Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen help
kimlitke
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am replacing my countertops with granite and can't decide if white or dark granite would look best? Thoughts?
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
DIAspoton
white. dark would be too heavy with your cabinets and floor since your walls in the kitchen and adjoining rooms are a light, cool color.
February 13, 2013 at 2:01pm   
PRO
Chambers
Here's the problem with soliciting comments: I say dark. It will give a strong horizontal around the room, which is both calming and tends to visually expand a space. It'll also be striking with the wood cabinets and the more contemporary feel of your room. If you use something with a touch of gold in it it'll also relate to the floor, which doesn't seem to visually relate to the current counters. Definitely dark!
February 13, 2013 at 2:08pm   
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
My choice would besome thing like Giallo capela Granite Slab . It would have a good contrast with your cabinet and flooring
February 13, 2013 at 2:11pm   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Let me throw in another wrench. I don't care for white so I always try to find a mid-tone granite when the cabinetry is dark. An exception to that is that we do use Giallo Ornamental frequently when we can find a bundle with brown tones in it instead of golds.
February 13, 2013 at 2:17pm   
cohoek
To be completely honest I think de combination of wall color and cabinets and floor is your problem \, not the color of the countertops. Or the colors don't come over well, the floor and cabinets look a bit dirty together. I would first tackle this problem before deciding on the counter tops. I do like the wall color but I think it doesn't do the cabinets any good. I might think about changing the floor if you want to keep the wall color, I think the floor is too bruinish. Anyone think the same?
February 13, 2013 at 3:05pm     
DIAspoton
yes , the floor was the first thing i noticed. it photographs as dirty and dated.it would be the first thing i'd change. that wasn't the question so i didn't mention it earlier.
February 13, 2013 at 3:44pm     
hopesilver
I agree, the floor is the problem. Its dingy yellow ish..and you have grey walls. Doesn't work. I'd put n wood floors to match the cabinets, and metal counters to go with the appliances, if you want a kitchen
to look perfect. Too much going on and the counters will not help the problem, although I dislike granite. Its over used and becomes dated.
February 13, 2013 at 3:54pm