powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with creating more of an inviting entry to my home!
Lisa M.
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I would appreciate your feedback on how to create a more welcoming entry to my home. I feel the double doors need more of a "softer" look. I thought of adding sidelights or a top light to the double doors, but my husband says that is not an option. We are re-siding the home with James Hardie cedar shake straight panels and putting stone veneer instead of the brick. I may add black shutters to the windows. I also included a picture of our inspiration for the exterior to help you out! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
It looks as if you are going in the exact opposite direction to your current look. Dark exterior + light shades to light exterior + dark shades.
1. Given your monochromatic colour scheme add a splash of colour on your door: fireman red, green or yellow will make it pop. If that is too much, go for a taupe.
2. You need two tall plants to balance out the front entrance and frame it. Small italian cypresses comes to mind.
3. Lighting - what can you do if the two options you have suggested have been nixed? Is there any scope for adding light other than maintaining the overhead centre light?
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:26AM
Jayme H.
Love your house..You could put bright containers with eye-catching plants on both sides of door for a start..Once your siding is done, new lighting fixtures..The front of your house needs some landscaping and that will help the look significantly...Mix textures and heights for interest, I love grasses, perennials, ornamental shrubs, and mixing in colorful annuals. Make sure grasses are not too tall, may need containing..this pic I accidently posted a taller variety.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:10AM
Jayme H.
Another grass & love throwing in a spiral here and there.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:12AM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Love the cedar. Gorgeous. You need some sconces on either side of that brick entry. Lanterns.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:16AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I totally agree with CMR...large sconces on either side of the door (people always tend to buy lighting fixtures that are too small). Also, I would paint the door a lighter color..it is too dark. I think the white shutters are too extreme. I would soften them with a tan color perhaps.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:32AM
Lisa M.
Thanks for all if your ideas! Jayme I love your pics. I will add the sconces and think landscaping will make a world of difference!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:23AM
Lisa M.
CMR, I am replacing the brick with stone. Should I create a border around the doorway with the stone?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:29AM
Judy M
If there is no room around the front door to add sidelights you could remove the double doors and add a single door with side lights. It's a great time when adding new siding to change the front door.

I would browse photos on this site for houses that combine brick and siding to get more visual ideas.

Except for the shutters, the house is just fading into the background.

Keep an eye on the amount of sun you get in each area around the house before planting to be sure you get the right plants for the amount of sunlight or they will not thrive.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:35AM
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:38AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
The problem is the flat door on the flat house. Create a covered entry by adding an angled extended roof line from a point just below the second story window. Have it cover the entire front porch area, held up by 2 simple pillars. From that, hang a large entry light. Leave your brick and paint your shutters the color of the brick. Then landscape with shrubbery along the front under the windows..some taller and some lower. Add a smaller roof over the side door as well.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:45AM
Lizabeth
I like the idea of a pergola or porch added to the front of the house using the round simple pillars and I would do a sem circle curved area of lower plantings in front of the concrete stoop to soften the hard edges. I think in this case painting the brick and spending money on the porch would be more effectiveuse of funds. It is a big house so getting the scale correct is important. Make sure to get drawings first. This will make your home so much more welcoming.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 7:53AM