Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with the selection of living room coffee table
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My living room is quite large and the way it is designed makes it very difficult to make it a warm space. The space in between the sofas it 10 feet and so if i buy a 5 foot (square) coffee table it is still too small. I don't want to also occupy the entire floor by an oversized coffee table since I have a feeling it will then make the room look small and so I have no Idea of the shape and size of the table I should get. My taste is urban modern and preferably a coffee table in wood and not glass. Can you help me??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
Here is some more pictures for reference
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
Misty Doherty
Not sure about a table, but your loveseat could use a throw blanket.
Here are some suggestions for a table,http://www.shop.com/mistydoherty/~~wood+top+coffee+table+-internalsearch+260.xhtml
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:25PM
Aja Mazin
Beautiful room!

Move your sofas away from the walls so that they are closer together.

Or

Place one sofa at a right angle to the other - to the right on the far wall, and place the chairs
against the window.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:26PM
Darzy
How about 2 "smaller" coffee tables and then it will still feel spacious.

2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:31PM
PRO
Staged & Styled by Susan
You need some color in this room...Add some colorful throw pillows (4-5) and a beautiful throw. By the way, your picture is way to high - bring it way down (about 4 inches above the top of the sofa) For a coffee table, perhaps something with some texture - a dark seagrass round ottoman with a piece of glass on top would be a nice coffee table. Also need some lighting (table lamps - perhaps a small table between the two cream colored chairs. Add nice textured pillows to those chairs also.
I would also put down an area rug...since your furniture is neutral, choose something with colors that you like and then you could pull out the colors from the rug to use in the pillows.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:33PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
Thank you :) I've tried having the sofas further away from the walls but it didn't look good, the space is big but not big enough to have the sofas away from the wall and make it look good. Any other ideas?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:39PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
I like the minimalist look, I'm not keen in adding pillows or a throw since this room is not a family room. I haven't decorated much since the lighting needs to be changed as well as the drapery. My real dilemma still remains the coffee table :)
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:46PM
PRO
Staged & Styled by Susan
I looked at your photos again - take the 2 chairs that are in back of your dining room table area and move them across from the couch area. So the two chairs will be facing the couch (that will give you a nice conversation area) Once you get an area rug, that will anchor everything. Move the other chair that is in the picture, somewhere else. You have too much furniture in the room I think. If you move those two chairs it will open up the dining area and you will have more room to walk thru the room.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:46PM
PRO
Staged & Styled by Susan
You may be into minimalist decorating, but you still need some pillows on your couch. If you don't want color; use texture in the pillows. Maybe animal prints or tweeds. Accessories in a room are like icing on a cake; the finishing touch.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:50PM
fancee44
Nice looking room, although try to place one of the sofas where the two chairs are, and then move the chairs where the sofa is, but place them at an angle. One in the corner by the window facing at an angle then put the other chair on the other side and angle it towards the other chair. Try bringing out some the colors that are in the painting on the wall. A nice area rug would bring warmth as well as style to the room. Then find some jazzy throw pillars to add more flair. If if need a little extra storage, try using floating shelves. Maybe on on each side of the window or wherever you like them. A few what knots on your shelves and your room will have a new look. It's hard to rearrange small spaces so you want to be careful not to over crowd the space. Good luck and I would love to hear if you use my idea and if you liked it.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:50PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
As you can see in the picture i have a 3 place sofa, one love seat and 2 chairs
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:58PM
Ashley Coleman
a circle one
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:59PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
I thought of placing the love seat where the chairs are but when I do it blocks the entrance of the dining room and makes the entire room look smaller, it really is a ver difficult space to arrange. I thank you all however for your suggestions but thus far i have already tried all those arrangements and none look good
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:04PM
PRO
Staged & Styled by Susan
Well, sometimes this is very hard to hear, but I think you may have too much furniture in the room. Perhaps one of the chairs could be moved to your master bedroom or a guest room.
3 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:08PM
nramsey1
Once you get an area rug you will have an easier time deciding on a table. Acrylic would look great with ur furniture and would show off the rug. Make the rug a conversation piece with bold pattern. Since u don't like throw pillows and I think ur furniture is too sleek for throw pillows use a throw. Perhaps bolster pillows in chairs.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:03PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
I stll am looking for good advice regarding coffee table suggestions, please help !!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:00PM
spmm
You could place a small lamp table next to the 'left' wall chaise and a small coffee table parallel to the right hand sofa which would also be reachable by the right hand single chair.
That leaves space to access the windows and provide more intimacy in one area with the opportunity to put a lamp and glasses etc near the door.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:19AM
Rachel Miller
If you just want to focus on the topic of a coffee table: I would suggest using two in different textures/sizes. Varying heights will break up the space. I will attach some pictures that depict what I mean although some are not your style. Hopefully you will see the concept I am going for. This room absolutely needs a rug. One you have a rug the coffee table won't need to be giant. You will see it makes a world of a difference. I would also try using something round to compliment all the straight lines.
5 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:57AM
Darzy
I think this reclaimed wood and metal coffee table would fit nicely into your style yet mix it up a bit.

1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 1:31PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
Thank you so much for really concentrating on the topic and giving me constructive advice. Also I will definitely take in consideration the area rug, if I put a cow skin rug will it be nice?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:55PM
Hripsime Gedjakouchian
What about colors, which color should my coffee table be? As you can see my dining room table is dark brown mixed with a bit or red, does my coffee table need to be the same color or can I change and get something lighter? Please advise :) thank you
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:01PM
Rachel Miller
A cow skin rug would look really nice I love those. Dining table and coffee table do not need to match...you could do a lighter table with a darker brown cow skin rug.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:05PM
Darzy
I really like your idea of a cow skin rug. You may need two side by side since the open space is so large.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:13PM
Darzy
Here is a nice size cowhide rug. If you can't find one large enough or do not want to use two, you could layer the bottom with a sisal rug, and the cowhide on top.
loft living room
UP05
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:17PM
Darzy
You can mix wood tones but I wouldn't go too light for your coffee table. A medium or dark wood tone, but not something like light maple or oak.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:25PM
suz1812
I definitely think it would be nice to add some softer elements, and one suggestion would be to think about a large fabric-upholstered ottoman rather than a coffee table. Overstock.com has some really nice ones.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:29PM
suz1812
And yes, definitely a big area rug to soften and anchor the space!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:38PM
suz1812
Sorry, here's a pic of an example from o.co that would really liven up and soften the space
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:44PM
basil1234
I agree with susan2115. The first impression I got from the room is that there is too much furniture. Also agree to moving the two chairs opposite the sofa. If you want to create a bit more intimacy push the two chairs closer to the sofa and place a desk or console table on the wall behind the 2 chairs. A rug will anchor the room and the furniture grouping. You've had some great suggestions for a coffee table! It would be great to see the finished product.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:52PM
Lauren Michaels
You have a great space! Here's a great shop on Etsy for wooden coffee tables. They have a modern edge to them with fantastic quality that would still keep the space open.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrbanWoodGoods?section_id=10585179
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:54PM
gielliott
Your furniture is great! Have you tried angling the sofas? I think a coffee table or ottoman with round edges would make it less square and might make angled furniture arrangement feel better. You could try doing some cardboard mock ups of shapes and play with them in the space--maybe even just different size boxes--and rearrange things until your happy. I think there is a little bit too much furniture but you know what you need to live with. Good luck!!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:15PM
Mike Slater
Hi Hripsime Gedjakouchian: I pulled some examples of coffee tables that might work in your space from the online store Yliving.com. All the examples come in a range of colors. I think a rug and a coffee table will help, not just the coffee table. Personally, I'm not a fan of pillows on leather couches.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:21PM
Mike Slater
Here are four more:
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:22PM
Mike Slater
Last one:
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:22PM
Mike Slater
Again, each example has different colors available. I won't say any are cheap, though. Glass or acrylic would work well, too, if you had a strong rug.

Good luck!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:24PM
PRO
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:52PM
victoriawest100
While I love the idea of cowhide, an area rug, as large as you can fit and afford, will pull this room together - overstock.com is a good source if you're on a budget. To keep the center of the room open, try an acrylic coffee table with a few interesting objects on it in front of one sofa and small side tables next to the other. If you feel the furniture is overwhelming the space, you might find another spot for one of the chairs.
0 Likes   February 11, 2014 at 4:06PM