Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Design for long narrow basement family room
Deb Welch
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking for some help with our basement. We have new: doors, slate floor, walls, windows and have removed popcorn ceilings and added crown molding. Now we need some design advice. We want to keep the antique mantle and will need to keep the leather furniture for now. We would consider moving the TV to the opposite side of the room into an entertainment center that would cover that entire wall. I'd also like a small beverage unit somewhere. The room is very narrow at 13 feet wide and is 23 feet long. The windows are on the south side and we do have a beautiful pond and yard in the summer so I'd like to keep that view as open as possible. The blinds worked well to keep out light for video game play, but would like to upgrade to something different now that the kids are off to college. We would like some suggestions on "softening" the room with curtains, rugs etc. The slate flooring has a lot of brown, green, and gold, with some rust or red here and there. The picture with the 2 sets of panel doors is at the landing of the stairs. It's about 4 1/2 ft by 5 ft and we need access through one set of doors as this is a small workroom for my husband. Right now it's empty but would like suggestions as to what might work there. We have a rather "collected, eclectic, style" and enjoy flea markets and antique shopping. We also share our home with two dogs - hence the leather furniture so we need a room we can live in and enjoy not just a room that looks pretty. Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
carole
love it!!agree you should move the tv away from this corner and let the fireplace be the focalpoint.i would go for a green color and red accents
February 13, 2013 at 2:11pm   
cinderellaslipper
I am in South Wales , U.K. and we love our slate floors, I immediately thought of Welsh Cottage style, quilts, Welsh Tapestries, bold mixes of rich colours, the tartan seating suggested by Carole could be the cue for throws in a similar fabric, & pillows...I think you could find some accent wall paper which would give a contemporary feel, yet echo traditional styles, Laura Ashley wallpapers and fabrics have a great selection..
April 2, 2014 at 2:00pm      Thanked by Deb Welch
PRO
flair lighting
everything you have is lovely, but everything is a wood tone. there are no splashes of color. you have great taste and good esthetics just need some color!!!! navy blue, greens, teals...... Also i would get some longer more traditional wall sconces, and i would move tvl.
April 2, 2014 at 2:41pm      Thanked by Deb Welch
alisonheppell
Pale silvery blue on walls etc
April 2, 2014 at 2:48pm      Thanked by Deb Welch