Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my new living room.
lisamzeigler
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help! Need ideas with this huge wall fireplace. One wall has a 12 foot window and the other is a large entryway. Help with furniture placement and fireplace ideas
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lizabeth
You could rip up the carpet and hope to find hardwood underneath which would make your life and that room much nicer and/or paint the brick or reface it with slate to give it an uptempo feel and.or build bookcases on either side to give a better feel. Given the arch in the room, that era of home often had hardwood floors.
February 13, 2013 at 4:31pm     
decoenthusiaste
Is this your furniture and is the FP decor your style?
February 13, 2013 at 4:31pm     
AMN
Also, could you please provide width dimension of the living room?
February 13, 2013 at 4:33pm     
nmgiorgi
Is that all you have for furniture? Or are you planning to buy more once you have a plan
February 13, 2013 at 4:49pm   
wildgeese
We just painted our brick and mantle white and it came out beautiful - instantly updated and freshened it. Also, consider placing your tv above the mantle; it will really maximize your space. You could then face the couch to the fireplace/tv. It looks like a sectional might be the way to go - along the wall and floating out towards the window. You could place a console table behind it which would look pretty from the foyer.
February 13, 2013 at 4:59pm   
calidesign
I would center a sofa on the wall across from the large window, with another sofa or two chairs and side table under the window facing the sofa. Get a narrow coffee table to put in front of the sofa, which still leaves you room to get to the fireplace. Then put two chairs grouped in front of, and facing, the fireplace. Maybe chairs that swivel so they could be used separately or as part of the main grouping. It looks like you also have lighting issues. Add two tall floor lamps, or one floor and one table lamp on either end of the sofa. Adding built ins to your fireplace wall to accommodate the tv would make a better arrangement if it is in your budget.
February 13, 2013 at 5:02pm   
PRO
Distinct Designs - Jeanette Pierce, ASID
I would start by painting the fireplace brick a neutral color. I would use that same color and paint the 2 small doors within the brick fireplace as well. I would keep the wood mantel as is. Hang your TV above the mantel. Remove the 2 sconces above the mantel. Depending on the size of your TV you may want to add some new sconces. If you are going to be buying furniture, purchase a "L" shaped sectional. Place is along your solid wall and bring it into the room. Place a sofa table along the side you see when you enter the room. Make the sectional a solid color. Add decorative pillows and you can change them as the seasons changes. Place a patterned fabric ottoman in front of the sectional.
February 13, 2013 at 5:21pm   
lisamzeigler
The room is 26x13. This is not my furniture. My style I would call costal cottage. We do have a few pieces of key furniture. A brown leather sofa and 2 wooden and leather craftsman style chairs. The home was built in 1900 so I am hoping that we find some wonderful hardwood flooring under the carpet. I would like to paint the fireplace but don't know what color. I want something that enhances the view from the large window, but also has some intimate seating near the fireplace.
February 13, 2013 at 6:31pm   
Lizabeth
Hmm, the photo that I posted was of a room that was 15 x 25 so a little less of a shoebox but similar. perhaps you could paint the brick a creamy white and then do built in seating,
February 13, 2013 at 6:37pm