you put a book shelf at the end.
February 13, 2013 at 10:52am     
fuzinav
I like Michelle's bookcase idea, but suggest that you keep the same height as the counter. A larger rug would add some color and help fill the space visually.
Where does the door go?
February 13, 2013 at 11:04am   
runaway03
To the laundry room / mud room / garage
February 13, 2013 at 11:11am   
runaway03
The open floor space between the cabinets is 8'x10'. It seems to me an island would make it awfully crowded, but one small enough would look lost floating in the middle. I had a tall cushioned barstool with a back on it sitting at the end of the counter for a while, but it made the whole area look like a chair factory. My living room has 3 very large bookcases in it - it looks more like a library - so I'm not sure if another bookcase would draw the rooms together or be overkill.
February 13, 2013 at 11:20am   
Dawn Hooks
Since you like country a large braided rug would be nice. This would add color to the floor and give you a better transition between the floor color an the cabinet color. Also try to add color on your counter. As suggested before. If you have enough room on your counter add a nice floral arrangement. Warning I have corballs under my island watch your knee's. It really hurts when you bump into them.
February 13, 2013 at 11:24am   
PRO
Design Find
Backsplash tile to add some interest? I think the layout is fine and wouldn't change it at all. As for the counter issue, some new stools or some cushions for the existing stools that add to that crisp, clean look that yoir door and trim give might look great.
February 13, 2013 at 11:49am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
February 13, 2013 at 11:55am   
fuzinav
You could use the small bookcase for colorful kitchen pieces instead of books. It would help you bring some color in without cluttering the counters. I was hoping that the door was interior and could be removed, oh well!
February 13, 2013 at 12:09pm     
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I'd definitely do a window treatment in the window. Either the shutter as mentioned above, or a pattern roman shade to add color. I like rugs in kitchens, so I 'd definitely suggest finding something for the floor. Then you can add something fun on the counter top. Maybe a vintage food scale, or ????? Chrysteen
February 13, 2013 at 12:17pm   
PRO
Terri Bennett Allied ASID/Periwinkle Interiors LLC
It looks like your cabinets are missing the shoe molding. This would dress up the cabinetr. The addition of color in some form and the softness of fabrics/textiles would also brighten the room.
February 13, 2013 at 12:25pm   
runaway03
What is shoe molding?
February 13, 2013 at 12:30pm   
AMN
See the diagram
February 13, 2013 at 12:34pm     
runaway03
There is, actually, a cream colored lace curtain in the window, with a vintage country look. There is more color in the room than the picture shows. There are a lot of iris blue accents, the walls in the laundry are painted light blue (the door is usually open, so they are visible), and my "good" china is on dsplay in an open hutch in the dining room, very visible from everywhere. It is deep red/pink and white - Mason's Vista pattern. Here is a view from a different angle.
February 13, 2013 at 12:44pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
A simple solution would be to install a towel bar at the end of the peninsula and add some pretty kitchen towels.
February 13, 2013 at 12:53pm   
hkuk
I like the blue in the dining room and would suggest you carry that through into the kitchen. Maybe put a blind with blueand yellow or a pemut in those colours. Also acessories such as cookie jars, utensils, tea towels. This will help tie it all together
February 13, 2013 at 12:59pm   
movethisnotthat
I'm glad you included the other picture of the dining space,Some ideas to tie the kitchen all together:
end panels on all tha cabinets that are plain right now. paint the little stools a different color, maybe even a distressed country blue. Braided rugs are very country so add one in the kitchen and replace the one under the table . A backsplash of creamie yellows or something with blue in it would be an added touch. Look for other country things you like and work them in... a lamp on the counter top, crocks filled with utensils, pails....old watering cans filled with plants. Glass jars. Move some of your dishes from the hutch and hang them (with plate hangers) under the the upper cabinets,or around the room, or use plate racks/holders to display them. The small pictures on either side of the hutch aren't helping much, maybe there is another place for them. Pretty towels, a tea kettle, will help too.
Do you have other collections of things.... like blue pitchers, "white" milkglass, silver spoons, colbot glass ???? Giving your kitchen your personality is all it really needs.
February 13, 2013 at 1:24pm   
cjohnston
I agree with Terri about the shoe molding. I've never seen a cabinet install without it -- your cabinets do appear unfinished as is. A tile backsplash incorporating the iris blue in your dining room would be a nice finishing touch as well - the one below reminds me of a country quilt. Also, it is not evident in your pictures what type of lighting is in your kitchen. Consider adding a hanging pendant above the sink that complements your dining chandelier. Or try something whimsical like punched tin. Elder Circle Renovation
Ann Sacks Tiempo La Spezia Terra Cotta Tile Transitional Heartwood Collection Mini Pendant Light Punched Tin Witch's Hat Pendant Light
February 13, 2013 at 1:34pm   
PRO
Rustica Hardware
A portable butcher block would look and function great in your kitchen. See: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-blocks/
February 14, 2013 at 7:54am   
More Discussions
Is this backsplash too busy?
We are in search for our new backsplash. Main goal...
What colour should we paint our pergola?
Hi everyone, We've just put a pergola on over our...
Niche Help!
The prior owners to the house had a niche placed in...
Ugliest fireplace on the block. Help!
Need design help with my tall walk around fireplace....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.