Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do in this small dining room?
prissy13
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please tell me what you would do different in this dining room. At this time, I can't change the carpet or wood window blinds...too much $$. But what would you do as far as tables, chairs, paint color, curtains or valances, small furniture, etc. If you look at my idea book under dining rooms you can see the styles I like. It tends to be cozy, farmhouse styles with a Parisian twist. This opens up to our kitchen which has light oak cabinets and gray granite counter tops. the space is 9 ft by 11.5 feet. and my current table is 60 inches long. Many thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cypress
Hello, first I would lower the chandelier, It is too high. Remove the 2 small tables flanking the window wall. The small pictures should be replaced with larger ones, not necessarily on both sides. Replace the sheer curtains with one large valance over the 3 windows that are together, and another on opposite window. I think your chairs would look great if they were painted black and had seat cushions with a pattern fabric.
February 13, 2013 at 10:47am     
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Hil. First thing I notice is the draperies are hung too low. If you want panels, I would do custom and hang them as high as you can. Also, on the bay window I would hang the panels on the very end only. You will probably need to get a custom drapery rod that angles. Will make the room feel much bigger. I would remove the two small tables on either side of window. My motto is "less is more". I like cypress' idea of painting the chairs black. Or, perhaps buying a round table and chairs.
February 13, 2013 at 10:59am     
PRO
Creative Interiors by Kim
I like the suggestions by cypress, I would also consider a round table. The chandelier is very nice but it should be approximately 30" above the table. If you go with the idea of replacing the sheers with a valance, mount it a minimum of 6" above the wood trim and take advantage of your ceiling height. Choose a fabric with rich color tones, black/reds/golds which would work better with the dark wood blinds and cozy, farmhouse look you're going for. Good Luck!
February 13, 2013 at 11:04am     
prissy13
thanks. I had actually posted a few weeks back asking if black chairs would go with my current table. The legs have a hunter green on them that throws it off. I want to get a new table but can't decide if it should be a rectangle or oval. I would also like it be be slightly bigger than the one i have now which is only 60 inches long and 32 inches wide. It is too small when we have people over. I like the looks of pottery barn, but it is out of my price range. How would I go about getting a custom valance for the bay window? And do you think instead of pictures in the nook area, what about frame-less mirrors? And would that area look too bare?
February 13, 2013 at 11:07am   
oneofeleven
I like most of the suggestions you've received so far. If you like something on Pottery Barn, you can probably find something similar on Craigslist that you could paint. It sometimes takes awhile but eventually the item you're looking for turns up. My suggestion for chair seat covers would be a black and white toile.
February 13, 2013 at 11:14am     
groveraxle
All great suggestions. I think what the room needs most is light. Can lights, track lights, cable lights, but mostly sunlight.
February 13, 2013 at 11:19am   
lessismoore
The photos are dark, so it appears as if the table legs were black. I like the idea of black chairs/table. If you are hoping to get a new one, you may want to paint all these first, just to see if you really like the black, while you are saving/looking for a new set.
It appears as if you had a black wrought iron etagere tucked in there. Maybe move that out into the dining area if not needed and fill with a few decorative pieces (I saw something like that in one of your inspiration pix)
Looking at this; the bay, the gray granite, your chandelier ... Have you considered black and white toile accents? Perhaps as curtains. For a farmhouse/Parisian "look" you could do cafe curtains.
February 13, 2013 at 11:27am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would actually recommend removing the curtains the space is so small I think it would make it feel bigger. However I would recommend a Mock Roman valance to really soften and finished up the look.
As for the doors I would go with a Roman shade in the same fabric to tie everything in really well.
February 13, 2013 at 11:42am     
February 13, 2013 at 12:01pm     
prissy13
Lessismore.... actually, that is a tall black wine rack. I have been meaning to replace it with a small wooden table with drawers. Just haven't found the right one yet. I do like the look of black and white toile. But this room also opens to my living room and the only black pieces I have are picture frames. Wouldn't my curtains in my living room have to match in color to the kitchen valance? My colors in the living room are lavenders, blues and creams.
February 13, 2013 at 1:09pm   
prissy13
so does everyone think a rectangle or oval shaped table is best?
February 13, 2013 at 1:17pm     
lessismoore
Hi Prissy - From the photos it looked as if the dining area was more off the kitchen and would open to your back yard - and that the kitchen was more open to the living room than the dining. Do you see the dining when you are in the living area? It seems, color wise, that your kitchen was white, with brown cabinets, and the gray granite so ... I thought you could transition into a more black/white/gray scheme for the dining area. However, the lavenders and blues from decoenthusiate are very pretty too. Hopefully, someone will chime in on that - whether you need to "match" or can go in another color direction.
If the black shelf is a wine holder ... I don't know that you could use that (though, wine is very, very French!) to hold anything else.
Oval vs. Rectangle - The only upside for practicality is that with an oval (with leaves) you can often have it just be a "round" for daily use without them. If you have a small space, a round table makes the most of it. If it has a pedestal base, you can often squeeze in 6, if needed. I find that for me, the biggest issue with seating has more to do with the base than the surface area :-).

I wish you had more wall in that area, so you could get a nice hutch side board combo. I have in my bathroom an old corner cupboard (formerly a built in in a dining room). I wonder if you have room for one? You can find these at "salvage" yards or antique stores.
February 13, 2013 at 2:45pm     
PRO
The Creative Man
First, lower the light fixture, too high up. If you changed the chairs or paint each one or all a color, maybe red. Or add a bench seating like others have suggested. I like the wood blinds. It's the curtains that need to be removed completely.
February 13, 2013 at 2:52pm   
kimjdenny
You could do dark brown instead of black for chairs - table. I had very similar natural and white set - and was so tired of it, and I painted bottom of table and left top natural wood and painted chairs same dark brown - looks great.
February 13, 2013 at 3:00pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Paint every part of the table except the top, and the chairs black..You will get a little more of the Pottery Barn feel. Look on line for ways to make a bay window valance..Try a tailored look, not gathered. I have made many of these. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-make-bay-window-valances#b
February 13, 2013 at 3:43pm     
prissy13
I will try to lower the light fixture. I'm not sure how much slack we left at the top. What do you think of this dining table with black chairs?
https://www.jossandmain.com/Finding-Home-Farmhouse-Dining-Table~FIND1022~E3288.html

Attached is a photo of my living room. My furniture layout and the color scheme has changed but it gives you an idea of the layout of the space.
February 13, 2013 at 3:43pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Regarding the Joss & Main table, it's too country for the rest of your house..look at the style in your living room. Simple transitional.
February 13, 2013 at 3:47pm   
prissy13
What about this table. Its selling on craigslist. I don't want the hutch, just the table and chairs. Its a light whitish. Would it totally contrast with the black light fixture?
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/fuo/3605515705.html
February 13, 2013 at 4:04pm   
nononanna
Round tables can be a little more flexible as to number of people sitting around it, since there aren't any corners. In you title you use the word small, but it looks a normal size to me.
February 13, 2013 at 4:05pm     
prissy13
nonananna...thanks, but I feel like it is very small to me. Its our only dining space since we have an open concept home. We have two young children so it always feel like we are running out of space :)
February 13, 2013 at 4:24pm   
Coco Nuts
I'd swop to a round table that extends to oval when entertaining,either black or white,paint the chairs to match. I'd paint the bay window wall a blue grey and add a 6" wooden frame around all the windows with a pediment top and paint it white.I 'd move the dining table nearer the window to give more flow from the door thru to the kitchen. Lower the light and change to either white or black shades. Remove the small pictures and replace with either longer bigger ones or ornate candle holders in white to contrast with the walls.Comfy button back armless chair beside side window and nothing at the door. The room could do with a plant.
February 13, 2013 at 4:41pm     
karmeg
I think you have the ideal set up for a banquette style bench ( nicely padded window seat ) expanding across the bay window. you the pull you table up to that and you instantly have a bigger dining area.
You place chairs only on the one side, and will probably have room for a chair on either end when the table is " backed up toward the widow.

I would swag your chandelier ( hook in ceiling ) so it is centered over the new position of the table.
The windows on the two ends are relatively narrow.

To create a more grand framework, I would hang a substantial looking rods UP HIGH ( 10 or more inches above the windows ) on ONLY THE TWO SIDE WINDOWS, having the rod just about the full width of the side wall the window is on ( wider than actual window ).
I would then hang a drape off to the left ( of window on left side ) and off to the right ( on right window ).
You hang the drape so it covers the wall and only the side frame of the window, creating the impression that the windows are wider and also not blocking any light.

Buy the drape full enough so it will actually cover the whole window/ side wall, and push it to the side, so a large portion of the decorative rod will be exposed on the window wall ( don't skimp on the rods )
This makes your dining room more dramatic and less kitchen like. IT CREATES A FRAMEWORK WHICH VISUALLY EXPANDS THE WHOLE WINDOW WALL.

If the budget allows, I would buy some nice woven shades or flat fold roman shades (in a light neutral )
FOR ALL THREE windows. NOT NECESSARY since you have blinds, just a decorative option.
Also, if the budget allows, I would buy an area rug to place under the table and chairs ( on top of carpet ) to further define and lend importance to the space.
Make sure the rug is big enough to accommodate chairs when they are pulled out.

I would also try removing the two tables ( to the left and right of the window ).
I think you might find that if you move your table back into the window more with a bench/window seat, you will be able to fit a larger table .
Where those tables are would actually be space to accommodate end chairs pulled out.

The pictures are a little too diminutive.
How about two substantial wall sconces ( electrified - not candle ) to the left and right.
This makes the view of the entire back wall totally symmetrical, which also creates a more formal feeling ( dining room vs. eat in kitchen )

GOOD LUCK and have fun !
February 13, 2013 at 4:59pm     
prissy13
Karmeg....could you post a picture of the window look you are talking about? It sounds interesting but not sure i am understanding the whole concept. My whole dining and kitchen area are white. Should i paint just the bay window wall a color and the rest an off white or eggshell?
February 13, 2013 at 9:55pm   
nononanna
It's true that you have several small things sitting around the space - table with lamp, etc. that take up visual space without offering much storage or help. Fewer items, but larger will work hard and not take up any more space in the end.

The banquette idea could be fun and good looking - the only problem is they aren't flexible either in where they're located or how many people they accommodate. But it would be cure under the window.

What piece of furniture is in the left of the first picture? Is that part of the bar from the kitchen?
February 14, 2013 at 12:45am   
karmeg
HI, I will try to find a picture for you in the next few days.
I would not paint the one wall at this point in time.
You are correct in that color would also lead the eye to add drama to the dining area, but sometimes it will just visually chop up a space..
You have a large window to the left and a door to the right (all windows and door are different sizes ) and the idea is to keep the look as cohesive ( think serene backdrop ) and integrated as possible.
Framing the two side windows with a drape will draw the eye enough and make the table area a focal point.
Color will come in your fabric choice, your table setting, chair pads or painted chairs ' etc.
If you do choose to add color to the walls, I would do the whole kitchen and dining area the same wall color. ( and again, the contrast will come I the window treatment )
Just for the purpose of visualization, imagine all the windows ( door and windows ) with pale taupe flat-fold shades,. Even if you don't do curtain panels right away, this would create subtle contrast with the walls.
Step two would be to hang curtain panels that are deeper in color ( you could choose a geometric print that picks up on the living room colors.
It looks like you have blue / taupe/ brown and navy ( pillows ).
You could pick up on the navy and cream for a curtain pattern, and choose a third color for accent pieces ( smaller doses ) such as any shad of orange.
There will be a follow to the rooms without all colors being exactly the same.
I would definitely add some wall lighting on either side of the window.
That will create more dining room drama in the evening.,
A few shiny accessories would also be nice.
(Sconce metal/ candlesticks, etc. ) LIke finishing an outfit with some well chosen jewelry !
February 14, 2013 at 3:21am   
karmeg
For a little clarity regarding the window treatments, check out calico owners.com
Go to image gallery and then click on window treatments.
Scroll down and notice the substantial curtain rods and how they are hung higher than the window frame (you can actually go higher tan in these pictures ).

NOW, JUST IMAGINE THAT YOU ONLY HAVE ONE PANEL ON EACH WINDOW, PUSHED TO THE SIDE SO MOST OF THE WINDOW IS EXPOSED.
BY sizing your rod to the size of the wall the window is on (as opposed to just the width of the window )
It allows enough " rod space " to push your curtains to the end of the wall and just covering a couple of inches of the side of the window. It makes the wall and windows feel bigger .

What I would also do is hang something centered over the center window high enough so that there is a visual plane created by the side windows and the decoration.

For example, a more traditional style would be to hang three plates over the center window so you have an imaginary line forming across the top of the side windows and plates ( so where your eye is drawn is equall across all windows, and the center window doesn't seem dwarfed.
A more contemporary look might be a line of " wall expression decal " or a horizontal canvas with words.

Hope this helps !
I wil continue to try to locate a visual for you.
February 14, 2013 at 4:17am     
prissy13
Think i am getting the idea. So remove the rod above the center window. Add two smaller (maybe thick wood rods) over the wall space where the narrow windows are. Then hang the drapes and let them cover the empty wall space next to the narrow blinds to make it look like those narrow windows are wider? Is that the idea? And add the center space visual along the top of the center window, right. Then do i add the same pattern drape over the window on the other wall?
February 14, 2013 at 6:58am   
prissy13
sort of like this but without the center rods and drapes, and only one drape on the smaller rod.
February 14, 2013 at 7:10am   
PRO
Carey & Co
Since this dining area is small and has traffic from the back door I think that less is more. Change out the chandelier to something more modern and fun plus lower to make it a focal point. I agree that the small frames and accessories should be replaced with larger, fewer, bold colored pieces - DIY with ideas from Pinterest. Instead of drapes or curtains, simple, tailored valances 16" -18" long in a substantial textured fabric over the windows and existing blinds. Hanging them high but covering the top of the window and blind valance would make the windows appear taller. I've made these myself with 1"x 4"s, a staple gun and metal "L" brackets - you don't even have to sew! Then use the same fabric on the door in a roman shade. A round table would definitely work better here and it might be fun to paint the chairs a contrasting bright color with cushions from the valance fabric to tie it all together. You will probably need 2 more chairs for guests - check your local Craigslist for a round table that you could paint and some chairs that will compliment your existing ones. Denise Carey, ASID
February 14, 2013 at 7:57am   
nononanna
Painting the chairs is a good idea - The windsors are great, but a little country, so a bold color will mix it up a little. If you get two more, maybe you could get two that are a little diferent than the others? I don't know, just an idea.
February 14, 2013 at 8:57am   
nononanna
Oh and personally I don't think the chandelier is bad - should be lower, and maybe brighter little shades, but in general, I wouldn't change it until you see something you can't live without.
February 14, 2013 at 8:59am     
prissy13
My chandelier is from Pottery Barn something i loved for a long time and finally bought (on sale). So its not going anywhere. But i might lighten up the shades and definitely lower it.
February 14, 2013 at 9:22am     
Cornelius Vanderheide
HELLO, WAY BACK, SOMEONE SUGGESTED BAY WINDOW CURTAIN RODS. yOU CAN GET THEM INEXPENSIVELY AT J.C. PENNYS. LOVE THESE AND ARE EASY FOR EVEN A WOMAN TO PUT UP.
February 14, 2013 at 9:30am     
karmeg
Yes, you have the idea exactly.
You don't have to use wooden rods, you can choose thick silver, or burnished bronze,etc ( like what you would see in Pottery Barn).
I don't know that I would do the side window because it might weigh the room down too much on one side and detract from the symmetry of the back wall ( as a focal point )
If you have all the same shades ( or it looks like you have wooden blinds ) on all the windows, that is a cohesive look and just the MAIN window ( bay ) is "dressed and stands alone. I would put the same treatment ( shades or blinds ) on the glass door. That is part of the finished room.
Also, it looks as if you have a black board and some things near the left window, and you don't want to confuse or over fill the area with drapes.
February 14, 2013 at 5:09pm   
karmeg
Also, I don't know I'd someone else suggested it, but you might want to try a round table that has a leaf to extend to an oval when you need it.
February 14, 2013 at 5:11pm   
karmeg
Sorry, I just noticed that when I sent you the note to check calico corners web site the computer auto corrected and changed it to calico owners.
Hope you founded what I was talking about without too much trouble !
February 14, 2013 at 5:15pm   
prissy13
Need help. Found this table selling on Craigslist. Do you think this black would look good in my space? And what color chairs would you do? Thanks. Want to react quickly since it might go.
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/fuo/3632105856.html
February 20, 2013 at 10:49pm   
karmeg
MY initial instinct is not to get the black table.
It has " visual " weight and might be too heavy looking in your space.
THere are ways to make it work,but I think it might over complicate the process for you.
Keep the same feeling going that you have in your living room space.
The black farmhouse table is a little too country I think.
Don!t rush for a good bargain unless you reallly think it is perfect.
My advice is to take your time and make it a space you will love.
February 21, 2013 at 4:15am     
PRO
Carey & Co
I agree with the above comment. Everyone liked the idea of a round table which would seat six more comfortably in your space. I also like the photo someone attached that had white legs and a wood top. I like the different chairs in this photo painted a light color - something that compliments your family room. This is different than my initial comment but now I think a lighter color works better with your chandelier to complete the look you seem to like.
February 21, 2013 at 6:55am     
nononanna
The one you have is as good as this - I would only change for something WAY better.
February 21, 2013 at 8:03am   
prissy13
Thanks for your quick feedback. I really do like that oval pedestal table look in white with blue chairs and should just wait for that. I guess i was thinking that since i have two young kids and our table sees alot of action, that a white would get messed up easily. Oh, what to do. I wonder if i got a glass top for the table if that would look ok. My kids do their homework, art projects and eat, very messily on our current dining table but its held up very well.
February 21, 2013 at 8:44am   
PRO
Carey & Co
I was only commenting on the chairs from this photo. Although, I do really like the idea of the shelves in those corners which I think would look fabulous in your dining room.
February 21, 2013 at 8:47am   
PRO
Carey & Co
I really like the other table in the photo above - it has white legs but a distressed wood top which would accommodate a busy family. Marine varnish as maintenance might be a good idea there. My granddaughter and I do lots of art projects on our glass kitchen table and it does clean up easily but tends to scratch even though it is tempered glass. I've had it for years though and it's seen lots of wear from my two kids. I would use a thin glass if you decide to do that - never seen that done on a kitchen table though - it might collect "stuff" under the edges that would be hard to clean.
February 21, 2013 at 8:55am   
prissy13
Yes, i like those shelves too. Where to find them though.
February 21, 2013 at 8:57am   
PRO
Carey & Co
I found this one at IKEA in white that you could distress or glaze yourself or even leave as is. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50217653/#/30217654
Also, I checked square shelving units on Google and looked at the images - lots of different choices there - some metal ones that looked interesting, too.
February 21, 2013 at 10:24am     
prissy13
I really like this table, but am trying to look for something less expensive, since I would have to buy 6 chairs as well. http://www.wayfair.com/Riverside-Furniture-Coventry-Dining-Table-32551-32553-RVF4918.html

And I like these shelves two. Would you recommend one on each corner, or just on the wall side? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60176303/
February 21, 2013 at 12:30pm   
PRO
Carey & Co
I don't think you have to purchase 6 chairs! The chairs with this table look fairly large anyway. Use the ones you have and get two more that match each other and paint them all the same color - I'm thinking garage sale/flea market finds. I think two shelves would work great - one at each corner. Have fun.
February 21, 2013 at 2:03pm     
karmeg
Yes, I agree with Carey and CO.
Purchase two chairs for the " ends ".
Have you ever checked out flea markets or " antique " ( I use that term loosely ) stores for chairs ?
You would be shocked at what you save and what you can do.
If you need to keep the table you have, for now, I would also lighten the leg color.
Just a subtle beige/ honey color ( close to the color of the top ) will make the legs less prominent and you can paint chairs any color you want.
Don't forget the use of fabric (softens all the hard edges ).
ANOTHER OPTION :You could get relatively inexpensive upholstered end chairs ( stores like Home Goods ), and very inexpensive slipcovers ( if needed ) and just paint the chairs you have.
It is more interesting and more rewarding when you let a room evolve and resist the temptation to " get it done " . That is what makes a house your own.
Live with and enjoy each change you make, with an eye toward your next step.
The process is ultimately a lot more satisfying, and less sterile.
February 21, 2013 at 3:56pm     
SweetDreen
I've painted a desk with chalk paint it worked great for me. You don't have to sand or prime. You could paint your table and chairs with that until you find the perfect one.
February 21, 2013 at 4:16pm   
PRO
Carey & Co
Totally agree with karmeg! This is a home not a house. Good idea on your existing table as well!
February 21, 2013 at 4:16pm     
oneofeleven
Here is a link to Annie Sloan, chalk paint. I just bought some today and she makes paints in the colours that you like . She also sells a clear wax that makes the surface very durable. Just take your time and keep looking for that "previously used" table and some quirky mismatched chairs. Keep us posted please and thank you.
http://www.anniesloanunfolded.com/inspiration
February 21, 2013 at 4:30pm     
prissy13
Can i really just paint without sanding or priming? I like the idea but hate the idea of sanding. I sanded down that small blue table in the corner with the lamp on it and painted it blue. It used to look like the one n the other side. But never finished the sealing process, because the whole thing took me so long and the table was so small. Have thought about painting the dining table and chairs before but then thought back to how much work was involved. So if it really is that easy, will give it a try. And yes I agree about the evolving process. I just see these pretty pictures and think how i want that look but get overwhelmed with the process. If i painted the legs antique white, what color would i paint the chairs?
February 21, 2013 at 4:30pm   
karmeg
A tip.
You can give a quick, light sanding to the table legs, and buy rustoleum spray paint for the legs.
Just take the table outside, and protect the top.
Goes very quickly,makes the existing table work for now and costs practically nothing.
February 21, 2013 at 4:42pm   
PRO
Carey & Co
I've seen numerous posts on Pinterest about the no sanding process. Love that idea myself as I've been in the same position you have many times. I feel your pain. I have a chest of drawers I've used for most of my married life (38 years - recently bought new ones) and an antique trunk that I tried to refinish - still not not finished. Why not purchase a small amount in a color you might like (something that looks good with your living room area) and try it out on a sample? Something easy that you don't care about if it doesn't work out.
February 21, 2013 at 4:43pm   
oneofeleven
I just found this post and it seems to apply here

February 21, 2013 at 4:54pm   
oneofeleven
The Annie Sloan paint is not cheap but you really do not have to sand (only the spots where you would like some distressing, after you've painted) The shop where I bought my paint had several pieces of furniture that had been painted and they all looked great, just like the furniture in your "inspiration" photo. The retailer will give you any advice you need and instructions on how to use it. You can buy sample cans that will probably do a small chair (why not start there and see what you think?)
February 21, 2013 at 4:59pm     
PRO
Soring Interiors
A round table is best for this area. You can shop at the salvation army. On their half off days you can get a table and chairs set for 150.00 or less 75.00 . I have painted and sanded many items from these places. I call them rustic Lux. they are one of a kind and you can make them any color you choose. add two different chairs and you have an interesting mix. You could add a thin sofa tabke next to the back window for holding food ect. coordinate it with the colors of your table set. You can get beautiful panels for your windows at Ross or Homegoods. I have to work within tight budgets at times and these are some thing to do to make it look more expensive tha it is. Don't forget the Paint. It'the cheepest way to change the look of a room. Go for it. pamela@soringinteriors.com
February 21, 2013 at 5:24pm   
cyn222
List your table and find a new one that will match with the bar chairs. Spray black or other neutral color. Lower lighting. Remove small pieces as they only tend to clutter up a room. Remove sheer curtains and use a more modern print fabric if anything. If not alot of sun comes in that room, leave them without coverings.
February 21, 2013 at 5:32pm   
qhayes11
change the chairs to parsons, remove the vase off the table and put 2 black candle holders. get heavy brown pattern curtains with shades of orange brown gold. paint that blue table lack, replace the curtain on the door with a red curtain
February 21, 2013 at 5:55pm   
lessismoore
what about blue for the chairs?
February 21, 2013 at 10:27pm     
nononanna
I have not used Mixwax Polyshades, but they swear you don't need to sand. It doesn't come in bright colors, just various wood colors and black, but they also make a cream paint that comes in lots of colors- even bright ones- and apparently is the same- no sanding.
February 22, 2013 at 8:59am   
prissy13
Less is more....you mean painting my existing chairs blue?
February 22, 2013 at 9:14am   
julie77777
Denise Carey - Can you explain or direct us to more info re: creating valances without sewing?? Thank you.
February 22, 2013 at 9:53am   
lessismoore
I would be tempted to "mix it up" and paint at least 2 of your chairs blue (and I would be tempted to vary the shades of blue too! Some darker, some lighter) You have the pretty blue drapes in your LR as a "tone" starting point. I like the image posted with the variety of blue chairs and the white table. You could find some other chairs to mix and match in there too for a total of 4 or 6. Thrift/craigs list/garage sale finds. The right colors will pull it all together.
February 22, 2013 at 12:06pm   
PRO
Carey & Co
Julie77777 - I have a quick sketch I did for a student of mine - hope this helps. You can also put pleats at the center and corners.
February 22, 2013 at 5:11pm   
julie77777
Denise Carey - thank you! sorry, I don't know how to get to the sketch? Rather new to this site....
February 23, 2013 at 1:24pm   
PRO
Carey & Co
Whoops - I didn't realize you can't upload a pdf so I re-scanned it as a photo. Here you go.
February 23, 2013 at 1:44pm     
julie77777
Denise -- Thank you so much! How neat!!
February 23, 2013 at 7:44pm   
curacaoblue
Wow, love the comment "easy even for a woman to put up". I LOL because this woman handles all of the power tools in our home.

But back to the topic on hand.... Removing the small tables and lowering the chandelier is a great starting point. I would not do one valance. I think painting the chairs (or part of them) to match the table legs would be a good idea too. I don't think you need a second rug either. Less is more is the key here.
February 23, 2013 at 7:53pm   
prissy13
What do you think of this banquette bench with this oval white table for my dining area? Since the original post, I have taken down all accessories and side tables as suggested by others. I am also buying drapes and rods to hang on the ends of the narrow windows, to create a more dramatic window frame and not block any light. I also lowered my light fixture as low as i could (ran out of wire). So it is now approx. 32 inches above the table. The table is from Pier 1 and also comes in black and a very dark brown.
March 20, 2013 at 1:37pm   
lessismoore
Hi! It's been awhile. What drapes have you chosen? The table pix looks great, does it have a leaf option? Some do, some don't. On the either ... if you go with the white table, and the gray (?) banquet, the banquet has those dark legs. Where is it from? Looking forward to more pictures of your room with of the new drapes to inspire us :-)
March 20, 2013 at 2:18pm     
nononanna
I've always liked the idea of the banquette around a table to make it more of a sitting area as well. Are you thinking of puttig it on the side in front of the window?
March 20, 2013 at 2:48pm     
prissy13
The banquette is from Cost Plus World Market is a purplish grey and would go in front of the bay window. Then i would pull the white table closer to the window, as it is larger than my current table. The table is round and has a center leaf to make it oval. I have been trying out different drapes, so not settled on a specific one yet. But love the look of pushing the drapes to the side to let in the light. Looks more dramatic.
March 20, 2013 at 3:34pm     
nononanna
I think it could be lovely. Does the color work with everything else or are you starting from scratch?
March 20, 2013 at 3:37pm   
prissy13
Well, the white table is something I am considering. I have dark brown bar stools on the other end of my island area that are on my living room side.
March 20, 2013 at 5:27pm   
More Discussions
Design ideas for living with LOTS of cats
We are thinking of having a house built for ourselves...
Cocktail Table Search
Where can I find a table similar to this one? Square...
Unfinished living room
Is a shame to say this but for some reason or another...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Help!! Pretty please. I need lots of ideas.
I was given a couple ideas but still unsure if we should...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.