Users
full mirrowed wall living room
graciousone
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Take it down or creative shelving , help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
The mirror really dates the room along with the carpet, I would look into replacing both items.
6 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:06PM
Lkristine
Electric fireplace framed out with TV above, even though some say that's a NO NO? Keep the mirrored aspect on the sides while adding shelving........Keep in mind, I have no idea what your personal style is. Just offering an idea that could work as transitional depending on your personal taste.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:06PM
Darzy
I would take it off.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:07PM
wildfan
If it were my room, I would take it down.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:45PM
kwistina
Definitely take it down. What if you make a mistake with your idea about creative shelving, and now you have holes in the mirror? Among other things . . . Really cramps your creative juices owning a wall you can't put nails through
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:51PM
Victoria Pierce
bye bye to mirrors... putting up shelves will probably crack the mirrors.. carpet and mirrors have to go... this is going to be a great room...
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:56PM
Joanne Heidkamp
Another vote cast to remove the mirrors. They limit your options.
I'm sure its hard to imagine the room without them, but once they are gone you'll see so many possibilities.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:02PM
graciousone
Thank for the input. Have picked a beautiful ceramic tile. Like the fireplace idea even though in florida.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:41PM
Victoria Pierce
Lived in Florida... there are days that the fireplace will be a good idea.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:47PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Not so fast...! Mirrored walls can be very interesting. Take a look at the ones below.. Now, I know that all these have an aged effect to them... but there may be a creative solution to make yours work...depending on the style that you are going for.

Perhaps you could hang some interesting empty frames like a gallery wall... you can suspend them from a rail at the top of the wall.

Or perhaps you could create an interesting treillage effect with applied moldings or actual trellises for a conservatory look

I'm sure I can come up with some other ideas as well...
5 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:03PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Here is another room with clear glass mirror... not too shabby...
7 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:07PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
What will make a big difference is the flooring...

I like the seagrass in the one photo... clean and fresh feeling... yet keeps the space toned down. A nice oriental rug could even go over the seagrass.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:12PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Also... looks like the stair case is going to need to be painted out... it looks kind of chunky... and it would be best for it to blend in.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:15PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
I am with Terri - your living room looks quite a low ceiling without much light. That is probably what the mirror was put in there for. Not only does it double the capacity but adds much needed light.
You can change out the carpeting and buy shelves without backing. This will negate the huge "ballet studio" feel that you have now. Take a picture of this room, and then place a coloured or white sheet over where the mirror is to see how quickly the room will shrink in size (visually).
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 1:42AM
charleee
I wouldn't take the mirror down. Instead I would add a floor lamp on each end, and bookshelves/media center between, with the same wood tone in the stairway: [houzz=Tripod Floor Lamp by Sandy Chapman]
[houzz=Ventana Bookshelf]
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 2:43AM
PRO
BM Mid East
either way, you can do so much with this space. I love mirrors and mirrored walls and I am with Terri. i would update the floor...weather you add more modern printed carpet, wall-to-wall sisal, or wood floors, etc. what do you use the room for or intend to use it for all depends on what you choose to do. i see some light coming in from the side...is it a tri-level? if so, you can afford to be without the mirrors. I, personally, love how mirrors add sparkle and life to any room! my vote is to keep them.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 3:06AM
graciousone
This is the patio area 14x20 off livingroom. Love the mirrowed rooms you posted. This room does have limited lite since the patio is covered and fenced, on a sunny day better lite otherwise limited. Good note on stairs also.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:37PM
lacrum
I would take down the mirrors, frame them out in some hand-distressed wood, and sell them for a couple hundred each :)
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:54PM
Becky
What if you added nice picture frame moulding to the outside and framed it? You could use a wood color or a metal tone like gold or silver as fancy or plain as suits your taste. This is done in bathrooms these days to update the look and makes it look totally custom. See photos before/after. Link with idea: http://www.hgtv.com/bathrooms/how-to-frame-a-plate-glass-wall-mirror/index.html it's fairly inexpensive. The moulding sample pic is $9 per foot on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picture-Frame-Moulding-HUGE-GOLD-LEAF-ORNATE-/390112717184#vi-content (not my listing and I know nothing about the seller) Wide trim would probably look best. Don't hang shelves on it, as suggested above, it could crack. Hanging lights from the ceiling near the mirror would be really pretty at night when lit. The long chandelier in each corner... wow! (lose the track lighting)
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:42PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
No, to taking down the mirror. Ceiling is low and how much natural light does the room have? How will this room be used? Know first what your plan is for the room before tearing out a wall of mirror. Once you have created a plan it will become abundantly clear what needs to be done regarding the mirror.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:10PM
charleee
If you decide to take it down, instead can you wallpaper over it?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:22AM
DIAspoton
keep the mirror wall. change the floor. get rid of the track lights. the rest depends on how you plan to use the room. what furniture you already have. your overall style. see the potential.

keep the mirror wall.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:41AM
Darzy
IMHO, modifying the wall to "fit" the mirror...bookcases, electrical FP,etc, will only look like you tried to disguise the mirrored wall. An entire wall of mirrors reminds me of the 80s model homes that were too small to really live comfortably and the designers tried to make the room look bigger to sell.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 1:14PM
Darzy
Or, maybe I don't like it because mirrors, like the camera, adds 10 lbs. :)
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 1:17PM
charleee
Darzy! Mirrors add 10 pounds? So that's my problem! hehehe
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 2:09PM
cani
I vote to keep the mirrors, at least until you get the room done and if you still hate them you can still remove them.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 4:08PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
yikes REMOVE mirrors its so dated!
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 4:58PM
rawketgrl
Hi graciousone

I am not sure what you are planning on using this space for. Mirror walls can be incorporated into a giltzy living room design style but usually they remind me of: Vegas, the 80's, a dance studio, an exercise room or a dressing room. I am assuming this is a living room. Is this a formal living room for entertaining or a daily use family living area? I would probably tear it out if it is a family living area. Maybe it is a dining room. It might create some neat drama if it is a dining room and you hang deep velvet drapes on either side with a large piece of art in center.

I think the real question here is what does the mirror reflect? Maybe if the staircase were painted white it might be a better reflection but I think it will still be a lot going on in the low ceiling room.

The staircase and the wall paper in the hall and the mirror wall are all different styles. What style do you like? Start there and this decision will get easier.

I like the tile you picked out. Are you putting it down in the floor?
What part of the house is the latest picture you posted? Is it the entryway? It looks like it has a dark concrete floor with a fence around it?

Post more pictures of your style and these awesome Houzzers will give you a bunch of great ideas.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:09PM
Victoria Pierce
I was always told to only use mirrors when you liked what they reflect ... if they reflect a beautiful garden ... yeah.... a staircase.. ummm
the room needs light.. but maybe lots of ceiling lights.. recessed... those big can lights are really dated..
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:25PM
nukiegirl
Rawket and Victoria you took the words out of my mouth! I do have a few full length mirrors myself at the house that were professionally installed but when I look into mine I see the river and trees so I was bring the outside inside to my home without turning around to see it! Yes new floors would be aplus too.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:00PM
graciousone
Thank u all for your input. Great food for thought. Here is a look at my first furniture placement with my existing furniture. I am thinking of asking the association if the outside fencing can be removed to let in more lite. This space is for single adult pre-retirement living and entertainment purposes and yes the chain hanging lite fixture will have to go.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:47AM
Victoria Pierce
Paint that staircase white... and put in recessed lights... and I think you will have a winner.. and a colorful rug...
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:53AM
nononanna
Unless your style is really rustic, the room could be fabulous with the mirrors. But you can't do it halfway - either play them up or forget them.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:04AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
If you replace your current lights with recessed fixtures, paint the staircase and place your dining room light on a dimmer, you will have a very pleasant and comfortable room.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:34AM