Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Side windows beside front door!
crimsonky
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What can you cover these side windows with for privacy?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
There are films for obscuring the glass. You can purchase it online or at HD or Lowe's. Let's through the light but not the eyes.
February 13, 2013 at 6:24pm     
crimsonky
Good idea. Thanks!
February 13, 2013 at 6:33pm   
einportlandor
Country Curtains makes some sheers for these if you're so inclined.
February 13, 2013 at 6:37pm   
jmarron
I purchased a clear leaded glass kit at Lowe's and loved the results. It lets in the daylight but manages to keep it private even when you have lights on at night, people cannot see in.
You have the ability to see out when someone is at the door, enough to see an image. The kit also comes in the colored glass but for my purposes less was more.You have to have a little patience because there is a slight pattern with the leaded glass look and you will want to centerize and keep the pattern even within each frame. It is a truly a simple project. I bought two kits, one for each side of the door and I think they were priced at $30 ea. I originally had French paneled curtains on each side which were held taught by tension rods and was very happy to get rid of them. Good luck!
February 13, 2013 at 6:38pm     
Chanel
I have used Bali custom blinds since that's what goes with the rest of my house.
The beauty of using blinds is that you can keep them open when you dont want privacy
February 13, 2013 at 6:51pm     
PRO
wesscoblinds
There is a spray at the fabric store to give that frosted look. If you hate it just remove. A big shutter over entire space would give you a good look. The only thing to remember is the depth of a blind can get in the way of door traffic
February 13, 2013 at 11:08pm   
PRO
February 14, 2013 at 12:10am     
sunshinemama941
Lb interiors- where would I find the palm leaf film? I have a small window above my back door and while I don't think it needs privacy, I think it'd add an interesting element to the room.
February 14, 2013 at 4:34am   
PRO
Accentuate Home Styling & Consulting
Wallpaper for windows. You can buy all types of film that will look great from the outside and in. Go to a paint store or a shop that sells window decor.
February 14, 2013 at 5:15am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Two ideas:
Many have mentioned removable film in patterns. Here is a UK source: http://www.brume.co.uk/c/11/decorative-film or
under strict client budget limitations, I bought burlap and sewed them into panels using jute webbing as a border and pinned them to the windows. Lets light in, stops strangers seeing in.
February 14, 2013 at 6:14am   
hmoody2398
You a put a little curtain over the part that people can see through.
A lot of people I know like privacy and they have a curtain over that part.
February 16, 2013 at 5:50pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
@ sunshinemama941 Sorry for the delay. Online at ... windowfilmworld.com.
February 16, 2013 at 7:02pm   
Keitha
Here are some window covering ideas.
February 16, 2013 at 7:13pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Shutters are usually the best option . Most companies dont make blinds that small that will operate accept for shutters.
February 17, 2013 at 6:48am     
Denice Shuty
I bought an inexpensive jute shade at Cost Plus World Market just to use the fabric itself, not the shade mechanism. I cut the fabric to fit and made a piece of moulding to hang it from, with a valance and bottom piece of bamboo that I split.
February 17, 2013 at 6:58am   
sherry812
I didn't want people seeing in the oval we had in our front door. Ben Franklin had this before they closed here and now Michaels carries it. I am pretty sure you should be able to get it on the internet. Not very expensive at all, I think every bottle is less than 10 dollars and you make your own pattern or use a stencil. We also used it on our bathroom window before we got new windows. It is called Gallery Glass, window color. On the bottle it says create stained glass look. It is made by PLAID. Our neighbors used it too. You can see light through it and if a light is on you can make out figures I think but it all depends on the pattern you do. My husband basically did swirls and it looks great but you could do just about anything with it. Easy to use and it takes a couple days depending on the temperatures to dry. It will be white but this dries clear. Make sure your get the CRYSTAL CLEAR unless you want one of the colors or mix them. I really don't think you will be disappointed with it. If you want to, practice on a piece of glass to see how it flows. It is inexpensive and easy to do...that is what we wanted. But it looks professional even with just the swirls. I had my husband swirl it on our backdoor so people couldn't see us eating. The number on my bottle is 16001 if you want the crystal clear look. If you want it harder to see in for people, then put it on thicker. I think we even went and added extra layers later.
February 17, 2013 at 7:21am     
More Discussions
We are building new home and need a neutral paint color
We are building a new house and have a very open floor...
What type of flooring
This is picture of new cabinets an countertop Need...
Kitchen backsplash
Chosen backsplash was discontinued AFTER I took out...
i need to raise my bed side tables
My bedside table are actually cubes. my bed is now...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.