Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Open concept living room/dining room layout
Julie Dyer
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is what I have planned for the living area/dining area in our new home. It's the only layout for furniture I could come up with, any different suggestions?

Total sq foot of two rooms combined is 15' x 25'. Going for a sectional that is 95 x95, was suggested to me on here that would work and not look too large for the space.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
hevs
I have to ask where you made your layout design did you do it or did someone else? I need to do something like this in my house for furniture placement! There must be an app for that ;) thanks. In terms of the layout I think it looks nice although I might do a bit smaller than 95" in the sectional as your space might be tight with such a large sectional.
February 14, 2013 at 7:44am   
PRO
Dytecture
Just wondering where would one enter this space from the house ?
February 14, 2013 at 7:58am   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
What is behind the chair? Are those windows or a door wall? Also in the bottom right corner of the picture there is something rectangular pushed into the corner, what is that? Although i think this is a good start, on the side of the room with the sectional there is not enough space to move around correctly. You need to be able to get between the sectional and the fireplace and the coffee table is pushed right up against the sectional. One last question, will there be a TV on the sectional side of the room??
February 14, 2013 at 8:02am   
Julie Dyer
I did the layout on Urban Barn. I just couldn't figure out how to get it changed to a jpeg in order to upload here so I printed then took a picture. The reason there are no lables. It would take me forever to do this in photoshop!

@ the bottom right of the picture is the door entrance from the front porch and in that corner as door opens is the stairway going upstairs. On the top upper right corner behind the chair is a window and the odd square shape behind the chair is actually just a pouf seating for xtra seating (photo shown). The TV would go on a cabinet between the entrance door and the window on the right side wall. The square showing at the bottom of the photo across from the stairway is a beam, (might be a little to far foward but our kitchen goes off the room to the left behind the dining/area. I have a retangle coffee table from the Attic Heirlooms collection that may or not fit in that space. I could have moved it out some didnt' realize it was that close. The round thing is a barn light from Restoration Hardware above the table and in the entry of the main door.

I was going to go with an 85 x 85 sectional but someone suggest I could get away with a 95 x 95. If that is too large I haven't ordered the sectional yet (want to be certain it will fit and look proportionate to the room).
February 14, 2013 at 1:56pm   
Julie Dyer
??
February 15, 2013 at 7:10pm     
Laura Stermer
a standard double car garage is 18'4 x 20 side by side. If you have a friend who doesn't mind, you could chalk up her floor to designate furniture size and placement... a then take a look and "walk" around the space. :) Won't be exact on the width, but close.
February 15, 2013 at 7:31pm     
Laura Stermer
or painters tape will work - but don't drive on it.
February 15, 2013 at 7:32pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
Hi Julie,
The room looks somewhat crowded to me. It looks like it would be difficult to maneuver around the beam to get to the stairs and door. Do you think you might have 36" there? That would be small but maneuverable. 42" would be much better.
Please consider going with a smaller couch--small enough so that you could put it on the TV wall and move the TV over the fireplace. That would open up the room and make it possible to maneuver around the chair to get to the couch and fireplace area. You should have 36" - 42" to the stairs.

You might try purchasing the table/chairs/rug first and see how much room you have left. You could even cut out sheets of construction paper and tape them on the floor to see how you feel about the space before you purchase the couch and chair.
February 15, 2013 at 7:33pm     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I think I would just shorten the side of the sectional that buts up to the fireplace, if thats possible. If not then go with the smaller one. Then move the whole thing towards the beam a little. Just leave a little room between the fireplace and sectional, you should be able to walk through there. Then pull the coffee table out from the sectional, 12" is a good distance or even 18". I would also rotate the rug. You will now have an 'L' shaped sectional and the long side of your rug should run in the same direction as the long side of your sectional. I hope that helps!!
February 15, 2013 at 7:33pm     
gkemp
I don't think I would do a sectional at all. Rather, a small scale sofa (if not a love seat to face the tv) and two swivel chairs (flanking the tv). As shown, you have only one access/ exit to/ from the seating "pit." Also, I don't see any end tables or sofa tables. I would allow at least 30-36" between the fireplace and a piece of furniture. Also, are your tv (audio/ visual) components housed in an adjoining room/ closet? If not, you need to add a small console for this purpose. I think you want a larger circulation space at the front entry, maybe 4' square. You don't want your guests to have to enter single file and immediately have to deal with the obstruction of the sectional....
February 15, 2013 at 7:38pm     
Julie Dyer
Thank you all for your comments. I will take another look at it with consideration to all your suggestions. I do have a question, if the rug is turned in the living room, can you still have the rug in the dining room laying as is?
February 16, 2013 at 6:05am   
Julie Dyer
I've arranged the rug, changed size of sofa and possibly thinking a round coffee table to soften the look. I'm not sure I have all the diminsions as far as where the beam is but there is plenty of room walking thru the front entrance behind the sofa from when I did the layout of the sofa size in the actual room on the floor with tape. Will my rugs work like this? We bought a small leather chair and these are the fabrics I have picked out for sofa the solid linen for the sofa material with the other 3 printed fabrics for the pillows in 3, 2 and 1 in the bird fabric to go on the black leather chair steated in corner. The TV will go on the wall on the table (pictured). I do not want to put TV over fireplace.The couch looks odd just because I couldn't get a perfect selection of what was availble for size putting sectional pieces together, but the size is correct now.
February 16, 2013 at 6:53am     
Julie Dyer
The two rugs I have selected as well.... and colors on walls
February 16, 2013 at 6:59am     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Julie,
Yay!!! :)
Your new floor plan is a big improvement! The furniture is a much better scale, which creates better flow as well!
You've been offered (and have taken) some great advice on this thread!!!
Looks great!
Enjoy your new space!!!
Caroline
February 16, 2013 at 7:16am     
Julie Dyer
Thank you so much Caroline! I appreciate the kind words and feel much more confident of my design selections. I really was afraid of making a costly mistake :)
February 16, 2013 at 7:17am   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
My pleasure Julie!

I'll be honest....sometimes I cringe when I see some of the advice that's given to people!
All I can do is sit back, cross my fingers and hope that the "advice" is not taken! :S
In this case you were given good solid advice, and I'm happy to see you have taken it! :)
Please share photos once your project is complete!
I'm excited to see it all come together for you!!!
February 16, 2013 at 7:47am   
Julie Dyer
Thank you so much!! It's a wonderful concept to get advice from professional designers on this site. I'll be happy to post pictures when we get it all together ! You've made me feel quite confident and thank you for that and to all that gave me great advice !!
February 16, 2013 at 7:53am     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
LOVE IT! So fantastic and great rug, fabric and paint selections. What fun project and it all came together sooo nicely! and yes, you can have your rugs going two different directions! Post pictures when your finished!
February 16, 2013 at 8:13am     
Julie Dyer
Thank you A. Peltier Interiors on the wonderful advice!! I will for sure post pics :)!!!
February 16, 2013 at 9:20am     
PRO
Eagledzines
Julie, I love your selections and changes!
February 16, 2013 at 5:56pm     
Julie Dyer
Thank you so much eagledzines!! :)
February 16, 2013 at 8:42pm   
Kristi Dodson_Skinkis
One suggestion for a sectional... I am an apartment dweller, I may not have the option of living in the same house forever. I don't want to have to buy all new furniture if I move or want to change layout. I have a sectional from Pottery Barn that has interchangable pieces. They have had the same furniture lines for quite a while. I know that I will be able to find "extra pieces" 5 years down the line. They also have extra slipcovers which, if you have kids is an essential. Pieces are reasonable priced. Etsy.com has a lot of vendors who make slipcovers if you don't find exactly what you are looking for or in my case don't want a bright red sectional year round. One more plug for P.B., they have decorators who will come to your house or look at your layout for no cost. I like using one vendor, things match and fit. It is a lot better than I could do, left to my own devices! Best of luck!! Post pics when things are arranged?
February 16, 2013 at 9:06pm     
Julie Dyer
Thak you for your comment Kristi, I do LOVE Pottery Barn :) I did purchase everything thru a local design store. Great advice on the slipcovers!!! All the furniture we are purchasing is made in the USA and we really LOVE that! The piece we will purchase has been a staple in the companies line for years as well, wonderful advice! I will post pics when we get it all finished .... thank you again!
February 17, 2013 at 6:09am