Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ground floor layout utility or no utility
Shivani Magdani
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, We are renovating our home and now the builder is asking for the ground floor plan to be finalised. Very Stressful!
1. Should we put a wall between the lounge and the kitchen diner or leave it open with bifolding glass french doors? (this doors mean we cant put anything either side of this wall)
2.should we cut off a section for the utility room (although useful this changes the open plan structure and means the entrance to the kitchen diner is not at the end of the hall way)
3.should we leave the utility out and have a kitchen along the whole side of the house (6.5m which is also plenty of storage).
4.should we scrap what we have at the moment and change the layout completely?
Please factor in we need to fit in a dining table and a decent size sofa and TV!
As mentioned we are really struggling and help would be appreciated. Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Prairie Point Interiors Inc
I like the option without the utility closet but I am not sure why you are leaving the door going through to the kitchen. Cant you open it up, so you can see from the front to the back? I am guessing there are structural issues carring the upstairs in that area. Still if so even if you can just not have the door and just an opening as wide as you can. Hope you have fun with your project
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:18PM
lesliemahler
What about taking out the walls all around the lounge? The hall seems like it chops everything up. You would gain an open floor plan and could even build additional storage or a desk under the stairs. If you need a little separation for the entryway you could build a short half wall between the door area and the lounge. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:23PM
thislittlehouse
I think it would be better to have access to the utility room from the kitchen.

As it is, the end of your hallway will just be dead space for doors to open into! Extend the utility space into the hallway so it is a full square up to the lounge/dining wall. Have access from the kitchen where the fridge is currently.

This will mean that you will need to put the French doors in the Lounge room wall. This is not a bad thing. (although you could leave one door into the larger utility from the hallway - like a butler's pantry)
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:14PM
Shivani Magdani
so we are definately getting frenchdoors to divide the living and Kitchen/Diner. I still want a utility and my husband does not. If anyone has any further options we could consider so I can get a utility area without closing off the space that would be great.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:01AM