Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with a large family room
The Deck Store
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a big room, 16' x 27'. We have no idea how to make it look comfortable. Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Just pull the two couches closer together and the chair between both of them. But the one element that will make it more comfortable and cozy is definitely a rug!
February 13, 2013 at 3:29pm     
decoenthusiaste
Try the sofas in an "L" with front feet on a colorful large area rug. Angle the chair in front of the window. Look for a sofa table to put behind the sofa that faces the FP or under the art, which you'll need to lower. Should be 5-8" above whatever piece it hangs over.
February 13, 2013 at 3:45pm     
PRO
The Deck Store
Thanks for the suggestions.
February 13, 2013 at 6:03pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Add a large colorful rug. Leave the sofas where they are if they are working for you. The chair should be angled into the room not squared to it. Under each round window, place a pair of matching, shelves, tables, cabinets would be best. Place a few larger, interesting objects on them. Hang a pair of neutral drapery panels (95/96" long) high and off the sides of the window for softness in the room. Lastly, your artwork needs to be larger, more bold. If you keep the piece above the sofa, it should have a large frame, then add a pair of matching items to the sides of it to bulk up the huge blank wall. Add other large art to the sides of the window wall. Also, replace end table lamps with taller, thicker lamps. Choose colors from the rug to use for pillows on your sofas.
February 14, 2013 at 7:19am     
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I would face one of the sofas to the fireplace and keep the other one on the right (L shaped) I would move the chair with it back facing the fireplace wall at an angle looking at the sofas. You also need a rug to ground the space and add some color/pattern. Remove all of the bits and pieces you have on the mantle. maybe have one green plant in the corner of the mantle.
February 14, 2013 at 7:25am     
PRO
JWinteriors
With the idea of "L" shaping your sofas, find a sofa table that can double as a writing desk. Add a chair, and you have a spot for laptop, lighting, bill writing, homework. Maybe trade out chair for one that coordinates and has an ottoman. On an angle by the fireplace, it becomes your favorite reading corner. When guest come over split them up for added seating. Rug gives color and warmth for the feet while anchoring the area. Drapes bring the eye up to the ceiling while giving a cosy feel and softness to the room. Enjoy!
February 14, 2013 at 7:34am