powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What architectural is my house and what will it be after remodel? Need direction on where to take interior
shead
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Attached is a photo of our home as well as the architect's rendering of changes we will make to exterior at some point in the future.

Right now, however, we are working on remodeling the interior and need to make decisions about window grid styles, door grid styles, interior doors, etc. and need to know what makes sense with the architectural style of the house.

I like certain things that would be considered "craftsman" or "bungalow" such as trimwork, wainscoting, and interior and exterior columns; however, I don't know if I want to be married to that particular style on everything and would like to know what acceptable combinations there are.

For instance, we are replacing all the windows and exterior doors and would like to go with 6 over 6 lite windows, but use 10 lite (full length glass) exterior patio doors and an 8 lite (3/4 length glass) front door. The window contractor also suggests using a 4 over 4 window grid style for our smaller windows (kitchen and bath) that will be similarly styled like the doors.

Do you think mixing these styles would be acceptable or will it look strange? Also, I've seen some windows that are 6 lite on top but gridless on the bottom...can those be mixed with any other styles?

Any help on classifying my design style would be great so that I have some direction....thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Craftsmen style will definitely look correct with the new look.
February 13, 2013 at 10:29am   
shead
Do you think mixing craftsman and traditional elements on the interior would be okay (as in raised two-panel doors with craftsman style moldings)?

Thanks!
February 13, 2013 at 1:30pm   
DIAspoton
i'd call it a raised ranch. you probably ought to talk with the architect about window choices. if you start changing details she/he drew up, it will impact the overall desired look. the architect could probably show you simple changes on the computer in minutes.
February 13, 2013 at 1:50pm   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like the symmetry of the home currently as it is. To me, you should put a few roof windows up there
Here are some ideas: http://www.cob.org/services/planning/historic/images/architectural-term-high-res.pdf
February 13, 2013 at 1:54pm   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
But I do like the idea of having less over hang in the roof because most women want a lot of natural light in a home. Not dark and shady.
February 13, 2013 at 1:55pm   
PRO
The Color People
I think either style for the windows would be fine. Use off white or white if you have to . Light windows make a house look open and airy. Dark windows close a house up. Also paint the porch posts and railings, beams and ceiling in a light trim color. It will give the porch a sense of space and brighten the whole house making it look inviting and convivial. Arts and crafts colors will go with the house nicely
February 13, 2013 at 2:16pm   
shead
Thanks, everyone!

We would probably leave the house as it was, BUT we ran into issues with our local septic department in our county because we are adding an additional bedroom which, long story short, means we have to move the front door to the left.

Also, currently, our front door enters into the middle of a large cathedral ceiling living room. By moving the door, it will allow us to create a foyer and have better furniture placement.

We have decided to stay with our original decision to have the 6 over 6 lite windows and use 4 over 4 lite for the smaller windows on the side of the house. This will maintain the architect's renderings.

But, my question still remains about the interior work. Is it okay to have a mixture of craftsman and traditional elements on the interior and it not look hodge-podgey? I want a cohesive feel on the interior.

We plan to have interior doors like these:
House 1

Rear exterior patio doors like these:
Atlanta Cape

Kitchen cabinets like these:
Capital Hill Residence

Wainscoting like this:
Candlelight Homes' Custom Home

Columns like these:
Anthony Street House

My husband says I'm over-analyzing and it will all look great.

Would still love some encouragement/advice, though :)
February 13, 2013 at 4:09pm   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Hi...the new facade is a mash up of what? Craftsman and Greek Revival? The portico is way off for the A&C movement...What are the specified exterior colors? Heavens above1 Tell me it's all white. Pseudo-Colonial accents with river rock and square columns. Absolutely love what you are thinking for the interior...it is sort of what happened to many Craftsman homes in the twenties...lightening all that dark oak with white paint, but keeping the clean lines and details.
February 13, 2013 at 4:19pm   
DIAspoton
there's nothing 'hodge-podgey' in the finishes you've chosen. it's going to be beautiful. keep us updated with photos.
February 13, 2013 at 4:55pm   
shead
I should add that our roof has already been replaced since that photo was taken to GAF Timberline Charcoal Black architectural shingles.

Ironwood, plans are to paint the brick a light color (either cream/beige or a greige color), white columns, black iron railing, stone veneer skirting, and a stone steps. The trim will remain white and the windows will be white.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm feeling much better about the direction we are headed. Yesterday, I was quite sure that our inability to replace all interior doors with solid wood two-panel doors (true craftsman doors) was going to doom our project....lol...since sadly, 18 of them at $400 a pop wasn't in the budget. We were hoping that the hollow core version of the ones shown above would be versatile enough to go with any style.
February 13, 2013 at 8:41pm   
mveasey
It is your home! If you like it and if it feels right to you, I would go for it. Mixing things up keeps a home interesting and not predictable. There are enough cookie cutter homes out there!
February 13, 2013 at 9:00pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I wish I could pay $400 for the doors I started with in my remodel (carpenter's house is like the shoemaker's children). Your doors will look great. Test drive an MDF door too. It may fit in the budget and not be hollow. This three panel door is available...maybe more arts and crafts than you are looking for...but the price is pretty good. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203403276&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1-4-_-NA-_-203403276-_-N#.URxvDeh5jw4

Personally, I hate Home Depot but that is a3068 solid core door for $100.00. Probably double that as a pre-hung unit in a jamb. Half of what you were talking about.

With the tasteful rooms you have picked already, I'm sure the exterior will look great too!
February 13, 2013 at 9:03pm     
More Discussions
My new house has a roundish living/family room
Hi, my new house has a round(isn) living room with...
Granite Counters
Hi All, we've chosen Alpine White for our kitchen counters....
STYLE OF HOUSE?? Needs curb appeal!
My son just bought this little house in Oklahoma. We...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
Need help with living room layout
Just moved into this place and need decor ideas for...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.