Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Looking for a solution to a long narrow living room
norcallian
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am hoping to get some help with a layout for my rectangular living room. The long wall is about 20 feet long and the short wall 14 feet. Along one of the long walls is floor to ceiling windows and the front door. Along the other is a fireplace with the TV above it. A floorplan is attached.

I wanted to place the TV on the short wall, however I think the furniture arrangement would be too awkward. I am currently thinking about leaving the TV on the fireplace and changing the fireplace to integrate the TV better, similar to this:
Family Room

But if I do this, I am concerned with wasted space behind the smaller couch (the pinball is there now but will be moved to a game room). Any ideas? Should I keep the TV above the fireplace or move it to another place. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
If you're keeping the TV put it somewhere else. It is too large for the FP. If you redo the FP the TV is still too large for the room. The only place it would work will get all the through traffic, and that is the niche Second issue is the vertical blinds. What do the windows look like? You need to find a treatment that works with them.
February 13, 2013 at 4:37PM   
onthefence
Based on your FP photo (#4) you have our living room. OK, our FP is a little wider and where you have the slider we have a 9' window.

Our set up is pretty much as you've pictured in #3 only the TV is on the short wall to the right of the FP.
February 13, 2013 at 4:50PM   
norcallian
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am beginning to agree that the TV is too big. I have attached a picture of the windows.
February 13, 2013 at 4:51PM   
libradesigneye
Put the tv on the wall to the right of the front door centered closer to the fireplace than the door. Get a shallow console / sofa table to hold all the components and speakers below, and add baskets and a coat rack right by the entry to catch peoples stuff as they come and go.

Put the big couch at end of room with end tables at each side (too small for coffee) and little couch across from /centered in front of the fireplace. Buy one swivel egg chair at IKEA and put it near the fireplace across from the big sofa - turn it around on game days. Add a big round coffee table to help flow, and stack some big floor pillows under it to pull out when you have a crowd.
February 13, 2013 at 4:51PM   
decoenthusiaste
Just saw your additional picture of the windows today. It is quite an expanse. Here's what I would do.
Use 4 drapery panels and 3 woven or fabric roman shades. The panels cover the framing of the three windows and the shades give you the privacy. Here's an idea of what I mean. With such a large TV, do you have bigger space that can become a media room? You mentioned a game room. Is that bigger than the living area and can you do a combo media/game space there? You might post some pictures of the game room and see if we can generate a plan for it. Hollywood Residence
Aspen House
February 17, 2013 at 5:54AM   
jakelee8
Thin coffee table
February 17, 2013 at 6:00AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Ripplefold Sheers or drapery would look modern and more up to date .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
February 17, 2013 at 6:36AM